Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are you certain that participating in the deriviatives market constitutes insider trading? I recall that back in the '90s Microsoft made 11% of their income through derivatives on MSFT.

Has there been a change in SEC rules regarding derivatives? Can you point to the regulation? Thanks.

I didn't say the very act of participating in trading was insider trading. But front-running the market with inside information about FSD certainly would be.

• Informative
Reactions: Artful Dodger
If Musk is using the word "battery" to mean a "container of cells" then what is he using the word "module" to refer to?
A module is also technically a battery. Even the module itself is technically made up of batteries because the Tesla modules use packaged cells (thus batteries) in their batteries and modules. Battery | Definition of Battery by Lexico

Musk (and Tesla) use the word module to refer to a sub-component of their full vehicle battery pack. The word "module" is very flexible and can refer to almost any kind of sub-component.

Colloquially, sometimes people use the word "battery" when they mean "cell". My original point was that it would be false to ascribe an "electrochemical cell" meaning to the word "battery" by claiming someone is being very precise with their language. That actually requires imprecise or colloquial speech.

A toaster is quite an accurate representation of TSLA. Someone pushes it down, but then it pops back up, goes higher and then stabilizes. Rarely, it pops clear out of the toaster and stays there.

o_O Yes, you would have the same light level after 9 days, but shifting clock back an hour gets you dawn one hour earlier (chronologically) every day it is in effect.
Accelerated change with made up sunrise:
Original DST
8:00 7:00
8:15 7:15
8:30 7:30
8:45 7:45
9:00 8:00

Still pointless. The sun just plain goes away in the winter; it's down when you go to work and it's down when you go home from work, regardless of whether you shift it an hour or not. Even when it's technically "above the horizon", it isn't in practice because the arc is so low, so pretty much everything blocks it. Shifting things around by a matter of days isn't even remotely worth the hassle.

Last edited:
Good summary of why Tesla's TAM is limited to re-roofs --we tried for over a year to get Tesla to work with our custom new home builder-zero interest and no idea how to make it possible. Tesla may be able to attract a few boutique builders in California, but there is insuficient in-house competence to structure any meaningful relationship with large nationwide or regional tract home builders.

Needing competing teams to figure out at this point the best techniques for installation ought to be a canary.
Seriously? You tried to get a Tesla solar roof for your home? That is really hard to believe.

I'm open to being convinced otherwise: in what way is a short-seller in advantage over a long-buyer, without the uptick rule in place?

Both are able to mark up or down the price in a similar fashion via LIMIT or MARKET orders, and both have to provide similar trading power to back their transactions:

But it isn't the same. A short can set a sell price of $0.01 and cause a transaction to be booked at $0.01 instantly. A long can set their sell price to $1000, but nothing is going happen until nobody else is willing to sell lower.

Essentially the person willing to sell at the lowest price sets the current stock price.

pre-market just turned green :rolleyes: I really struggle with taking profit (too early?) today, it just went up so fast this past week, I can't believe the gains. :confused:

- i believe Tesla's current market valuation represents a small fraction of its actual value.
- i also believe there are a LOT of short sellers who are going to be getting out this week -- either by choice or otherwise.
- furthermore, with a profitable quarter in their back pocket, institutional investors are finally likely to take Tesla at their word that future quarters will be generally profitable.
- And feel free to pick and choose which of these items you have any faith in driving up expectations in the near future: Shanghai GF production start, European GF announcement, FSD, Solar Roof, Robotaxi progress, Tesla Pickup Truck reveal, Semi news, Model Y production ...

way too many factors pressing upward to get out right now.

pre-market just turned green :rolleyes: I really struggle with taking profit (too early?) today, it just went up so fast this past week, I can't believe the gains. :confused:
There is no way to figure out when a short squeeze will end. Struggled with that a couple of times (if you can call it a struggle). Cannot determine in real time when those needing to cover have. High volumes don’t help. Most of the volume is from astute traders recognizing the squeeze and jumping in. Many of those shares will be traded on a daily basis bought in am and sold in afternoon. Many thinking the price of the stock too high will initiate a short position only having to cover days later as the stock price gets away from them. Of course the margin call deadline delays the need to cover immediately with false hope it’s not really happening. I believe the best strategy is to just enjoy it but if your a trader or need to cash in then would not attempt to pick the absolute peak price. Would consider selling small amounts of your position over days rather than pick what you believe is the peak price

• Informative
Reactions: Papafox and hobbes
But it isn't the same. A short can set a sell price of $0.01 and cause a transaction to be booked at $0.01 instantly. A long can set their sell price to $1000, but nothing is going happen until nobody else is willing to sell lower.

Essentially the person willing to sell at the lowest price sets the current stock price.

That doesn't sound right. He'll be matched with the book, so to sell for $0.01 he'd have to sell enough to take out the whole book, as far as I can tell.

Thinking about PG&E grid shutdown and battery backup...

Eventually (esp with million mile battery), won't having V2G capability make a lot of sense?

Consumer buys power wall + solar to maintain stability, optimize TOU rates, etc... If these are owned, Tesla could allow access to vehicle battery as a backup in case of multi-day grid shutdowns. The amount of cycles ever used would be minimal over the life of the car.

This stills needs a power wall so I see thr demand for both cars and batteries going up as people see the synergy. Thoughts?

How nice.png

How lovely. I wonder if this was because the shorties had to buy after their margine calls last week.

Reactions: flabellina
A module is also technically a battery. Even the module itself is technically made up of batteries because the Tesla modules use packaged cells (thus batteries) in their batteries and modules. Battery | Definition of Battery by Lexico

Musk (and Tesla) use the word module to refer to a sub-component of their full vehicle battery pack. The word "module" is very flexible and can refer to almost any kind of sub-component.

Colloquially, sometimes people use the word "battery" when they mean "cell". My original point was that it would be false to ascribe an "electrochemical cell" meaning to the word "battery" by claiming someone is being very precise with their language. That actually requires imprecise or colloquial speech.

This discussion is really beating around the bush. Let's back-up:

Musk said the new building next to G3 was so Tesla could manufacture "batteries and modules". Please explain what two things he was talking about. Because it gets kind of far-fetched to claim he must have meant battery (packs) and modules (referring also to packs).