Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@Artful Dodger
@Fact Checking
@generalenthu

This post is an attempt to evaluate the impacts of a potential FCA-PSA-Tesla CO2 EU emission pool for 2020-2023. It supplements a previous post examining the current FCA-Tesla pool:
Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the 2019 Investors' Roundtable

Background:
Strict new CO2 emission limits have been imposed on new cars sold in the EU starting in 2020. Any manufacturers which sell in the EU are allowed to “pool” their fleets to reduce the pool average emissions and penalties. Fiat-Chrysler Automotive (FCA) and Tesla Inc. have formed such a pool with the implication that FCA will reimburse Tesla for participating.
In October 2019, a merger between FCA and PSA Groupe (Peugeot, Citroën, DS, Opel/Vauxhall) was announced. Further reports indicate all automakers in both groups will be retained.
PSA-FCA Merger Will Retain All 13 Automakers In The Lineup

The merger has apparently won union approval.
PSA unions approve FCA merger but remain 'vigilant' on plant implications

This assessment examines the implications of the FCA-Tesla emissions pool being expanded to include PSA. It uses similar assumption, methodology and references to the previous FCA-Tesla pool assessment, but these are repeated to make this a stand-alone document.

TL;DR:
Assuming the FCA-PSA pays Tesla 50% of the penalty-reduction value of the Tesla ZEVs sold in the EU (suggested by @Fact Checking), Table 1 shows the payment indicated by this assessment. Because of the large size of the combined FCA-PSA pool, it would take an extremely large number of Teslas (more than 500,000) to completely eliminate the FCA-PSA EU CO2 emission penalty.

View attachment 479102

The rest of the post documents the methodology used.

Major assumptions and findings:
The FCA-PSA-Tesla Pool emission target is 91.2 g/km. This is a weighted average of the 2018 FCA and PSA targets (weighted by the number of 2018 new vehicles sold by each group, Ref. 1).

The EU emission penalty is 95 €/(g/km)/vehicle (Ref.1)

View attachment 479103

Table 2 Column A shows the average CO2 emissions for the ICE portion of the pool. These are weighted averages of 2018 FCA and PSA values (weighted by the number of 2018 new vehicles sold by each group, Ref. 1) and are assumed to be constant through 2023, except for 2020 due to Phase-In rules (described below).

Table 2 Column B shows the number of ICE vehicles in the pool. These are the 2018 combined FCA and PSA numbers (Ref. 1 and 4) and are assumed to be constant through 2023, except for 2020 due to Phase-In rules. Note that the ICE component of the pools has increased by a factor of 4.5 relative to the FCA(only)-Tesla pool.

Table 2 Column C shows the Super-Credit factors. These allow a limited number of low-emission vehicles to have an exaggerated beneficial effect on emission penalty calculations (Ref. 1). The Super-Credit rules are described below.

Table 2 Column D shows the computed maximum number of ZEVs that can have Super-Credit status.

Table 2 Column E shows the computed penalty-reduction value per vehicle of the Super-Credit ZEVs.

Table 2 Column F shows the computed number of ZEVs (in addition to the Super-Credit ZEVs) needed to eliminate the entire emission penalty.

Table 2 Column G shows the computed penalty-reduction value per vehicle for the non-Super-Credit ZEVs.

View attachment 479107
Figure 1 captures the penalty situation graphically. The initial steeper slopes to the curves are due to the Super-Credit effect and the break in the slope occurs when their scope limitations occur. The downward shift of the 2020 data is due to the Phase-In rules.

Several things are immediately obvious:
1) The Super-Credit ZEVs have a very high value in penalty reduction (12,100€ - 18,600€ per vehicle). They apply to the first 107,000-164,000 ZEVs.
2) The non-Super-Credit ZEV’s still have 9000€/ZEV of penalty-reduction value and the total penalty is such that there is room for lots of them (450,000 to 870,000) before the penalty is completely eliminated.

When compared to the previous FCA(only)-Tesla pool assessment, the effect of the much larger ICE pool component (and much larger potential penalty) is clear. Many more ZEVs are eligible for Super-Credit status, and many more in excess of those are required to completely retire the emissions penalty. Note the change in the ordinate scale on Figure 1.

View attachment 479106

Table 3 tabulates the penalty reduction values as a function of ZEVs added to the fleet.

Implications for Tesla:
There has been speculation on the structure of FCA’s (or FCA-PSA’s) payment to Tesla for the inclusion of their ZEVs into the pool, but specifics seem lacking. As an example, the value of each Tesla could be thought of as a negotiated fraction of its penalty-reduction value (a “bounty”), paid by FCA-PSA. @Fact Checking suggested 50% for this bounty, and the results of that assumption are shown in Table 1. Table 1 is simply Table 3 multiplied by the bounty; any bounty value can be applied.

This assessment assumed negligible FCA-PSA ZEV contribution (consistent with Ref. 1 2018 data). If in the 2020-2023 timeframe FCA-PSA introduces (and sells) significant ZEVs of their own, these would presumably be the first placed in the Super-Credit category. These can simply be subtracted from Table 2 Column D, with the remainder available for Tesla. That remainder multiplied by the appropriate value in Column E will give the remaining Tesla Super-Credit penalty reduction. If FCA ZEV sales exceed the maximum available Super-Credits, the remaining FCA non-Super-Credit ZEVs can be subtracted from Table 2 Column F and remainder then multiplied by the appropriate value in Column G to get the remaining Tesla non-Super-Credit penalty reduction.

Presumably, penalties would by assessed by the EU in the year following their computation (e.g., 2020 emission exceedances would be penalized in 2021). The timing of the payments from FCA-PSA to Tesla (and subsequently availability for Tesla financial reporting) is unknown. It is possible that for each ZEV sale, Tesla would receive an immediate bounty. It is also possible that the lump Tesla bounty payments would go out at the same time as the penalty payment to the EU (a year after the sales).

Details

Super-Credits (Ref. 1):
Super-credits allow manufacturers to count their initial “low-emission vehicles” (<50 g CO2/km) as “multiple vehicles”. FCA-PSA have essentially no low-emission vehicles in its fleet, so all Super-Credits go to the Teslas.
Super-credit multipliers: 2020: 2.0, 2021: 1.67, 2022: 1.33, 2023: 1.0. Super-Credits are eliminated after 2023.
Maximum scope of super-credits: 7.5 g/km CO2 of effective emission reduction

2020 Phase-In (Ref. 1):
The wording associated with the 2020 phase-in is a bit ambiguous. Ref. 1 Section 4: “…the provision allows manufacturers to base average CO2 emission values on the best-performing 95% of vehicles”. I’m interpreting this to mean the manufacturer can exclude 5% of their worst polluting vehicles from the calculation of their average CO2emissions for 2020 and also exclude them from the total fleet count.
Ref. 5 provides an extensive list of independent emissions tests. Some of the worst scores for 2018 Fiat are the petrol 500X and Panda, for 2018 Opel are the petrol Corsa and Crossland X and for Peugeot are the petrol 2008 and 3008 models, all in the range of 175-200 g/km CO2. According to Ref. 4, more than 950,000 of these combined models were sold in Europe in 2018. Although the breakdown between petrol and diesel are not provided, it is likely that at least 160,000 (5% of the fleet) of these are petrol. It is therefore assumed that 160,000 vehicles with CO2 emissions of (average) 187 g/km are excluded from the 2020 FCA-PSA fleet. The recomputed fleet size and average emission value are shown in the first row, Column A and B of Table 2.

“Eco-Innovations” (Ref. 1):
“Eco-Innovations” were meant to be incentives to reduce ICE vehicle emissions. They include things like efficient alternators, LED lights and solar roofs and computations are used to translate them into CO2 credits. These could be used to reduce average CO2
emission values up to 7 g/km. Neither FCA nor PSA have any significant Eco-Innovations (Ref 3.).

References:
1) CO2 emissions from new passenger cars in the European Union: Car manufacturers’ performance in 2018 | International Council on Clean Transportation
2) European vehicle market statistics, 2018/2019 | International Council on Clean Transportation
3) Overview and evaluation of eco-innovations in European passenger car CO2 standards | International Council on Clean Transportation
4) Fiat European sales figures
5) EQUA Carbon Dioxide Index | EQUA INDEX | Independent real world driving data

Whoa.. these numbers are mind boggling. I see a free Berlin GF there and the investment timeline aligns really well with the bounty coming in.

Thanks for updating the model.

While I think the bounty may be higher than 50%, the outer years probably will see some decline as they will start pumping hybrids or start making more compliance cars based some a platform like MEB. VW is being smart here trying to sell a platform when all the automakers need one. That might be the android to Tesla's apple.

That said, your table stops at 240k, and I think Tesla can go past that in 2021, as Shanghai hits it's stride and Fremont continues to ramp with model Y alongside GF1. And may be a trickle from Berlin as well.

Can't wait for Q1 to see how much detail we'll start getting here. Also good news on the union approvals from the PSA side.

This is true, however, I assumed much of the building foundations for expansion are already in place at GF1. The same with utilities, road infrastructure, electricity supply etc. I think they also already have permits for significant footprint expansion given the current building still is only a fraction of the initial plan.

I still think it will be much quicker and cheaper to expand GF1 than it will to build GF5 from scratch. This is more important for Semi given guidance is for production within one year.

But haven’t there been problems scaling up local workforce and housing near GF1?

I'm on hold with his office now. What he failed to recognize is that he was actually promoting the value of the system. Thousands of people get into accidents due to fatigue every year. The fact that someone is able to fall asleep and wake up 14 miles later without causing harm to themselves or anyone else is a testament to the value of the autopilot system.
I agree completely! I posted something to that effect when the infamous video first surfaced a while ago. Without AP there would have been a horrendous accident (s) with probable fatalities. It proves that AP works!

It could be in the oven at Tesla, cam 9 fixes all nags if they had to. My guess is the Tesla Risk Management staff have the solution already, but owners would hate it. Thats the real impact of this story IMO. If this FUD gets in the way, we will pay in nags.
And we can thank the selfish A-holes who use the defeat devices and get caught sleeping while driving. Anyone using those should have their FSD license revoked with no refund.

Up next. Disabling cruise control until we can keep people from holding the steering wheel with their knees.

Senator Markey doesn't feel threatened by holding the steering wheel with his knees because he has probably done it himself from time to time. He's threatened by things he's *not* familiar with.

He really needs to hear from his constituents on this issue. Be friendly and nice. There's a fair chance it could make a huge difference in how this plays out.

That may certainly be true...depending on what their focus/priorities are supposed to be, how many there actually are, and how effective they are at doing the lobbying thing.

I'm sure their presence in DC is dwarfed by other major players.
Lobbyists are somewhat hamstrung by the amount of bribes...I mean contributions and gifts they can manage.

All of yesterday's gain lost today....

I wrote this in the 2018 Investors' Roundtable thread, I realize you probably aren't being that serious based on your length of membership on the forum, but I think it is worth repeating this every now and then, with a couple of tweaks.

"I feel as though I need to chime in with a few observations after holding common shares of TSLA since 2012 (I got out of the Options nonsense some years back after my hands were too bloody to catch anymore knives)

Here's how I sleep quite restfully at night*;

- Accept that $100 swings in the span of weeks or even days are normal and to expect that level of volatility.
- Elon's going to Tweet. It's never a mortal wound, but there will be stitches required from time to time.
- Every ER gets a little more exciting than the last in terms of the numbers, let those numbers do the talking.

In short, as long as the lights are on in Fremont, Reno and, Shanghai, I could care less about anything else.

*Got a TempurPedic last week, it's awesome. Update: The TempurPedic is Still awesome."

To save you a few minutes, the punchline is at the end senator Markey requests NHTsa to make tesla disable AP until they figure out how to keep people from defeating the wheel sensor with a water bottle or orange.

Can all Tesla owners in mass call his office and educate him? 617-565-8519 @senmarkey

Every day, 29 people in the United States die in motor vehicle crashes caused by an alcohol-impaired driver. We don't ban vehicles just because drunk drivers can use them. We punish the drunk drivers.

But haven’t there been problems scaling up local workforce and housing near GF1?

Knowing how pro-active Tesla is on issues like this, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that they had backed local builders and or banks to build relatively inexpensive homes and apartments by providing minimum purchase guarantees so the builder has an out if buyers aren't there at the necessary price points.

Also, didn't Musk throw something out there about installing some mobile home parks for worker housing?

Reactions: AZRI11
Knowing how pro-active Tesla is on issues like this, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that they had backed local builders and or banks to build relatively inexpensive homes and apartments by providing minimum purchase guarantees so the builder has an out if buyers aren't there at the necessary price points.

Also, didn't Musk throw something out there about installing some mobile home parks for worker housing?
FUD-Time News
"Musk forces employees to live in trailers, squalor."

GF1 seems like a likely location to produce Semi and Cybertruck but one highly speculative option -- combining 'Gentrify Mordor?" with Elon's suggestion a while back that a "tri-state area" bordering West Virginia could be a possibility for a future Gigafactory -- perhaps a brownfield site in that region ("Mordor") as a location for GF5 could be in the cards.

I think a location like this could be very good on many levels but it is obviously a complex decision.

Despite the fact that your average coal miner is very different from myself politically/culturally, I'd love to see some economic revival in those areas. You can't blame them for being angry and feeling left behind. I can judge who they decide to be angry at, but people with good job prospects and a future are less likely to want to burn things down.

Being from WV, I'd say it's unlikely that Tesla or anyone would locate anything of size in the coal (southern) region of the state even though it would be great for the people living there. It is geographically isolated and not really in a tristate area unless you go far west and more north to get into the WV-KY-OH tri-state area. Flat land in that part of the state is at a premium unless you can work with a reclaimed mine site, which may work, but infrastructure (roads, power, connectivity) would be difficult, but not impossible. Those areas are not near any type of logistics hub and you only have a piece of I-77 serving that mostly rural area. Once you leave that, you are in God's country. This area would probably get more state incentives for locating there - maybe.

The north central part of the state is home to WVU and some high tech/aerospace manufacturing, so that could be a possibility. More educated/skilled population. Access to I-79 and I-68 interstates, but those aren't major. Flat land is still difficult to obtain.

The northern panhandle also has some possibilities. Not too far from from Pittsburgh, I-70 access, able to draw on population from PA and OH, but still relatively small.

The best bet from a logisitics, workforce, flat available land, infrastructure standpoint is the eastern panhandle with easy access to north-south I-81 traffic and east-west I-70 traffic to large population centers. It's not far form I-95 where you can hit the whole east coast for outgoing deliveries. Proctor & Gamble just built a massive facility (2.5 million sq ft on 458 acres) along I-81 south of Martinsburg for that purpose - ability to serve the east coast. Macy's also has a massive distribution center here. From where I live in the eastern panhandle, I can be in 3 other states (PA, MD, VA) in 20 minutes on 81, so there is a lot of crossover between the "quad state" region when choosing where to live/work. P&G works with a local community/tech college to train their workers with dedicated programs. This 2 year school also happens to be the 3rd largest school in the state based on enrollment (only behind WVU and Marshall), so not a small outfit.

Last edited:
Yes, but that was during a time when demand volume was uncertain, he made that statement when there was a violent drop off in Q1 due to demand being pulled forward for Q4 (declining subsidies). We could very well be out of the woods now in terms of demand as the Q3 letter expounded confidence. If we continue with the current demand moving forward, the outlook may not be as pessimistic.

He reiterated those comments in July where he made clear statements about demand and yet still reiterated that Q1 would be weaker. Here's the post i made earlier:

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the 2019 Investors' Roundtable

I would be skeptical to conclude that their Q1 2020 sentiment has changed much since the end of July.

• Informative
Reactions: UncaNed
So I am attempting to increase my share holding with the static funds I have for that goal. The only way to do this is of course to sell and rebuy, I have my buy order set to go if it drops below 347/share...and let's be honest here this stock follows no logic since from my perspective it should already be in the 385 neighborhood but 100% of the time I have thought there is now way it could drop to X level again in the last few years, it has. So it hurt to sell off the stock more than it should, I think I have emotional attachment to being a share holder in this awesome company that is changing the world but I did it, sold early yesterday not greedy just to further my goal of ultimately increasing my shares in the end.

No idea how this plan is going to work out for me but I am sticking to it this time.