Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
[...]
Nevertheless we have seen in the past that the public opinion often does not see the obvious which is one reason why people doubted the success of the Model 3 to happen and still don't and the S,3 and Y are mainstream cars where the truck is cyberpunk IOW its not for everybody.

For that reason I expect a huge negative and FUD campaign to happen assuming a polarizing design and many people will naturally not like it while other will love it and sell the house to get one. If thats the case we may see a negative impact on the SP at least for a short time.

My thoughts exactly. Plan to jump in at some point after the reveal.

Let us know how that goes.

In my opinion, there's a very good chance TSLA will be well over $352 by then.
Meh, I'm happy with the free 5% discount I got for waiting a few days.

Really, just compare the two trucks in the image and tell me which is better. One looks like a Lamborghini for $40k and the other looks like a classic car from looney toons.

We have the one on the left (F-150 but with a longer bed, shorter cab). I never really liked the look of it, not even when we bought it new in 2010, but we needed a truck and it was heads and shoulders above the ridiculous looking Ram. Finally, there is something to replace it with that doesn't scream "poor engineering, crappy driving dynamics, terrible off-road capabilities, 36-gallon gas guzzler"!

Tesla has done a mind-blowing thing here (and that's coming from someone who initially claimed Tesla had "punked" us and the real Cybertruck would be revealed shortly).

Do you all believe that there's no such thing as bad publicity?

3 out of the top 10 posts on r/all are about the Cybertruck right now.

Screenshot from 2019-11-22 11-13-23.png

Feel more than usual that this is a great dip to buy. What exactly are we selling? A whiff on a product that might be launched three years from now? A failure for this truck will be Tesla selling more units than S and X together did three years ago. It will still make money.

Fourth quarter earnings coming. Model Y around the corner. Macros suddenly behaving despite everyone screaming recession, correction. Looking for a 700k run rate exiting 2020 before Berlin comes on line. Ridiculous. Did not even mention energy or battery advancements that Tesla basically said are in the bag based on Cybertruck specs.

Happy to buy this dip. But what do I know? How about you?

Futuristic, blade runner, cyberpunk doesn't have to mean butt ugly. You tell me when Elon said it would be butt ugly and be the laughing stock of the internet the day after the reveal.

All of us on here are die-hard fans. We are also investors. We are naturally going to try VERY hard to like this truck and/or see it in the best light. But, among the rest of the world, I have not seen even ONE person that liked this truck. Heck, I haven't found many people not making fun of it. Let's hope Tesla can sell 50k per year to us investors/mega-fans.
The orders that I and others placed say you're wrong.

Seriously waiting for the crash tests!

While funny I have to imagine that the design of the Cybertruck crumble zone must have been a real challenge.

I mean, the vehicle's is supported by its outer shell of 3mm steel that you can't even dent with a sledge hammer, so driving that into something even heavier at high speed and surviving like one will in a Model S/3/X, cannot have been an easy task to solve.

So I expect the crash tests to gain a lot of attention.

Edit: Fixed nasty typo.

Last edited:
One thing I have to admit - think about the Model 3 reveal. What was everyone saying the next day? They were making fun of the minimalists interior and saying it looked like the screen was just stuck on as an afterthought. It was pretty brutal the day after the reveal.

Fast forward almost 4 years, and Ford reveals a car with a nearly copy-cat interior of the Model 3. So, who know what 2 or 3 years will bring.

That's why I got 2 reservations. I hate that truck with a passion right now - but I'm smart enough to know I might love it in a year or two. you never know -especially if they tweak it a little.

I already noticed that the truck looked different this morning when I visited the website again. It means that my own perception of beauty is changing. Even though I was already in love with the design. I believe this is a case of us thinking that something is ugly because it is such a foreign look. The same principle behind finding all woman to be ugly for the first week when you landed in a new culture.

I don't think it will take much to change the design to be more appealing. They can add a blade runner package where they eschew the efficiency for some decorative lines that add that blade runner roughness to it. Not like truck driver are the most efficiency conscient people in the world.

Steve Jobs said it best .... people don't know what they want, you have to show them.

Elon's balls are bigger than the one they used to crack the window, he could have take the easy road out and copied a more traditional design but that's NOT what Elon or Tesla are all about. Kudos to them for pushing the envelope, even though I'm getting creamed right now I'm not worried at all.

People laughed at the original iMac, iPhone, MacBook(clamshell) and AirPods ..... Apple laughed last.

As an early Apple investor I moved a lot of money into TSLA because I saw the same thing I used to see in Apple .... while Apple is more of a cash machine now and less of an innovator...... Tesla has moved into that role.

Go Elon

Go TSLA!

Cheers to the longs who have the vision to stick with this company ... you will be richly rewarded.

While funny I have to imagine that the design of the Cybertruck crumble zone must have been a real challenge.

I mean, the vehicle's is supported by its outer shell of 3mm steel that you can even dent with a sledge hammer, so driving that into something even heavier at high speed and surviving like one will in a Model S/3/X, cannot have been an easy task to solve.

So I expect the crash tests to gain a lot of attention.

Cybertruck doesn't crash "into" something, it smashes right through it.

Last edited:
He said unconventional and might not be popular. No matter what the reason the end result was clearly laid out, people may not like it. You should not be surprised that people may not like it. I think enough people will like it that they'll sell all they can make as fast as they can make them, and that's all that matters.
And I think it will be at least a tie between Y and Cybertruck.

Seriously waiting for the crash tests!

The crash tests will be brutal -- for the testing equipment :p
Remember when Model S broke the roof crush-testing machine ?
This will break all their equipment...
Imagine side-impact pole test => pole gets destroyed, snapped off at the bottom line of the truck

The look is not the most impressive -- kind of like a rendering from a very old video game with low triangle count.
But the functionality at the price is amazing.
By the time this is available in Canada (late 2022), it will be time for me to replace my then 8-year old model S, I think I'll go with dual motor cybrtrck. It will have more range, better acceleration, more seats, autopilot, tough skin all for the cost of an AWD model 3.

ps: I think the biggest mistake of the presentation was to focus on the toughness, should have focused on utility instead. Spend more time on towing, electrical outlets, air compressor etc.

No it actually can't corrode in salt like every other car, that's why marine fittings are made of stainless steel. The truck isn't going to be submerged in salt water for most of it's life. :rolleyes:

Interesting that he mentioned they created a new metal compound. Maybe it's also lightweight? It sure flexed a lot when hit which was a good sign. Plus it will match my SS tool chest.

I think my dissonance stems from my usage as a non-off road type (occasional anyway). This is the most logical design of a truck for max ruggedness that's affordable and safe. It's overkill to do most of what I actually need - garage sale shopping or pick up a large appliance at home depot. I need something to tow occasionally, and it must fit in the garage. It's got all that and more - I will love having electrical and pneumatics onboard!

I'll warm up eventually, but I like sexy too. I just can't consider other trucks at this point in time unless they can self drive and charge everywhere. Maybe that will happen by the time CT is ready and I have a choice (don't expect it though).

For the record, I thought the same weirdness about the display on the model 3, and now I look for it (and really miss it) when I must drive an ICE. I never really liked conventional truck shapes either, I was a blazer guy. I swear every Ford F-150 I've seen droops in the middle like it's going to split in two. And that shape would seriously push more air so it's all wrong for the future.

He started the prez with a show of traditional trucks. Ya, didn't like those either and his point about the 3 looking so similar, I do have to look at truck badges now just to see who made it. And to me, they are all getting bigger and uglier. I would never buy any of them. I do like the Rivian, but again, price and specs are missing there.

Time to buy back in yet? This is just a blip in the radar. (Speaking of radar, I bet these will confuse Waymo Lidar - a glaring laser mirror surface indeed!)