Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder how much of the design was to significantly improve aerodynamics vs trying to be different for different's sake
Measure the slope angle of the rear cover. If its 17 degrees or less, I guarantee this was done for aerodynamics. Same as the empennage on an aircraft (or any airfoil), its done to avoid flow separation an the resulting turbulent drag. If fact, they should call this the F-117 Cybertruck.

Cheers!

What failed on the suspension demo?

I saw the rear suspension lower while the front suspension raise for loading the ATV. What did I miss?

Musk said the active suspension was standard? I don't see how they can hit the announced price points for the specs offered but what do I know?

When he went over the slide for the suspension demo, I think it was supposed to go full low and then raise back up. Speculation of of course, but it looked like he was waitin for it.

Fire Away!

The pop up camper option with the stove extension got my wife as soon as she saw it.
Me too. Dreamcase will probably make a nice bed for the Cybertruck.
Plugs to keep a refrigerator on for days.
Towing capability to tow any size of caravan.

I’m talking myself into ordering one, but first I need to hear what my wife thinks.

Also of note: this is the first off-road vehicle that Tesla is offering. That combined with the low price will already find a lot of buyers.

You folks must not live in pickup land. I do. People buy trucks that look good all jacked up and makes them feel manly. Every other vehicle in South Ga is a pickup truck, and rarely is anything being hauled or in the bed.

Work trucks are the 5 year old pickups - that used to look good, but not any more.

Every single person I know with a work truck has an F250 or F350.

Regular pickup trucks are nothing more than a fashion statement glamorized by country music. This is NOT going to be glamorized in a country music song!!

I see the same exact trucks you describe even in highly populated San Francisco area suburbs.
Even more manly when they have the balls tow hook accessory hanging out from the back.

Screen-Shot-2019-11-22-at-5.51.24-AM.jpg

The two less expensive versions are coming in “late 2021”, while two more expensive versions with more motors and bigger battery packs are going to be available in “late 2022.”

That's 4 versions...
3 versions. 3

• Informative
Reactions: Artful Dodger
The presentation tonight was horrifically bad. Fortunately, that is meaningless. Very few people will ever see it.

I just spent a few minutes looking at what the masses are seeing tonight, and I have to say, this truck really looks awesome in the videos and pictures in the media.

This product is so very different that I need a few days just to process it.

I hate it, but I put down a deposit. It's only $100 and it: A) Might grown on me. B) Get updated to something more conventional. I think Rivian just started getting a ton of deposits....

Same boat here, so I did it too, the Dual of course. I bet there's much more to this story so let's see it play out. My RN came up with 666. Nice.

Tomorrow, I'm not going to look. This thing stealing the hearts of hardened truck people not happening. Next gen, for sure.
How do you polish it? No paint ever? People in the north are going to love it, no rust.

Camping protection for sure... from bears? No, dinosaurs and aliens!

11-21-2019 10-14-54 PM.png

Yeah we get that you're not a fan of the look. People are posting once saying I like it, love it, or hate it. But they're not saying it over and over again. Bout to go on the ignore list

Woot Woot - someone's post is about to get nuked. Not allowed to mention the ignore feature.

But ok, I with you. I won't say I don't like it again. Though, I don't. But, I did place an order just in case I change my mind. ;)

EDIT: Meant to say, "P-WEASE oh P-WEASE don't put me on your <word not allowed to say> list.

Our reactions:

1. First of all, as with every vehicle that I, at least, ever have owned, I really, truly don't give a rat's patooty what its outside looks like, down to the wheel rims (Jenny: "deep down since we live in a car culture I - and you, dear husband also do - care"). I'll take function over form.

2. I've owned a lot pickup trucks (plus a passel of Land Cruisers and 3 vans). 2 with 6 1/2' beds and 7 with 8-footers. It's very difficult for me to consider a 6 1/2 footer. IF the tailgate is stout enough to act as a bed extender - and that is not an immensely difficult task - then that vehicle's utility increases but we're already deep into the discussion of Americentric Pickup Truck! vs Eurocentric Enclosed Van! that I find myself in so much. (...and our current Sprinter van can carry, nicely protected against all weather, 16' boards...)

3. The interior looks, to me, satisfactory. Not so capacious in any dimension as that of our current F-350, however, other than one very important one: Jenny HATES the front passenger footwell in the Ford: the tranny hump diminishes her leg/foot space so much that on long trips she'll sit in the rear. Never a problem in any Tesla or probably any EV from anyone. But those jump seats in both front and back of the Cybertruck look rather skimpy. And WHAT is the rear seat headroom? With that roof rake, it looks limiting. Not a problem for the jr. high soccer team, but a work crew? That's important to learn. Rear legroom looks a bit cramped - but will reserve judgment until know for sure.

4. Love the exoskeleton in its ramifications for the vehicle's strength; love that stainless steel for its shrugging off arctic tundra willows and Sonoran desert mesquite...and the odd sledgehammer.

5. Others have commented on the presentation fail. Won't repeat.

6. Late 2022 is far enough out that it gives Tesla time to extend its SpC network north to Alaska. That is and always has been the #1 Go/NoGo criterion for us. Without it - and without a network of SpCs in Alaska as well - then the truck is not of interest to us. With it, and I'll get one. Or two. I'm suspecting from the viewpoint of November, 2019, that the charger network will NOT be ready by then. I also, on the other hand, suspect by then I'll be three + years older. And counting.

On edit:
7. I had earlier commented on the importance for me in understanding what means Tesla would be using to suspend the vehicle, and that an absolute minimum of 100mm (4") of height adjustment would be necessary for it to begin to be considered as off-roadable. We did not learn the first, other than it being effected with air; as regards the second, there was the cryptic 4" in each direction for a maximum clearance of 16". I'll take that to mean 8" of adjustment possible....which, if true, is really, really terrific, both for high-speed aerodynamics and low-speed rock crawling.

Measure the slope angle of the rear cover. If its 17 degrees or less, I guarantee this was done for aerodynamics. Same as the empennage on an aircraft (or any airfoil), its done to avoid flow separation an the resulting turbulent drag. If fact, they should call this the F-117 Cybertruck.

Cheers!
Wanted to hear more about the design as well, and they had an image of the F-117 on the screen briefly....