Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't know where you get that impression. Tesla supplied the system. The system consists of batteries, inverters, controllers, wiring, and I believe even the construction of the concrete base. Batteries are large things full of cells. The fact that Tesla bought the cells from Samsung doesn't mean that Tesla was only a middleman.

Because services (contract work) is not selling goods -- which is what people expect when they talk about selling. Especially when they couch it in "selling vs leasing". It becomes a false dichotomy because it denies other choices or implies it is either/or. In this case, the situation is more complex. Hence, a false dichotomy.

NL9iDRX.gif

Why doesn't Tesla go after one of these FUDsters with a defamation lawsuit? Make an example of one of these lying "analysts" (not the word I wanted to use). Their FUD is now so provably wrong and has clearly done harm to the valuation of the company.
I think of much more value would be a wide-ranging suit against media (CNBC, Bloomberg, Reuters), brokerages (GS), short sellers and their accomplices on racketeering (RICO), tortious interference and fraud charges (to name a few). I believe Tesla could win this battle, but will take the high road and focus on the business and what they have to do to complete their mission.

Reactions: Lessmog and UncaNed
I think of much more value would be a wide-ranging suit against media (CNBC, Bloomberg, Reuters), brokerages (GS), short sellers and their accomplices on racketeering (RICO), tortious interference and fraud charges (to name a few). I believe Tesla could win this battle, but will take the high road and focus on the business and what they have to do to complete their mission.

The best value comes from delivering on expectations, delighting customers, and continuing to expand the vehicle range and production volume.

The noise will diminish on its own as that happens.

This is how I read it, though admittedly I only took the quickest of looks. I considered picking up my Model 3 at Fremont, getting a tour, and then road-tripping back to Colorado. That's a scenario that's currently prohibitively expensive in CO and many other states, as CA does not currently waive sales tax when the car is purchased to be registered in another state. I would have had to pay the ~9%ish (IIRC) combined sales tax rate in Fremont, then the ~5%ish rate back home. In short, something like a $4k hit after trade-in vs picking up here in CO.

Concur. There's really no good reason for CA to do things this way. If Tesla buyers could pick up their cars at Fremont and not get hit with this multi-thousand dollar duplicate tax bill, I think some significant # would do it. Then Tesla would have lower expenses for those sales (no transport costs), the buyers would get a cool tour, and California would reap significant tourism/tax benefits from those folks lodging in CA, eating in CA, perhaps sightseeing rather than turning around and going straight home.

Currently, they receive virtually $0 from this scenario, as very few people are willing to take that tax hit.
If they eliminated this stupid tax Tesla could pay for flights to California, provide plant tours and drive a ton of tourism. Win win win!

Antonio Wooman from Alphonia? Is it you, Anton? :rolleyes:
I think Antonio is a parade account, but it got me thinking of a correction:
2022 Q1 26B
2022 Q2 28B
2022 Q3 31B
Getting there with consistent growth:
2019 32-35B
2020 45-50B
2021 75-80B

Assumes Midel Y ramp is not extremely fast and pickup and semi are not kicking in big numbers until 2022. Tesla Energy growth should continue at 100-200% and maybe even faster. The Hornsdale math needs to be replicated here in the USA on a bigger scale. Amazon, which has been using storage to reduce commercial energy costs is way ahead of the pack. TE numbers start mattering in 2020 and will get attn from analysts after revenue passes 10B. Gene Munster and Kathy Wood are going to look like geniuses vs rest of investment community for looking at the fundamentals.

The way you put it makes it seem like a false dichotomy to me. For example, the one in Australia uses Samsung batteries. IIRC, Tesla was contracted to build it. So they neither sold nor leased it, they made money through contracting.

You do realize that doesn't make any batteries themselves right? Even if they used cells produced in GF1 they are buying them from Panasonic.

Why not take that to the next level, they don't make their own aluminum so they don't actually sell Model Ss, they are just a contractor. :rolleyes:

I haven't seen it mentioned here so I thought I would add it for people that care:

Charging connector page, translated for us German challenged people:

CCS adapter

CCS adapter Part of the standard scope of supply? Max charge rate or charged range in an hour *.
Yes, for model S & model X *. Up to 120 kW or 400-500 km
The model 3 is equipped with a CCS connection so no adapter is required
Note: The charging power is limited by the car, not the adapter.
CCS is the most common charge standard for the European quick charging of electric vehicles. Throughout Europe operate public, fee charging networks with this standard.
These CCS charging stations are equipped with a fixed cable that can be plugged directly into the model 3. Model S and model X need an adapter to connect to a CCS charging station. For more information about downloading CCS in the Supercharger FAQ.

S&X cars delivered on/after February 1, 2019 will come with the adapter, at least in Germany.

From the FAQ:

I can recharge the model S and model X to other network providers charging stations?
We will soon receive a "CCS combo 2" adapter as an option offer. As owner of model S or model X, you can with this "CCS combo 2" adapter to recharge your vehicle to other network providers charging stations. The retail price of our "CCS combo 2" adaptor will approximately match the price of CHAdeMO adapter.

So it sounds like the S&X are limited to 120kW because of the car, at least at this time, and the adapter might support a higher charging rate in future cars.
Now if they would just make a NA version of the adapter.

And if you want Fred's take: Tesla makes CCS adapter standard on all new Model S and X in Europe

Last edited:
OT

Rear legroom is not just to fit people in, it’s to fit them comfortably even when they lay back and cross their legs.
Ok I’m a little over the board there, but you get the idea.
Additional legroom also makes it easier for elderly people with mobility issues to get into the back seat of a car. The additional space between the B pillar and the front of the seat makes it easier for them to get their legs inside without having to turn their feet as much (or at all).

Wow, Tesla is done on Monday. Shorts will have a field day.

I see the word hate and I see 92.

2+2=4

Due diligence has been done.

Watch Goldman downgrade to sell and lower price targets by another $2.

View attachment 373871
And they cheated the Model X out of being in the top 10. It tied with the Dodge Charger at 85. I'm sure they have their scientists working on a new algo to make sure Tesla doesn't come out on top again next year.

• Funny
Reactions: skitown and MXWing