Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
BTW, I don't know why everyone assumes revolutionary changes in one aspect (robotaxi) but other things like going to work to remain the same. I expect more and more companies shift to working from home. It saves them a lot of money. People are generally happier working from home - and work longer hours because of no commute.
Depends on the company. The F500 company I worked for has mostly dumped WFH. The main reason is that the managers and executives think WFH equals goofing off--even though countless studies have shown the opposite.

Robotaxi won't be that cheap. If the ride is 10 miles away - that would imply 10 cents/mile. Currently Uber/Lyft charge about $2/mile. Ark expect robotaxi would be little less than $1 (70 cents).

So, would you have a car and pay (a somewhat fixed) $20 a day or $15 for roundtrip to work plus extra for other rides?

BTW, I don't know why everyone assumes revolutionary changes in one aspect (robotaxi) but other things like going to work to remain the same. I expect more and more companies shift to working from home. It saves them a lot of money. People are generally happier working from home - and work longer hours because of no commute. This has already happened for a lot of tele-sales people, for eg. Most people in my office already WFH multiple days a week. If you don't need a car to go to office then the attraction of robotaxi (or uber/lyft) becomes that much more. Already a lot of younger folks who work in cities downtowns (so no way to take car to work) don't own cars. We will see this trend up.
I want to say I agree with this but these changes have been very slow to come from what I can tell. The people in charge are still of age that they didn't grow up with the internet. Far too many executives and managers still run their companies by "butts in seats". They think people aren't working if they can't see them, and it's a far easier/lazy way to manage.

I have seen the same thing in business travel. I started consulting in 2005 and I was sure that thanks to the internet travel would decrease. 14 years later and every project is still the same thing. Client managers expect weekly travel and will openly say they don't believe they are getting their money's worth unless the consultants are there every day. In the next breath they will complain about travel costs. (ignoring the quality of life problems this entails and the HUGE environmental damage)

I think we need a mass die off or retiring of that generation (sorry, but it's mostly boomers) before we see a big change in this area.

• Informative
Reactions: hoang51
OK. I don't speak Chinese, but I do speak google (translate). The new site found is : 工信部发布第325批《道路机动车辆生产企业及产品公告》 特斯拉(上海)有限公司获准入-新闻-上海证券报·中国证券网

Which has a link to the .doc file from the Ministry of Industry and Information Technology ( PDF below) The item of interest is on page 15, item 105.

Tesla-pg15-105.png

Google Translate:
Agree to set up a pure electric passenger vehicle manufacturer in the "Announcement", the company name: Tesla (Shanghai) Co., Ltd., enterprise registered address: D203A, No. 168, Tonghui Road, Nanhui New Town, Pudong New Area, Shanghai, China No. 5000, Jiangshan Road, Pudong New Area.

Attachments

• 20191113162628685.pdf
    2.9 MB · Views: 217
Bloomberg - Are you a robot?
elon-musk-s-german-factory-started-with-love-letter-from-berlin
This article contains a major piece of new news. Tesla was promised by Brandenburg officials that they would make sure the factory was built in the same time frame as was China. That would be unheard of in Germany.

Model 3 is up for Motor Trend Car of the Year, although the hardware is nearly the same as the earlier model that lost to Alfa Romeo. This is great news with a caveat. My largest gripe is that Tesla’s best in the world Advanced Driver’s Assist functionality was listed under Cons because it didn’t work as well as expected in non-highway situations. Really? The best such functionality in the world is listed under the cons ?

Why the Updated 2019 Tesla Model 3 is a 2020 Car of the Year Finalist - Motor Trend

You're nuts if you don't think the new Corvette isn't winning this. Of course the fix is in!

I started consulting in 2005 and I was sure that thanks to the internet travel would decrease. 14 years later and every project is still the same thing. Client managers expect weekly travel and will openly say they don't believe they are getting their money's worth unless the consultants are there every day.

I’m right there with you. Two weeks a month on travel. The worst part is having to rent an ICE-age vehicle at the destination. Even relatively "nice" rentals just feels like a crap ride after a year of Model 3 transport.

I think they will have to go faster than that or there won't be a perceptible difference from Waymo. How fast depends on how many Tesla owners join the network.
Of course there will be a perceptible difference. Tesla will be adding 250k robo-taxi capable units per quarter at a much cheaper cost per mile, Waymo would not even be competing in the same arena. It’s like a pro sports team competing against a high school team.

Reactions: jerry33
Sharing Apple News links only encourages Apple to be more of a middleman where no middleman is needed.

True middlemen do suck.

But I'd rather support Apple News trying to aggregating and organize useful content, rather than CNBC which is about half click bait factory.

In the end, Apple News does provide value so no reason to stifle it or ignore it. The news organizations should have gotten together and created their own News app. It is obvious that it is a thing that is better than just typing in various news sites into browser address bar.

It is obvious innovation, and I'm always on that side.

I’m right there with you. Two weeks a month on travel. The worst part is having to rent an ICE-age vehicle at the destination. Even relatively "nice" rentals just feels like a crap ride after a year of Model 3 transport.
And that's still pretty good in the scheme of things. I'm lucky that I found a local gig and I've been riding it for like 5 years now but my buddies that still work for an SI still do M-Thursday or even M-Friday every week.

Reactions: VValleyEV
Regarding the impact of German production in Europe...

In Eastern Europe "German quality" is still a huge draw. The general wisdom is German cars are reliable and Italian and French cars are junk. (I had a Fiat and a Renault that say otherwise, but that's beside the point).

The one consistent critique on Tesla in local car forums and comments below our articles as well is the build quality. Even people who never saw a Tesla in person are convinced it is held together by duct tape. (It does not help that American cars in general are regarded as having low build quality).

So Teslas being produced in Germany is kind of a silver bullet in the region.

Also, no 10% EU customs, lover shipping costs, local spare parts production... Where do I sign up?
Just how much does it cost to ship a lover and can they do it confidentially? LOL!

Dan

Last edited: