Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon has resurfaced on Twitter: Elon Musk on Twitter

upload_2019-11-4_23-15-2.png

Btw, haven't received update 36.1 yet, but looking at this tweet
K10 ✨ #FreeTeslaTruth on Twitter

I just realized it's a major convenience feature.
Get in to a warm cabin every morning? Wow, no other car has this.

I initially thought auto-folding mirrors were a gimmick, but it's a really neat feature simplifying my entry into garage every time.

It's little things like that that win you over day-to-day, not just Netflix streaming on the screen that you may use once a month.

Btw, haven't received update 36.1 yet, but looking at this tweet
K10 ✨ #FreeTeslaTruth on Twitter
Get in to a warm cabin every morning? Wow, no other car has this.
It's little things like that that win you over day-to-day, not just Netflix streaming on the screen that you may use once a month.

Other cars do have cabin heating options, I guess these options are not offered in warm climate. But cool that Tesla have it as a standard.
And I heard Netflix is going away from Tesla, at least for some time. But I got your point and you are right

I'm of the personal belief that most, if not all of the shorts are not gambling with their own money. They're playing with house money that has been provided from the fossil fuel industries.
The idea that there is a conspiracy by oil companies to hobble Tesla by shorting their stock is something that has been postulated many times on this board. The idea that anyone believes it is remarkable to me, just another example of the bias this board demonstrates every day. Attacking the character of your adversary is something worthy of a high schooler, although we see it all the time now.

First, stock manipulation is a crime. Second, gains and losses from stock positions are reported quarterly and not doing so is a crime. Third, a conspiracy like this would have to involve dozens of people and somewhere in there somebody would let it slip. Fourth, there is very little benefit to shorting the stock in any amount less than Billions of dollars - which makes it very hard to hide. Fifth, what happens if the stock goes to $1,000? How are you going to hide the Billions in losses? Six, why would any (very well compensated) executive take such a risky action? Seven, why would any exec expose themselves to blackmail? I'm sure there are many more reasons why this theory is ridiculous, but I limited myself to the first ones to come to mind.

If you believed in this conspiracy - for even a minute - you need to look inwards and find whatever it is that has caused you to lose your "center." This is an investment board, and the money is real. It can affect your life in a big way. Look at both sides of the story and make judgements without the religious fervor.

With that said, I love the products, I love the stock and I expect to never sell my shares.

Anyone read the Forbes article (Contributed) about Tesla investors missing the point. It’s pretty negative just talks about yoy decline and flat sales. They considered it a bad sign that operating cost are down when this is suppose to be a growth company. Obviously choosing what they like to compare and ignoring the fact that they are selling every vehicle they make still, it’s coming from one factory (soon to be two). At the end of the day you have to view sales as sales from a car company. How many cars can they produce and how many are they selling? Are the margins good or bad? This isn’t like selling phones where you can continue to have massive leaps in numbers (although Tesla has done that). But at any point you can pause and print out the negatives, when the story as a whole is an incredible achievement. The investors are putting their money up because they see a company that has performed miracles, shown ability to ramp up production, the brand is strong, the growth has been ideal, they have built this monster that is expanding from so many different angles that it’s an injustice to worry about Q3-18 v. Q3-19. There’s a lot going on here and things are going to keep getting better.

The idea that there is a conspiracy by oil companies to hobble Tesla by shorting their stock is something that has been postulated many times on this board. The idea that anyone believes it is remarkable to me, just another example of the bias this board demonstrates every day. Attacking the character of your adversary is something worthy of a high schooler, although we see it all the time now.

First, stock manipulation is a crime. Second, gains and losses from stock positions are reported quarterly and not doing so is a crime. Third, a conspiracy like this would have to involve dozens of people and somewhere in there somebody would let it slip. Fourth, there is very little benefit to shorting the stock in any amount less than Billions of dollars - which makes it very hard to hide. Fifth, what happens if the stock goes to $1,000? How are you going to hide the Billions in losses? Six, why would any (very well compensated) executive take such a risky action? Seven, why would any exec expose themselves to blackmail? I'm sure there are many more reasons why this theory is ridiculous, but I limited myself to the first ones to come to mind.

If you believed in this conspiracy - for even a minute - you need to look inwards and find whatever it is that has caused you to lose your "center." This is an investment board, and the money is real. It can affect your life in a big way. Look at both sides of the story and make judgements without the religious fervor.

With that said, I love the products, I love the stock and I expect to never sell my shares.
I’ve talked to many of the oil and gas guys around West Texas and none of them view EV’s as a threat. They are more concerned with stabilizing their field. Which a couple actually think EV’s could help with. I’ve ran into some of the blue collar workers that get angry about EV’s but the guys at the top don’t mind them at all. In fact a few find Tesla’s fascinating. At this moment in time they just aren’t a real threat, and if someone could promise these guys oil stabilizes around $60 a barrel for the next 15 years they’d take it in a heartbeat.
But that’s a small sample size, I think foreign governments face a much more real threat to EV’s with some laws coming into effect. They could be a part of some bigger conspiracy. Typically in the US we will see those conspiracies play out in lobbyist efforts, versus under the table money to a group of short investors. But some would say it’s one in the same.

Other cars do have cabin heating options, I guess these options are not offered in warm climate. But cool that Tesla have it as a standard.
And I heard Netflix is going away from Tesla, at least for some time. But I got your point and you are right
You mean other EVs have scheduled charging/heating tailored to your departure time?
Which ones?

I wouldn't try this in ICE in my garage due to cabon monoxide poisoning concerns ;)

There is a general push back against Renewable Energy and EVs in some media outlets, particularly the Murdoch press.
And there seem an over zealous approach to slowing down any progress towards reducing CO2 emissions from some governments, which I put down to lobbying and political donations..
Also some evidence Russia is meddling in politics worldwide, to get the kind of governments they like elected.
Essentially political power provides a bigger handbrake than shorting the stock will ever do.
I don't think there is any conspiracy to short the stock, but individual shorts may be encouraged and funded by Fossil Fuel industry groups and their media allies. Funding for political purposes is routed though channels designed to obscure the source and destination, some portion of that funding could be diverted to a short fund, we would never know...
But even if this is a happening it is likely to be no more than 10% of the short interest, the political game is the main game for these players.
So what are the other 90% of shorts?
The best bet is the are a diverse bunch and out of that 90%, around 30% are professionals who will time and handle their exit well.
Around 30% are fully committed, totally irrational and will be last our the door. Most of the noise is made by this 30%.
I'm sure RE and EVs are going to win easily in the end, ultimately that is all that counts...

You mean other EVs have scheduled charging/heating tailored to your departure time?
Which ones?

I wouldn't try this in ICE in my garage due to cabon monoxide poisoning concerns ;)

My 2011 Leaf has this feature. Honestly not sure what took Tesla so long here.

Edit: Arguably the Leaf timer is still superior as it can set two separate timers.

I just discovered a Tesla delivery estimator account Troy Teslike: Twitter. I guess he’s well known. He’s currently guesstimating 104k Tesla deliveries for Q4 Let’s see a show of hands - who here thinks that Tesla/Musk would let themselves fall 1000 vehicles short of their delivery guidance for the year?
I’ll play.

I’ll say 114K +/- 2K.

Howzat? :)

I saw 4 pieces of news that's positive for Tesla today.

1. IBD sent out an article saying "Tesla is perhaps the most polarizing company. Now Tesla stock has its first real buy point of 2019." I have no idea why they think today is the first real buy point.

Today is not the buy point. Check the article. 240 is the buy point. IBD article is using TA to point out that if TSLA hits ~240, it will be a buy. They didn't really explain their TA, but I think it's some kind of "cup and handle" pattern. I can only guess that 240 was the recent high (last week), and if TSLA hits that again, it would be a buy (according to them).

• Funny
Reactions: Thumper