Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys, this is my first post. I have only been reading this forum. But since I live in Berlin and work as a policy advisor for transport in the Berlin state parliament I thought I could share some information.
The GF4 seems to be build in this location: Google Maps (Grünheide). At least that's what this local newspaper is reporting: In Grünheide im Landkreis Oder-Spree: Elon Musk will Tesla-Werk in Brandenburg bauen - Brandenburg - Startseite

That's what I call great 1st post. Welcome and thank you.

The area around Berlin is an unexpected choice.

What I like right off the bat are the giant wind turbines you can find to the South [and maybe elsewhere, but those are the ones I've seen]. But that's a personal gut reaction.

The State of Brandenburg that surrounds but does not include Berlin is governed by a decidedly left-of-center coalition government. I do know that Rolls Royce builds big jet engines just outside the city. There's an industrial park adjacent to the putative new airport: Business Park Berlin

The VW factory that is ramping up to build the ID lies in East Germany too, but Zwickau is located far away in the direction of Bavaria.

Not sure there's a great track record of the State government working together with business to fast-track investment. However, the problems of Berlin's new city airport are definitely to be found on the side of gross mismanagement by the city [that attempted to coordinate construction instead of delegating to specialized companies] - this would hopefully not be a problem for Tesla.

One Horst Lüning is going to go bonkers. I am intrigued and am sure this will help sell a lot of Teslas in Germany. Thought the coastal plains neighboring the Netherlands or Czechia were the prime candidates.

Last edited:

What I like right off the bat are the giant wind turbines you can find to the South [and maybe elsewhere, but those are the ones I've seen]. But that's a personal gut reaction.

The State of Brandenburg that surrounds but does not include Berlin is governed by a decidedly left-of-center coalition government. I do know that Rolls Royce builds big jet engines just outside the city. There's an industrial park adjacent to the putative new airport:

Business Park Berlin

The VW factory that is ramping up to build the ID lies in East Germany too, but Zwickau is located far away in the direction of Bavaria.

Not sure there's a great track record of the State government working together with business to fast-track investment. However, the problems of Berlin's new city airport are definitely to be found on the side of gross mismanagement by the city - this would hopefully not be a problem for Tesla.

One Horst Lüning is going to go bonkers. I am intrigued and am sure this will help sell a lot of Teslas in Germany. Thought the coastal plains neighboring the Netherlands or Czechia were the prime candidates.
Little correction: Brandenburg has just elected a new parliament and a new government of social democrats, conservatives and the green party is just forming.

Nearly 99% of Model 3 Owners Recommend Tesla to New Customers, says Bloomberg Study St

“Anytime somebody gets behind the wheel, it’s very well received. We have one friend that actually bought one within a week after she drove ours,” said one Model 3 owner.

“It’s rare to see the head of a company put so much of themselves into their company. I have no clue what the head of Ford looks like. And I only know Nissan because he went to jail,” said Deanna Sherry, a 41-year-old library assistant and Model 3 owner in Clarksville, Tennessee, during an interview with Bloomberg researchers.

Little correction: Brandenburg has just elected a new parliament and a new government of social democrats, conservatives and the green party is just forming.

The "Ministry for Economic Affairs and Energy of the State of Brandenburg" is held by the SPD (social democrats) - and Elon signed the GF4 agreement with the minister yesterday:

There was a 30 locations initial list, which was narrowed to a 10 locations "short list" - this Brandenburg location (an industrial park near Grünheide) was picked from the short list.

So the GF4 project has highest level political support within Brandenburg. Since in Brandenburg there's a big coalition of SPD, CDU and the Greens, Tesla has support from all the mainstream political parties, liberal and conservative.

Last edited:
In May 2017 at a TED Talk, Elon Musk stated his intention to announce three or four new Gigafactory sites. These factories will manufacture both batteries and complete cars to enable "global production" of their products.
The future we're building -- and boring

“CA: One of your core ideas, Elon, about what makes an exciting future is a future where we no longer feel guilty about energy. Help us picture this. How many Gigafactories, if you like, does it take to get us there?

EM: It's about a hundred, roughly. It's not 10, it's not a thousand. Most likely a hundred.

CA: See, I find this amazing. You can picture what it would take to move the world off this vast fossil fuel thing. It's like you're building one, it costs five billion dollars, or whatever, five to 10 billion dollars. Like, it's kind of cool that you can picture that project. And you're planning to do, at Tesla -- announce another two this year.

EM: I think we'll announce locations for somewhere between two and four Gigafactories later this year. Yeah, probably four.”

What is the count since then? 2? 3? Two years has passed and he clearly had plans for these 2-3 now announced. The fourth, is that the Pickup he will announce next week might have been in the plans since then, just delayed for Model 3 ramp.Berlin and Shanghai are both pretty international cities, the capital and the financial capital. Nova for Pickup? Or Chicago?

OT, but a public service announcement:
Please consider not sharing Apple News links. If the article is on CNBC's site, consider sharing CNBC's actual URL. Sharing Apple News links only encourages Apple to be more of a middleman where no middleman is needed. The web was invented for people to be able to click link from their browser right to the page where the document/article of interest is. After all, the shortest distance between any point A and point B is a straight line, which is what the web gave us. Now, we have greedy trillion-dollar aggregators like Google and Facebook and Apple trying to claim that the they've earned the right to be some point C between A and B, and you must pass through C to get from A to B, and you know what, that's just bad geometry. It's just bad for everyone. So, please consider taking an extra moment to clean up the URL you plan to share, make sure it's the URL for the actual news site where the article resides. Thank you. This concludes this Public Service Announcement. And now back to regular thrashing...

Hi guys, this is my first post. I have only been reading this forum. But since I live in Berlin and work as a policy advisor for transport in the Berlin state parliament I thought I could share some information.
The GF4 seems to be build in this location: Google Maps (Grünheide). At least that's what this local newspaper is reporting: In Grünheide im Landkreis Oder-Spree: Elon Musk will Tesla-Werk in Brandenburg bauen - Brandenburg - Startseite

Looks like a muddy field to me. It'll never be built.

/s

J/k. Thanks for the helpful first post, and welcome to TMC.

Thank you, that promises to be a great exercise in give and take by the established parties [to which the Greens belong].
Evidently, the AFD will rejoice at being smack dab in Tesla's crosshairs [evil grin].

• Love
Reactions: madodel
I'm not sure Texas would work. They would have to physically ship them out of Texas to sell them in Texas! :rolleyes:

Just like Nevada, Texas would have to formally legalize Tesla stores before GF5 awarded to Texas.

It’s just a bit of ink on paper for that.

TF1 do have a nice rang to it tho, I tell you what!

Berlin is smack in the middle of former East Germany.

And unlike Sparks it has a big work force, so finding employees should not be a problem. Berlin has 3,75 million inhabitants, which is comparable to LA. The unemployment rate in former East Germany is 7%, versus 4% in the western part of the country. Wages are about 85% of what they are in the western part.

Was there recently, a beautiful place and very multicultural, a world city. The joke about the new airport opening was funny, suggest one google Berlin new airport to get the back story. There is a metro runs by the area and stops at the soon to open airport (LOL, its a running joke in Berlin, when will the new airport open?) So the workers should be able to take the train to work.

The only thing negative about Berlin is the graffiti that mars such a beautiful city, but I have been told its a continent wide issue. And I will miss TXL airport, old, cramp, but cozy. TXL airport is a holdover from the cold war days, progress, like this new Tesla factory moves on.

Last edited:

The State of Brandenburg that surrounds but does not include Berlin is governed by a decidedly left-of-center coalition government. I do know that Rolls Royce builds big jet engines just outside the city. There's an industrial park adjacent to the putative new airport: Business Park Berlin

Not sure there's a great track record of the State government working together with business to fast-track investment. However, the problems of Berlin's new city airport are definitely to be found on the side of gross mismanagement by the city [that attempted to coordinate construction instead of delegating to specialized companies] - this would hopefully not be a problem for Tesla.

There are some wind turbines to the west of the city too. One flies over them coming into TXL.

Reactions: Sean Wagner
The "Ministry for Economic Affairs and Energy of the State of Brandenburg" is held by the SPD (social democrats) - and Elon signed the GF4 agreement with the minister yesterday:

In Grünheide im Landkreis Oder-Spree: Elon Musk will Tesla-Werk in Brandenburg bauen - Brandenburg - PNN

That sounds great - there's top level support for renewables [and hence EVs], and the SPD minister who prepared the deal during the previous administration is staying on to shepherd it through [meaning the SPD is all in too].

Quote .. / Die neue Kenia-Koalition will, wie Woidke bei der Vorstellung des Koalitionsvertrages angekündigt hatte, Brandenburg zum Vorreiter für die Energiewende in Deutschland machen. / ... Unquote ["Kenia" denoting the joint colors of the coalition members: green, red, black]

Excellent!

So, please consider taking an extra moment to clean up the URL you plan to share, make sure it's the URL for the actual news site where the article resides. Thank you.
Unless it's clearly FUD aimed at reducing Tesla's stock price, then shove it on archive.is or archive.org and link to that, so the FUD-mongers don't get the click and the ad revenue. (Not everyone ad blocks, so they are likely to get ad revenue.)

Now, now, Elon, behave. No rolling of the eyes when the VW exec talks about EVs.

eloneyeroll.jpg

I was surprised by the speed of the Supercharger network in Europe, but the Ionity network is also expanding fast, maybe even faster than the Supercharger network in it’s first few European years: IONITY - WHERE & HOW

The Germans may be behind Tesla, but they’re certainly ahead of the other car manufacturers in Europe.

This reminds me of what Teslabjørn said in his video after doing 1000km challenges with both the e-Tron and a Raven Model X. Since Ionity chargers are much faster than superchargers the very thirsty Audi can keep pace with Tesla on long trips and even go a little bit faster at times.

Please skip ahead to 37:45 and listen to Bjørn:

Tesla really need to get those v3 superchargers out there!

And if you have the time - listen to the whole video - I love to in my recliner with a nice something to drink. :)