Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, if a taxi comes to pick you up, do you really care if it's made in Germany with their featured design or it's some econobox? I think I wouldn't care much. Yeah, it's nice if it's roomy and slick, but if not, then not a huge problem, this is not my car.

So, the future will be more about software and less about outer shape of the car.

What will not matter in a robo-taxi is performance. I would imagine there would be a spectrum from cheapest (Model 3 backseat) to more luxurious. Imagine first class luxury full reclining, eating tray, large screen for movies, superior sound system or alternatively office workspace (for that 99.9% of the population who are harder working than myself).

So first of all, if your ride to work costs you $1 in a taxi, but $20 in a privately owned car, how many people will keep the cars? Not many.
Only if it's absolutely reliable. Means that every time the taxi gets there on time. Generally people don't want to get written up for being late. it also depends on how much extra is charged for waiting while you're at the grocery store or other stops along the way. (This is replacing your car, so you won't have any other transportation). Other than urban centres, most stores are not within walking distance, and even if they are, sometimes it's just too cold, rainy, snowy, icy to walk there. Now, yes, you can have groceries delivered which works fine for canned and bag goods (other than the dented cans--typically 25-50%), but I'd hate to have fruits and vegetables picked out by a store clerk.

As far as I am concerned, with my core position still a bit in the red from Sept 2018(was green in the morning) we are back to a single factory valuation from 2018.
This means none of these are priced in:
- GF3
- Y
- Plaid S/X
- Solar roof
From a more remote future,
- Semi, R2, truck, GF4

Maybe for normal companies future events account for something, but it seems so far we have only seen a reflection of Q3 2019 results in the SP.

There was likely a bit of a loss of trust/disappointment over the last year, which is why all the talking and future news are ignored and valued at 0. I'm all in for this reality to change, so maybe that's what we'll see in a near future. It's just not happening so far.

I do think a lot money is sitting on the sidelines right now in anticipation of Q1 being difficult and therefore is not giving Tesla stock price any credit for Giga 3 ramp, early Model Y, etc... I think it will bite them in the butt big time.

I for one am becoming more and more optimistic about Q1. The Q4 earnings could cause an even larger percentage gain than Q3 earnings because Tesla could give guidance for Q1 that smashes all of the worries. Tesla doesn't need to necessarily improve on Q4 earnings for Q1, they just need to maintain. The year over year comparisons from 2019 to 2020 for Q1 will be insane if they do maintain Q4 levels of sales/revenue/margins/etc..

Tesla obtains manufacturing license for Gigafactory 3 — production is imminent - Electrek

How is this not being reported by anyone other than Electrek? This is a big deal and is the last step needed for soon-to-come massive additional revenue and profits. My entire Apple stock feed on TSLA doesn't mention this once.

Why this should this be news? A frigging manufacturing license is just normal paperwork that you would never hear about for a new manufacturing facility of any brand.

Here it becomes an "event' because it was a totally made up potential issue from the TSLAQ retards.

Tesla obtains manufacturing license for Gigafactory 3 — production is imminent - Electrek

How is this not being reported by anyone other than Electrek? This is a big deal and is the last step needed for soon-to-come massive additional revenue and profits. My entire Apple stock feed on TSLA doesn't mention this once.

And from that Electrek article: “It’s not entirely clear, but it sounds like it was the last hurdle to officially start production and sales of the made-in-China Model 3.”

Let me just add - why would Electrek run such a headline - “production imminent” - if they don’t even know what this means?

So I would classify this as “almost news”. I’ll believe an official announcement when that comes.

Last edited:
Only if it's absolutely reliable. Means that every time the taxi gets there on time. Generally people don't want to get written up for being late. it also depends on how much extra is charged for waiting while you're at the grocery store or other stops along the way. (This is replacing your car, so you won't have any other transportation). Other than urban centres, most stores are not within walking distance, and even if they are, sometimes it's just too cold, rainy, snowy, icy to walk there. Now, yes, you can have groceries delivered which works fine for canned and bag goods (other than the dented cans--typically 25-50%), but I'd hate to have fruits and vegetables picked out by a store clerk.

This is why it seems like Tesla should only enter one market at a time. Initially there should be such demand that waiting time might become too inconvenient (> 5 min.?). So Tesla should just enter Silicon Valley with enough vehicles to ensure this quality and then add one city at a time as vehicle quantities allow.

Why this should this be news? A frigging manufacturing license is just normal paperwork that you would never hear about for a new manufacturing facility of any brand.

Here it becomes an "event' because it was a totally made up potential issue from the TSLAQ retards.

weird. the electrek link to the website of the Ministry of Industry and Information Technology is not working, and I checked from here 行政许可结果公开系统 (believe me I can read Chinsese :) ) and didn't find the license... did I miss something?

• Informative
Reactions: JusRelax
wait...as a German you are saying you expect regulations and legal complication to hinder fast construction....oh dont tell that to other members here.

I think Berlin is a great choice for Tesla and I hope Berlin and Brandenburg make every effort to help Tesla get going. Something a bit snappier than the airport.

And to make the assumption that because things have been one way, that they’ll continue that way, is a huge mistake.

Case in point, all the people who waved their arms and jumped up and down and proclaimed Tesla will NEVER have a factory in China without a Chinese Partner. How’d that work out?

So, yeah. Just sit back and watch how this goes. Production currently announced for 2021. That’s anywhere from 13-25 months. I’m betting closer to 13 than 25. And you’d better hope I’m right because time is of the essence for all of us.

The workers' councils are empowered by law. There's no room for Elon to decide he's not going to follow German rules. He must play the game as it's played in Germany.

Uh, huh. Like Tesla had to play by NADA rules and sell their cars through dealerships. And how Tesla was going to need a Chinese partner.

I always feel a bit of sympathy for people who think the status quo has to stay the status quo. Because only someone who’s felt bound by the rules their whole life and the sides of the box actually think and believe this.

This is why it seems like Tesla should only enter one market at a time. Initially there should be such demand that waiting time might become too inconvenient (> 5 min.?). So Tesla should just enter Silicon Valley with enough vehicles to ensure this quality and then add one city at a time as vehicle quantities allow.
If we are talking about private owned cars then this won't work. I wouldn't want to wait a year before deploying my car. Uber didn't worry about that and it didn't slow adoption. Getting rid of private cars is a long term thing, I just want to make some cash and save some gas miles.

Reactions: jerry33
I think they will have to go faster than that or there won't be a perceptible difference from Waymo. How fast depends on how many Tesla owners join the network.

So first of all, if your ride to work costs you $1 in a taxi, but $20 in a privately owned car, how many people will keep the cars? Not many.
Robotaxi won't be that cheap. If the ride is 10 miles away - that would imply 10 cents/mile. Currently Uber/Lyft charge about $2/mile. Ark expect robotaxi would be little less than $1 (70 cents).

So, would you have a car and pay (a somewhat fixed) $20 a day or $15 for roundtrip to work plus extra for other rides?

BTW, I don't know why everyone assumes revolutionary changes in one aspect (robotaxi) but other things like going to work to remain the same. I expect more and more companies shift to working from home. It saves them a lot of money. People are generally happier working from home - and work longer hours because of no commute. This has already happened for a lot of tele-sales people, for eg. Most people in my office already WFH multiple days a week. If you don't need a car to go to office then the attraction of robotaxi (or uber/lyft) becomes that much more. Already a lot of younger folks who work in cities downtowns (so no way to take car to work) don't own cars. We will see this trend up.

Renting taxis becomes difficult once you have kids. Nobody wants to deal with installing/removing car seats for each ride.