Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't believe anyone expected the drag coefficient to be as good as the other Teslas, it only has to be significantly better than other trucks (which it appears to be). No point in releasing the figures until the final iteration. There was quite a lot of information in the presentation, sometimes too much information is a detriment. Now I think I would have shown a few practical scenarios than they did.

By trading the skin and unibody for an exoskeleton, the weight should be the same or less than a similar sized vehicle (obviously more than a smaller vehicle). The exoskeleton's thickness was, presumably, determined by how much strength and stiffness was needed to make the vehicle do what it was supposed to do. The bullet resistance was just a byproduct. It might be that a smaller vehicle would need the same or almost the same thickness. You won't just be able to reduce the thickness because the vehicle is smaller due to the stiffness and strength requirements.

Strength requirements are not the same in all axes at all points in a vehicle, and can vary dramatically. An internal structure with a light skin orients its loadbearing elements exactly where they're needed. If your frame is the skin, you have to significantly vary the skin thickness, and even that doesn't give you full axis control, since it's planar. Also, strength-to-weight of an exoskeleton doesn't drop off linearly with weight reduction (e.g. thinning); it drops off exponentially. I'd have to look up the equations, but if I remember right in terms of strain it's to the second power, and for deflection, to the third power.

Again, though, there may be some hybridization potential. But I want people to keep their expectations in check. If you're all expecting everything to suddenly go polygonal... just, don't get disappointed.

ED: 2d moment of inertia of the cross section (m^4) is t^3/12. Stress in a beam length L supported on both ends over a gap with force F applied at a point in the middle is (t/2)*F*L / (4 I) = F*L / (2/3 * t^2). So yes, stress per unit declines proportional to thickness squared. As for deflection, with a modulus of elasticity E, it's F*L^3 / (48*E*I) = F*L^3 / (4*E*t^3). So yes, proportional to thickness cubed. Good, my memory still functions at least somewhat ;)

To restate the consequences: halve the armor weight, and you quadruple the stress from a given force and 8x the deflection.

This also reiterates the reason why if you want to stop stress / deflection in an accident, you ideally want physically thick beams. Moment of inertia rises so fast with thickness relative to mass. Which is why buildings are built with trusses rather than just "exoskeletons" - a truss raises the effective thickness. And it's why you build out of hollow tubes and I-beams rather than solid bars.

Last edited:
Noticed my wife quietly surfing on the web. Went for a shower. Came out and noticed an email on my phone. This is what I saw.

49133904071_0a2447ec4c.jpg

Sigh......

Last edited:
CT deposits may have slowed down day-by-day since the reveal, but I think there will be a Thanksgiving bump. Many folks on the fence about it will enjoy talking with friends & family over the dinner table and through the weekend, and I would not be surprised if it's enough to spur a new tweet about deposits later on Sunday, in time for the markets to analyse again on Monday.

(Just a USA issue of course, deposits in other areas of the globe will continue their slow-down)

CT deposits may have slowed down day-by-day since the reveal, but I think there will be a Thanksgiving bump. Many folks on the fence about it will enjoy talking with friends & family over the dinner table and through the weekend, and I would not be surprised if it's enough to spur a new tweet about deposits later on Sunday, in time for the markets to analyse again on Monday.

(Just a USA issue of course, deposits in other areas of the globe will continue their slow-down)
I think 250k is already plenty for Elon to be getting on with. He's already said he didn't think they would get that many orders. He needs to figure out where to get batteries and build them now.

Reactions: SpaceCash
I'll add (relative to my edits here - Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the 2019 Investors' Roundtable) that I highly doubt that all of the strength is in the skin. Rather, I imagine that they're doing something like hat stringers or whatnot welded to the skin. In that design, the skin is still an integral part of the strength-absorbing structure rather than just being dead mass. But it's not the only structural mass. Gotta stretch significantly out of plane if you want to get a high moment of inertia.

Indeed, Musk specifically made an airplane analogy. Well, airplanes use stringers in addition to their skin. He also mentioned Starship. Starship, likewise, uses hat stringers.

How does Rivian have even a tiny prayer of building enough to accommodate their vehicles, Ford's vehicles, and Amazon's delivery vans? Also, how TF do you not mention Tesla even once in that article Reuters?

This was her argument. You can literally fill a fridge with beer, roll it up the built in ramp...and plug it in. Now thats facility.

Canadian chicks. Whadayagunnado.
For years we transported chest freezers on wheels to trade shows. It would have been awesome to be able to plug into the bed of the truck holding them. Edit, you don't want to ask what was in the freezers. (rats and mice, frozen rats and mice)

Well, I'm having a similar issue and don't live anywhere near Seattle. Can't log in. But I've always assumed the data centre was in Fremont.

Surely they have a backup somewhere in the Midwest or something as well for disaster recovery situations.

Given that the API appears to be broken it does seem like they put all their eggs in one basket, whether that is Fremont or elsewhere. That doesn't fly and will become a bigger issue the more vehicles there are. I really didn't think it would be done like that. Even where I work we have considerable redundancy. But it was for me as well so it appears to have been across the nation. (working now)