Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those of you into technical trading, does anybody else see a cup and handle pattern forming since Oct 25? Today’s downtrend is the beginning of the handle... If things continue to trickle down into the the truck reveal, it’s possible we may see a continuation of the upward trend. Thoughts?

not advice!

No, a handle is always lower than the right top of the cup and cups must be at least six weeks long. We actually did break out of a cup with handle on Nov 11. The cup was almost a year long and the handle was 9 days. The right top of the cup was 340.94 marked on Oct. 28. Clearing that price on the 11th marked the breakout. Investor's Business Daily noted today:

Last week's featured breakout stock, Tesla, is still in a potential buy zone. On Nov. 11, Tesla stock broke out above a 340.94 buy point in a cup with handle. The 5% buy zone tops out at 357.99.

More on cup with handles: https://www.investors.com/how-to-in...sics-how-to-analyze-a-stocks-cup-with-handle/

Screenshot 2019-11-18 at 3.36.45 PM.png

Phil LeBeau described the Ford Mustang Mach-E as a Tesla competitor, before Tim Seymour spent much time trying to explain his Tesla short position. :rolleyes:

CNBC Fast Money - video half hour ago: The electric car wars are gaining speed as Ford unveils New Mustang MU
I think it’s sad to see someone like Tim who feels comfortable being short on Tesla at $315 continue to buy into the short thesis. He should have closed his position months ago, but the sad part is people listen to him on a daily basis.

Does anyone know what this new taller building going up on the north end of the Fremont factory is? It was on the picture in Teslarati today about word of mouth marketing. I checked the satellite pictures and it seems to be recent, not there in August, maybe starting end of September. About the only thing I can think of is Jerome saying the production team is going to be excited. Could it be a new battery production facility? The press that builds the whole car frame? A giant parts inventory warehouse? It appears to be about 15 stories tall, if it were a commercial building.
I zoomed in to 4x, but i have no idea. Sorry if this has come up already, but I have seen nothing posted on this new building.
View attachment 478417 View attachment 478415
That may be apartments/condos. Shea homes had a permit for a sales office in the Fremont factory.

Accela Citizen Access

Edit- NVM, just saw the earlier posts.

My take on the Mach-E is we have seen competitor EVs appear to promise so much when the specs were first published, only for the final product to disappoint or ship in low volumes.... I'm keeping an open mind, but promising is easy, delivery is harder.
Overall other car makers are slowly getting more experience building EVs and momentum is gradually building.

I think Tesla is reasonably confident that they can innovate faster than the competition, it will be good to have some competition.

I fully agree that engineering, design and process improvements are they key to lowering production costs and improving the products at the same time. EVs are still fairly new, and it seems that there is considerable potential to further improve the products.

At this stage, I think most car makers can make an EV that is better than an ICE, but none can make a car that is better than a Tesla, they will improve, but Tesla will probably improve faster...

Germany, China and the US, are close to the 3 ideal countries to do engineering and design work. Tesla will need to leverage the unique talent available in each location

It think we will soon see most car makers drop or scale back ICE R&D, with a corresponding ramp up of EV R&D

I don't have an answer but I haven't seen a post that points out the unavailability of a 3rd row seat for children in the Mach E. Previously some have said this availability in the Y is an important factor for some buyers.
Also sometimes First On Race Day, so you really never know what you're going to get.
Didn't happen for Harvick this Sunday!

But I know what you mean... even Richard Petty drove one for awhile...

Cheaper labor is always an advantage.

Mach E will start at $43.9k or $45k including destination fee.

Over half of Americans don't give a rats ass about where their car is made and many Midwesterners and Southerners consider California an alien land and not their kinsmen.

There is a significant percentage of Tesla owners that have never supercharged and for many the CCS Network will be good enough.

Some people simply trust Ford more than Tesla. And have much higher degree of confidence that Ford will be around in 10 years. Plus, you can get the MachE serviced or repaired at any of 2100 Mace E certified Ford dealers vs 100 or so Tesla service centers and their mobile techs.

In the ICE age the best most reliable car did not have 100% market share. At most OEMs had 10% market share globally. BEV age will be similar if not necessarily identical.

i’ll always consider you my kinsman

OT but speaking of I-95 car fires:

[cue eerie music]
Years ago, prolly around 1984, when I worked in Maryland, I saw not one, not two, but a whole motorcade of multiple burnt-out vehicles -- stretch limos and what looked like the remains of police interceptor cars in front and behind, along the side of I-95. First thing I thought was, geez, presidential motorcade taken out?

The fire had long been burned out. The blackened shells of the vehicles were just sitting there in a line, along the left shoulder of southbound I-95 (just south of the Hwy 32 exit for the National Security Agency, I might add) between Baltimore and DC.

I looked in the newspapers, I tuned into radio/TV stations for news, nothing. Never to this day learned what that was.

Before I read your vehicle descriptions, my first thought was Ford Pinto caravan mishap.

• Funny
Reactions: AZRI11
OT but speaking of I-95 car fires:

[cue eerie music]
Years ago, prolly around 1984, when I worked in Maryland, I saw not one, not two, but a whole motorcade of multiple burnt-out vehicles -- stretch limos and what looked like the remains of police interceptor cars in front and behind, along the side of I-95. First thing I thought was, geez, presidential motorcade taken out?

The fire had long been burned out. The blackened shells of the vehicles were just sitting there in a line, along the left shoulder of southbound I-95 (just south of the Hwy 32 exit for the National Security Agency, I might add) between Baltimore and DC.

I looked in the newspapers, I tuned into radio/TV stations for news, nothing. Never to this day learned what that was.

false flag operation

I want to correct some misguided conventional wisdom (although i'm probably preaching to the choir on this for the most part).

It's important to realize that each car company that begins selling an EV that they actually care about and want to do well -- this doesn't steal sales from Tesla, it does the opposite. It brings more customers to the brand.

Ford is now one more huge industry player that's going to stop perpetuating electric car FUD re: range anxiety, cost, reliability, etc, etc, etc, and instead join the growing chorus talking about EVs as the inevitable future. From this point on, they'll be footing the bill for a lot of Tesla marketing. Every article and review about the Mach E is going to mention Tesla as the incumbent that Ford is trying to unseat. Every buyer interested in the Mach E is going to (perhaps for the first time) actually look into a Tesla, at the very least to compare specs. Best case scenario, maybe even test drive one as a point of reference (and i think most of us know it's game over once you're behind the wheel).

To huge swaths of America, the vast majority in fact, Tesla is a weird upstart to be kept at arms length, unlikely to survive long term, and well outside of their car-buying comfort zone. Suddenly having the major manufacturers acknowledge them as the incumbent that they are chasing will do wonders for totally average, non-techy, non-greeny, non-car-focused people deciding a Tesla might not be such an abnormal choice after all.

I still don't understand why people wouldn't think of Tesla first. Like when in the real world will someone stumbled into a dealership, saw this electric car for the first time ever and be like "electric cars?..is it like a prius? Oh it's fully electric?..Electric cars exist now? I'll think about it".

No if you are that uninformed then you are not liberal enough to change powertrains. These are the type of people who stick to what they know and are even afraid to change the channel on their black and white TV.

I know many still have no idea what a Tesla is TODAY. Those people are late adopters..like how your grandfather just purchased his first smart phone yesterday because the last flip phone ever made was sold the day before kind of late adopters.

Phil LeBeau described the Ford Mustang Mach-E as a Tesla competitor, before Tim Seymour spent much time trying to explain his Tesla short position. :rolleyes:

CNBC Fast Money - video half hour ago: The electric car wars are gaining speed as Ford unveils New Mustang MU

he tripped all over himself and misspoke a few times (although it was a long presentation and i’d have misspoken too).

but bottom line he put on a tutorial how to short tesla (and lose)

how cnbc gets away with is is beyond me. trash