Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What is the average mileage of cars when they are scrapped?

Google tells me 106,000

The implications of Tesla's ambition for a 1,000,000 mile car are at least as profound as electrification. Far fewer cars being made, fewer large vehicle manufacturers, less manufacturing employment, better for the environment.

It is also a moat that other manufacturers will find difficult to deal with.

I'm not gonna lie I was annoyed by the lack of bounce today. I expected more. It will definitely come, but I was a little irked. My attitude on TSLA action changes when I hold options, which I currently do.
Jim Cramer is being sort of sarcastic, and he's also doing CYA; his words are not a death knell for TSLA and he does not have any magic insider foresight about such things anyway.
Ford is showing their ass, and Elon's flippant-yet-sincere "bring it on" is very exciting. This is Elon at his smuggest. Smug Elon comes off much more subtly than many other smug people who absolutely don't deserve it. Like Neil Degrasse Tyson.

@StealthP3D bro Neil is a narcissistic, repetitive, pretentious nitwit and totally insufferable. He's not even that remarkable in his field. He's a mouthpiece/actor and not a good oneView attachment 481497 View attachment 481498

Many on this forum had yolo'd on faggie D before and got burnt. Many are understanding of your situation and most have stopped buying faggie Ds. They do have their purposes though, like when TSLA was at $180

Many on this forum had yolo'd on faggie D before and got burnt. Many are understanding of your situation and most have stopped buying faggie Ds. They do have their purposes though, like when TSLA was at $180
I'm not trying to be alarmist; I am not down any kind of break-the-bank amount, I was just wrong about the price movement today, which if you pay attention, is pretty rare (for short term predictions).

What is the average mileage of cars when they are scrapped?

Google tells me 106,000

The implications of Tesla's ambition for a 1,000,000 mile car are at least as profound as electrification. Far fewer cars being made, fewer large vehicle manufacturers, less manufacturing employment, better for the environment.

It is also a moat that other manufacturers will find difficult to deal with.

upload_2019-11-26_1-15-25.png

Also the more valuable the vehicle the more likely people are willing to invest in repairs.

More people are willing to spend $2k in repairing an F150 than the same amount of money into a Ford Focus when both are 11 years old and have 200k miles on the odometer.

doesn't seem right tbh. I would bet at least 60k lower

It seems right on the money to me.

People on this forum grossly exaggerate how much maintenance is required for an ICEv and how quickly they become uneconomical.

Others learned said figures when they were ~20 years old and think things haven't changed.

View attachment 481510

Also the more valuable the vehicle the more likely people are willing to invest in repairs.

More people are willing to spend $2k in repairing an F150 than the same amount of money into a Ford Focus when both are 11 years old and have 200k miles on the odometer.

True, but an F150 is more likely to be damaged. The three work trucks I have been involved with in the last year (which I do not own) all have significant damage, bed, tailgate, interior, and lots of more cosmetic problems, paint, rust, etc. and all have way under 100,000 miles on them.

I was also making a general point about cars in general, not just trucks. My understanding is that Tesla has ambitions for million mile vehicles in general, not just the cybertruck,

Google seems to differ, the answer below is for the UK, which has lower mileage per year and probably has more salt damage.

upload_2019-11-26_9-17-36.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-11-26_9-17-23.png
    upload_2019-11-26_9-17-23.png
    49.1 KB · Views: 29
I hope that this challenge by Ford, acceptance by Tesla, and then backing down by Ford goes viral. Great PR for Tesla (and Ford too if you think about it, especially if they eventually agree to the competition) and great meme fodder.

Just brilliant (and free) marketing by Tesla/Elon yet again. Same as the Porsche/Tesla track time competition.

Yet another reason to consider Foghat's idea-

Has anyone done a review on Accipeter Capital’s *multiple* false claims and predictions on Tesla and Elon over the past few years? The media operation they have put up behind its short position is impressive seemingly uniting interests among other Tesla short players.

The documented wrong statements on CNBC alone should be put together as a greatest hit list video of dubious credibility vs the reality of Tesla success.

It also would be a great viral marketing tool for Tesla as it only helps to validate Tesla success in the face of well heeled short interest attacks seemingly given extra time and credence on increasingly irrelevant (on consumer influence) legacy media
Some sort of well-run, well-funded Tesla news organization perhaps. Far beyond my abilities, sadly. If only we could get John Oliver interested in a story...

Last edited:
It seems right on the money to me.

People on this forum grossly exaggerate how much maintenance is required for an ICEv and how quickly they become uneconomical.

Others learned said figures when they were ~20 years old and think things haven't changed.
Could be true and I didn't mean to dirty delete. But I certainly didn't realize avg lifespan was 200k (and am not convinced).
My last car was an 06 Lincoln LSV8, crapped out at 145K (head gasket) and which I sold to the Russian mafia in L.A.
My previous 2 cars were a 96 Geo Metro and an 88 Acura Integra, neither of which made it past 155K

(oh also a very short lived used Mitsu Eclipse, also head gasket)

• Helpful
Reactions: Krugerrand
Could be true and I didn't mean to dirty delete. But I certainly didn't realize avg lifespan was 200k (and am not convinced).
My last car was an 06 Lincoln LSV8, crapped out at 145K (head gasket) and which I sold to the Russian mafia in L.A.
My previous 2 cars were a 96 Geo Metro and an 88 Acura Integra, neither of which made it past 155K

(oh also a very short lived used Mitsu Eclipse, also head gasket)

SC, you must have made them a very generous offer. You’re still with us.

My problem is he was giving financial advice without testing the product first? wow......a true con man.

I asked him if it was his first ride in a Tesla, but he said no, he's been in many over the years, but this was the first time in a Model X with the wife.

And that, as they say, was that.

His Tesla Bull declaration sounded toungue-in-cheek to me.
Looks to me like he said one thing on twitter, then CNBC likely told him if he wanted to continue to be a performer on their network he needed to revise his tone.

Edit to add observations of Max Pain for this week, Sunday night it was 340, monday morning it was 335, (i placed a limit buy there and got some more shares), MP went as low as 332.5 mid-day. This morning it is back to 335. ...just sayin.

Last edited:
Reactions: SpaceCash
I do not feel good about inflating numbers slash pumping. Does not feel genuine. Applies to a few people. I understand that some are trying to game the system, like put 2 reservations in and decide later which one to go with (diff specs+FSD->so the price does not reset if you update specs later).
Tesla allowed it. I am myself in this position not sure if I'll be able to pay for it. I would if I didn't buy the Y, but 3 years with ICE is too much.
Maybe will have to finance, but would prefer not to. I would prefer if they made $100(or more) non-refundable. You're buying an option in this case and not making outrageous nonsensical decisions.

This just makes reservation numbers less reliable. I'm sure they'll grow anyway and ultimately will put to shame the sales numbers for all their other models. Still. I wish people only kept those reservations they could use.

I guess I wasn't clear enough in my post. I'll explain. The day the truck came out, I hated it. I still did a deposit because the specs were simply amazing, and I value function over looks. But, over the last few days, the truck has started to look somewhat "normal" to me. And since I have 2 kids in college (who might wind up wanting one after they graduate), plus my wife has hinted she'd like one instead of an X, I realized that I might actually wind up buying 3.

A few days ago I posted that I thought the reservation numbers were high due to the accidental orders. I got slammed with tons of disagrees. Now I post something positive about the truck, and I will get slammed. I'm starting to think people just like to click the disagree button.

I do not feel good about inflating numbers slash pumping. Does not feel genuine. Applies to a few people. I understand that some are trying to game the system, like put 2 reservations in and decide later which one to go with (diff specs+FSD->so the price does not reset if you update specs later).
Tesla allowed it. I am myself in this position not sure if I'll be able to pay for it. I would if I didn't buy the Y, but 3 years with ICE is too much.
Maybe will have to finance, but would prefer not to. I would prefer if they made $100(or more) non-refundable. You're buying an option in this case and not making outrageous nonsensical decisions.

This just makes reservation numbers less reliable. I'm sure they'll grow anyway and ultimately will put to shame the sales numbers for all their other models. Still. I wish people only kept those reservations they could use.
A good thought, but here's the thing. We don't know enough about the options and pricing. We don't know how close the timeline will be to the dates shown. Typically Tesla has put the highest spec car first rather than last. So for some of us, a year or two extra might be too much to wait for the premium spec car. And I believe Elon said they took duplicates out of the count.

I guess I wasn't clear enough in my post. I'll explain. The day the truck came out, I hated it. I still did a deposit because the specs were simply amazing, and I value function over looks. But, over the last few days, the truck has started to look somewhat "normal" to me. And since I have 2 kids in college (who might wind up wanting one after they graduate), plus my wife has hinted she'd like one instead of an X, I realized that I might actually wind up buying 3.

A few days ago I posted that I thought the reservation numbers were high due to the accidental orders. I got slammed with tons of disagrees. Now I post something positive about the truck, and I will get slammed. I'm starting to think people just like to click the disagree button.

(Disagree clicked for irony value ;) )

It has nothing to do with torque.

The truck with the most weight on the drive wheels wins. I suspect the CT with its heavy batteries far outweighs the aluminum-bodied Ford.

I haven't seen any mention of how much the CT weighs. Anybody?
wtf. am i in the wrong thread? or am i dead? Was he hacked? where is the punchline?

i've watched too many of his Tesla related videos over the last year and half to believe anything.

I refreshed this page like 5 times to see if this was some sort of hallucination. i'm only only somewhat kidding.

not that i should care about the opinions of what is essentially a reality tv entertainment show host, but this is definitely a headscratcher.

Jim is actually a very nice guy. Met him a few times back when I was doing high powered sales and at conferences he'd stay for 1-2 hours being very gracious to shake hands and talk. He could have said his piece and taken off but he never did. Of all the speakers I've heard at high powered events he was the most welcoming and approachable. He'd answer any stock/business question you'd have. So, I am glad to see he's finally gotten on board.

Now I don't know what to click. Like, because I like that you're getting three. Disagree because I don't think people click disagree just to click disagree. Informative because of the change of heart.

I'm not trying to be alarmist; I am not down any kind of break-the-bank amount, I was just wrong about the price movement today, which if you pay attention, is pretty rare (for short term predictions).
Yep. I lost my bet on a slight recovery Friday afternoon that never happened.

SANCHO: PLEASE STOP MAKING SHORT TERM BETS. I do so much better with longer term bets, and with half the indigestion.

Of course I had to disagree with you:p