Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
TBH I really don't think (as an investor) that cybertruck announcement will move the stock at all. Investors are aware of the model Y, the roadster 2020 and the semi, none of which are currently being produced. Another product that will be produced in the future is way less exciting than firm evidence that the S/X/3 are flying off the shelves.
Show me decent ASP on model 3, reduced costs on model 3, and increased month-by-month shipments of model 3 worldwide, and I'm super-happy as an investor.

An update on semi / Y production dates would be great, but frankly I'll get excited about the pickup once those other talked-about-but-not-released products are actually starting to roll off production lines.

How do Tesla's purported talks with CATL regarding a role in global cell supply square with battery day and our conjecture up to now
3 problems with that report:
  1. it reported on discussions that occurred this past Summer; not recently
  2. there was an 'understanding' in principle; no signed agreement
  3. its a Bloomberg story; they continuously look for FUD to spin
Cheers!

Tesla is pretty much the only "triple play" company that has both car/hardware, CarOS and FSD businesses.

In baseball, a "triple play" is a success by the team on defense. Tesla is definitely on the offence, not defense. Rather than calling it a "triple play" I would suggest Tesla is set up for a bases-loaded home run. ;)

But in the meantime, I think we all know which headlines we're going to see:

A) "Tesla takes pickup trucks into the future with bold design, thrilling features."
OR
B) "Tesla pushes pickup design boundaries too far, alienates truck buyers with outlandish weirdmobile."

What I want the market to see:
C) "Tesla unveils brand-new advanced vehicle platform for pickup trucks, SUVs, and vans."
I'm hoping for

D) "Urban Cowboy crowd that use their trucks to commute to work and for Home Depot trips once every few months figure out they can save a few hundred a month in gas while not having their fragile masculinity damaged. "

Last edited:
Ok, why is nobody bringing up this major news piece:
Elon Musk on Twitter

How can they put more than 100kWh into S/X?
Is it possible with current 18650, 2170?
My understanding was no.

From what I remembering the past, Elon said they couldn't increase capacity of the pack unless they redesigned a good portion of the platform(not sure if that's the correct term)?

Well, this escalated quickly ;)

View attachment 473737

Just to keep my role as devil´s advocate - this is only driven by NL so far, NO and ES still lower than previous quarters (but as we´ve seen with NL this can change quickly). Not that I don´t love the record-setting by NL, but this will stop by year end when their tax exemption ends.

If Project Titan has truly been abandoned (at least in terms of actually manufacturing vehicles), I have to agree with Antares that AAPL will be looking closely (once again) at TSLA. I know this topic has been beat to death in the past, but I'm wondering - given Tesla's upward trajectory at the current time, is there any arrangement between the two companies that could be beneficial to TSLA and shareholders?

For the record, like most here, I oppose an acquisition. What could a partnership look like? Is Tesla really better off on their own, or is there a mutually beneficial arrangement for the two companies?

Just to keep my role as devil´s advocate - this is only driven by NL so far, NO and ES still lower than previous quarters (but as we´ve seen with NL this can change quickly). Not that I don´t love the record-setting by NL, but this will stop by year end when their tax exemption ends.
It doesn't just "end", it steps down I believe.

If Project Titan has truly been abandoned (at least in terms of actually manufacturing vehicles), I have to agree with Antares that AAPL will be looking closely (once again) at TSLA. I know this topic has been beat to death in the past, but I'm wondering - given Tesla's upward trajectory at the current time, is there any arrangement between the two companies that could be beneficial to TSLA and shareholders?
The only one I can think of is if Elon replaces Tim.

It doesn't just "end", it steps down I believe.

Had to google myself: "In the Netherlands there are no registration taxes for pure electric cars. Registration tax is based on the CO2 emissions of a vehicle. By way of comparison, a petrol-powered vehicle with CO2 emissions of 100g/km is subject to a registration tax of 2,355 Euros for this tax alone. In addition, electric and hybrid vehicles are exempt from vehicle tax until 2020. For company car drivers who also use the vehicles privately, only 4 percent of the sales value (maximum 50,000 Euros) of an electric car is regarded as part of the driver's income tax. The rate for conventional vehicles is 22 percent."

So technically, the vehicle tax exemption ends, while other benefits continue, so putting everything together it steps down, so you´re right. I am not sure how much the vehicle tax is compared to the registration tax exemption which remains, maybe someon from NL can chime in?

• Informative
Reactions: SpaceAggie
Informative article. But i didn't understand this:

I can understand switching off solar if the price went negative, but doesn't "low prices" indicate the electricity was worth something? Also, assuming the price went to zero and yet almost 50% of the electricity was still being produced by burning fossil fuels, doesn't that imply they were getting zero as well? Or perhaps they have contracts that require minimum payment for all production up to a specified amount 24/7? If so, it would seem more batteries would be economically advantageous.

I think the grid could be a lot greener with stronger time of use billing schedules. This would encourage water heaters with timers, EV charging during peak solar production and other adaptations which would reduce the baseload supplied by fossil fuels. But something tells me monied interests have their hands in the pie fouling up the way it should logically work.
It means they need more batteries to shut down the rest of the non renewable production. Every GWh of batteries is at least one peaker plant or coal facility that isn't needed.

NL sales only started taking off on 1 November. We are the first in line when a shipment arrives in Zeebrugge (which is geographically close). And now we even have ships going directly to Amsterdam. NO simply didn’t get any cars yet because they are at the end of the line, about a week later. That is, if there are any crumbs left after NL and UK finished eating. :p

Edit: concerning your question about the road tax exemption. That will stay intact. What will change on 1 January is that the BIK rate goes from 4 to 8 percent (for the amount up to 45,000 euro). But that is still a lot less than the 22 percent for conventional cars.

For the record, like most here, I oppose an acquisition. What could a partnership look like? Is Tesla really better off on their own, or is there a mutually beneficial arrangement for the two companies?
My point of view:
1. I'm an Apple fanboy
2. I used to hold $AAPL (until I sold it to feed my $TSLA addiction)
3. I've switched most of my household from linux-based products to Apple products
4. I see plenty of parallels between Apple and Tesla

I don't see how there is any mutually beneficial arrangement. While it is conceivable to me that Apple could benefit (primarily through app sales, apple music licensing) it is less clear how Tesla could.

What could Apple bring to the table? They have iOS and the user facing code could be ported to it. This would bring a better music experience, but Tesla's UI is a whole is fine. The porting cost would be greater than fixing the issues with music playback and interface.

And that would yield any appstore commerce to Apple. It would kill off the current gaming efforts.

What else could Apple bring? I got nothing.

Um... unlike the rest of silicon valley, Apple takes security seriously*. But Tesla isn't too bad in this regard. While they may not take it seriously they consider it to be important and they act on it. IMO the original remote unlock ability was an embarrassment and betrayed the "move fast/break things/make it ship" mentality that is so prevalent in tech. But they fixed it and have since not had any other embarrassments. In other words, to date Tesla has shown adequate security.

* to fully explain this would take some verbosity that is really off topic. If you don't agree, then security isn't something Apple could bring and leave it at that. I don't think they have anything meaningful to offer there so the positions don't differ materially. If you disagree that Apple could bring better security posture to Tesla then it is, at best, an incremental improvement as Tesla is already better than most tech companies.

edited to add: okay, @jerry33 is right, that would be a mutual benefit (unless Apple distracted too much from Tesla). There you have it, that's it