Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder how much of the design was to significantly improve aerodynamics vs trying to be different for different's sake
The angled bed cover is a huge aerodynamic benefit. The wheel arches are an issue and may evolve.
The 39900 price says a lot about where Tesla thinks the battery price is going to be in two years, because it’s going to take a 90+KWh pack to get the estimated range for the low-end model. They have to be looking at less than $100/kWh at the pack level. No one is anywhere close to that.
They need <100/kWh pack for Semi pricing, which they said would ship by now, so they must feel sub-100 in late 2021 is a slam dunk.

I'm not sure about pack size. That'd be 300 miles in a Model X Raven and this Cd might be similar (depending on wheel arches). Frontal area is probably larger, though I don't recall the dimensions offhand. Those sure don't look like LRR tires, either.

I always wanted a stainless steel car (not fond of paint as it gets scratches, looks old after some years). Stainless steel gets patina with age - looks better.

This will be my first truck - ever. Love the clean design. Bauhaus? Form and Function.

Guess I won't be the only one.

This thing polarizes as much as TSLA. In the end - it will win (as will TSLA).

Screen-Shot-2019-11-22-at-5.51.24-AM.jpg

The two less expensive versions are coming in “late 2021”, while two more expensive versions with more motors and bigger battery packs are going to be available in “late 2022.”

That's 4 versions...
100 cu ft. storage in the bed, almost twice what the Ford 6.5' bed carries.

Did anyone see the width or tracking space?

To say I'm disappointed is a total understatement. I thought Musk said he learned his lesson on the Model X?

Why can't Tesla just build normal vehicles like the Model S and Model 3? I don't even get the point of this truck.

I just don't see how they will ever sell over 20k a year.

And now I'll spend the next 2 years trying to defend another boneheaded move by Musk. No wonder Straubel quit - he didn't want know part of this career-ending monstrosity.

Musk seriously needs to bring in some new designers with some fresh ideas. There were 10 trucks on the internet that would have sold 20 times as many as this truck - and for an actual profit. There's no way they're making any money on a $70k truck that gets 500 miles of range. Just not possible.
I havent done a market survey of pickup truck buyers, but i'm guessing they are not into the 'taurus'-ing of pickups as has happened with sedans, then suvs... Earlier on, someone had mentioned that this truck is just plain badass, and that is the selling point. If it can outpull a F150 then the market will be all over this.

The main questions to ask are, how are they getting battery prices this low? Do they have the worlds largest battery factory in their back pocket?

Does the exoskeleton and stainless steel design mean easier or harder production? ( this is rhetorical, since at that price point, it has to be easier and cheaper)

The pop up camper option with the stove extension got my wife as soon as she saw it.

*She* says she wants it over the Model X or Y now.

I love the dent free exoskeleton and the performance.

So we both are sold. This might be something common with other suburbia families as well.
My wife wants the truck more than Y now, reason is it would be cool to drop kid off school in it.

But I broke the reality to her, that there will be a queue of this exact same truck at school in the morning...

This is an obvious early rendition, suspension demo failed. Can’t wait to hear about rides.

Anyone find the ATV order page yet?

Fire Away!
What failed on the suspension demo?

I saw the rear suspension lower while the front suspension raise for loading the ATV. What did I miss?

Musk said the active suspension was standard? I don't see how they can hit the announced price points for the specs offered but what do I know?

• Informative
Reactions: Boomer19
The single motor RWD version will offer 250 miles of range.

A dual motor all-wheel-drive version will reach 300 miles of range and a tri-motor version will have 500 miles of range:

Model X has 314 mils with 100 kWh.

Therefore:

80 kWh - maybe 75?
100 kWh?
175 kWh? Not double height? With battery improvements this might be in the same volume as 125.

50% more battery than SR+ for the same price - plus a few other features....