Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not all shorts are idiotic like Einhorn and those bashers on Twitter. Some short funds are doing their own research. They hire companies to take EVs apart to compare them. They talk to EV owners to find out what customers really think. They are also calculating what the margin would be when Model 3 and Y are produced in China.

Initially these guys got fooled by Spiegel, Chanos, Einhorn, etc. Now they found out demand is not drying up, people really love Tesla cars. Those Tesla killers they waited for only sell a tinny percentage compared with Model 3, even though those manufactures have been giving out large discounts and shouldering losses on EVs. They are also surprised how fast Tesla improves the cars.

Those guys are watching TMC closely. They know Tesla has a good chance to join S&P 500 index. Some short funds are quietly getting out. I heard this from some shorts. One guy talked about how they communicate through private messages. The ones that stay short are mad at those funds that are leaving.

Everything shorts predicted about Tesla turned out to be wrong. Shorts bought huge amount of out of money Puts expiring in the next few months, they fully expected TSLA to be bellow $100 by now, but it didn't happen. Now they have a hard time to do much to save their Puts. They realize Tesla will not suddenly bankrupt. So buying out of money Puts is not so attractive anymore. But shorting shares has risk of short squeeze.

Professionals understand Tesla is likely to go higher before Cybertruck unveil. So nobody is willing to short a lot to take the risk. Now their hope is macro quickly sink, so that might drag down Tesla. they also hope autopilot gets banned. They write to the regulators. After Truck unveil, we get very close to the end of Q4, they know it's going to be a strong quarter. There is not much incentives to short Tesla during a strong quarter, or right before it joins S&P. After joining S&P, they can't short immediately, because they could get killed by the large index funds which are obligated to keep buying. By the time index purchase settles down, strong Q3 and Q4 will come. During this whole time, they also have to worry about the release of FSD features. Essentially in the next whole year there is no good time to short TSLA. Trading maybe ok, short and stay short is not a smart move. Many funds now understand this reality.

Business is never a sure thing, I think it's smart to always stay cautious. Watch how many Q4 orders get pushed to next Q1, that's the most important leading indicator for next Q1's performance.

Mark Spigel having an absolute meltdown on Twitter, its such a treat to watch

From his Stanphyl Capital Sept 2019 Letter:
- For September 2019, the fund was down approximately 2.5%
- We remain short stock and call options in Tesla, Inc.

His fund was down 2.5% in Sept when TSLA shares ended the month at $240.87.
I don't believe he has published his October letter....with TSLA ending October at $314.92...I'm guessing his fund had huge losses.
Now November is at $337 - and the bleeding continues.

Next year's Battery show and tell will be interesting. I doubt Tesla will be talking Solid State................But, if Tesla did, no one will be laughing at ARK's $2000 a share valuation.

Gali is probably wrong here, at least in the timescale and definitely on the glass battery being being in the Roadster and Semi.

I think we will find that Tesla has multiple strands of battery sourcing, production, development and R&D.

If the glass battery is anywhere on the list it is in R&D, and well after Maxwell. The Dahn 2017 research is probably ahead of Maxwell and who knows how many strands there are, or when they will appear in production vehicles.

No need to Tesla to put all their eggs in one basket... but a good idea to keep tabs on all new interesting battery developments.

This also show why it is a good idea for Tesla to maintain relationships will all major battery suppliers, if there ever is a major break-though that Tesla doesn't own, most probably one of the major suppliers owns it.

Einhorn could visit the factory and still claim it's all a fraud because he didn't see a $5B pile of cash anywhere.

That's OK. He would claim it was a fraud if he *did* see a $5B pile of cash.

Maybe all the employees can be seen playing poker, throwing dice, etc. until Einhorn and Musk walk in and they quickly scramble to their stations and look busy.

Historically naïve. The plant was built for Silevo before it was acquired by Solar City...
Historically naive, that's rich. The plant was not built for Silevo. Construction did not start until three months after SolarCity bought Silevo in June 2014. The original Silevo design was very different, and much smaller with a 475 job target. SolarCity upsized the design, and the cost to taxpayers, sixfold.
The chain of takeovers has actually increased its value to the state.
SCTY's purchase of Silevo did not increase the factory's value, since there was no factory at the time. Tesla's purchase of SCTY did increase the value significantly, of course, since SCTY probably would have abandoned the plant in bankruptcy.
VW starts pre-production at all-electric vehicle factory in China - Electrek

'While pre-production is starting now, the actual official start of production is not expected until October 2020.'

Wait, what? We were told during the Model 3 ramp that the "real car makers" could just flip the switch and be at full production. No problem for the pros. Now we learn that VW is going to spend a year in pre-production? Something Tesla is spending about two months on at GF3? I don't understand. Has the media somehow misled us? There must be some mistake - I'm sure VW will be pumping out cars full throttle by the end of the year..
Carmakers go through a long development process. It's not uncommon to build a hundred or so engineering/integration cars a year or more before starting series production. These test cars are built with production tooling, but not on the full assembly line. They later build several hundred manufacturing validation cars on the full production line and test those cars for six months or so before series production.

You guys talking about engine displacement reminded me of an old rule of thumb that was etched in stone:

There's no replacement for displacement.

So, what's the displacement of a P100D? :confused:

Aaannnd - it's the weekend!

"There's no replacement for displacement"
Is what they used to swear by.
Those now rely on grandma's basement
To live...and EVer rue ICE thereby.

Btw., Tesla should probably contest that domain name, as it's smearing Tesla and is an abuse of their trademark.

I, for one, hope that it stays up. Then there will be a citable statistic showing Tesla deaths (driver + passenger) dropping per vehicle miles. I'm pretty sure that conclusion can already be drawn now!

As long as they don't pull a Keefe and fabricate their own data, it should all play out fine.

You guys talking about engine displacement reminded me of an old rule of thumb that was etched in stone:

There's no replacement for displacement.

So, what's the displacement of a P100D? :confused:

Well now, actually there is:

“The only replacement for cubic inches is cubic dollars.”

Which of course referred to the money Porsche was putting into Turbocharging technology at the time.

Edit: I just realized the irony in this with the Taycan “Turbo” and the money they’ve spent, but the victories are not coming the way they used to...

From his Stanphyl Capital Sept 2019 Letter:
- For September 2019, the fund was down approximately 2.5%
- We remain short stock and call options in Tesla, Inc.

His fund was down 2.5% in Sept when TSLA shares ended the month at $240.87.
I don't believe he has published his October letter....with TSLA ending October at $314.92...I'm guessing his fund had huge losses.
Now November is at $337 - and the bleeding continues.

And he had no chance to even trim his short call position. His parents are going to be so pissed

I, for one, hope that it stays up. Then there will be a citable statistic showing Tesla deaths (driver + passenger) dropping per vehicle miles. I'm pretty sure that conclusion can already be drawn now!

As long as they don't pull a Keefe and fabricate their own data, it should all play out fine.
The only problem with that is the old axiom "Garbage in, gospel out"...