Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@SpaceCash

6898825_0.jpg

tesla cybertruck Long Sleeve T-Shirt
That pretty much says it all!

Much love to my TMC fam!!
Weddings, food, booze, and family are pulling me away from the board but I am so excited for all things Tesla right now. CYBRTRK was the iPhone moment times a bajillion. I will never pull out. We're looking good. By Wednesday I should be back on my regular programming.

All you cats stay cool!
:cool:

Ya do? My cat thinks the service I provide makes Tesla look like customer support geniuses!

My cats say that they love being part of the family to my face, but secretly rate my servitude as merely adequate.

MVIMG_20180323_200521~2.jpg

PS: But seriously for a moment, anyone that doesn't know my posts, this is just a funny post with a sleepy/bored Loki photo, one of my rescue kitties. We do tend to personify them a bit and attribute godlike powers to them (they can teleport between the shower and closet, honestly). My wife and I spoil Loki and her sister, Tikka, awfully and they are the most affectionate cats we've ever had the privilege of sharing a home with.

Last edited:
Both were fun at the table and I kept a pretty low profile just enjoying the company and warm spirits and avoiding religion, politics and Tesla. When I got home I remeasured the garage to be sure the CT will fit. Next year should be interesting.

I have a nephew who works in operations at Kia USA Headquarters.

My brother-in-law (not his dad) tried to goad me into "hey, watcha think about those Kia cars"

I said "no worse than Hyundai or Honda" and just left it there.

Something about a man's ignorance is never so immovable as when his career depends on it.

A good testing ground for FSD. Having new cars drive themselves from the Factory to the dock, to the ship, and off the ship. Can one imagine the savings in labor alone.

Not to mention the free advertising it would generate! :) That would look insane - a whole boat load in syncronised emigration, like smooth flock of birds in the sky..or new born turtles on the beach scrambling for the sea?

Thanks for the link. I'd seen mention of the 7000, but not the original story. His source was very specific on timeline and, IMHO, wrong. It doesn't line up with Work in Progress Inventory or Panasonic's chart which showed 80k packs at most in Q3. But yeah, I agree there's no basis to assume 7k Q4 packs went to Shanghai.

As @ReflexFunds mentioned it in a prior discussion, it's consistent with an increase in "raw materials" inventory from $1,096m in Q2 to $1,284m in Q3.

I believe Tesla is accounting battery pack inventory as "raw materials" inventory, which moves into "work in process" when it's mated with a new car - and there's support for this in their 10-K.

The "raw materials" cycle is similarly long on the solar side of Tesla's business, where it's explicitly described that solar panels and other parts produced by Tesla are "component parts" not "work in process":

2018 10-K:

"Finished goods inventory included vehicles in transit to fulfill customer orders, new vehicles available for immediate sale at our retail and service center locations, used vehicles and energy storage products. During the year ended December 31, 2018, we made the decision to utilize some of our fleet cars as service loaners on a long-term basis. As a result, we reclassified $121.2 million of finished goods inventory to property, plant and equipment."

"For solar energy systems, leased and to be leased, we commence transferring component parts from inventory to construction in progress, a component of solar energy systems, leased and to be leased, once a lease contract with a customer has been executed and installation has been initiated. Additional costs incurred on the leased systems, including labor and overhead, are recorded within construction in progress."​

I.e. "component parts" are not work in process until assigned to a specific sales contract. It's pretty straightforward to assume that automotive "component parts" are not work in process either, until assigned to a specific new car.

This would be consistent with the treatment of automotive parts, which might be stored for years before used as a warranty or service replacement pack. I.e. "work in process" probably starts with the construction of a new car (when a VIN is assigned to a new car to be produced in Fremont), not with the labor invested in a sub assembly.

I.e. I don't think your argument that the rumored 7,000 battery packs have to be accounted as "work in process" has any basis.

I do agree with you that the 7,000 packs leak is unreliable, especially in the Q4 context. I find Carsonight's speculation about 3,000 of the 8,000 GF1 battery packs per week going to China unreliable as well.

Last edited:
Something about a man's ignorance is never so immovable as when his career depends on it.

Career driven ignorance about future disruption is often not even conscious: for example much of the hubris in the German automotive sector is basically the result of an echo chamber. They are good, but by far not invincible (as I'm sure @avoigt would agree) - which engineering superiority and invincibility many of them take as granted deep down.

Tesla more or less maxes out their Credit Line at the end of the quarter to show the largest possible cash balance. They pay it down as soon as the new quarter starts. They then finance their intra-quarter inventory build by drawing on the line, so if everything goes as planned their cash balance holds fairly steady at this lower level until the final weeks of the quarter when it shoots back up.

I think they broke this pattern in Q2'2019.

From the 10-Q here are the Q2 and Q3 unused cash balances from their China Loan Agreements:
  • Q2: unpaid Principal Balance: $27m
  • Q2: unused Committed Amount: $482m
  • Q3: unpaid Principal Balance: $219m
  • Q3: unused Committed Amount: $924m
That's $708m of cash Tesla didn't draw at the end of Q3, in these credit lines alone.

Shanghai capex doesn't require cash, but Model Y capex might tick up.

I quoted the Q3 10-Q where they attributed much of the Q3 capex cash outflow increase to Shanghai and Model Y:

In Q3 capital expenditures already ticked up from the Q2 level or $250m to $385m, which Tesla characterized this way in their Q3 update letter: "Capex increased sequentially due to investments in Gigafactory Shanghai and Model Y preparations in Fremont."​

Note that the China credit lines used amounts of $217m correspond roughly to the 2019 Shanghai capex so far. (I think @ReflexFunds agreed with that interpretation?)

They quickly negotiated an increase to the Credit Line to tide them over until they got deliveries cranked up. I'm confident they don't want a repeat and will keep a bigger buffer going forward.

Such as a $0.7b buffer in their China credit lines? :D

Last edited:
Jason Yang has his weekly update on GF3 out from Nov 29.

Nice closeup of the M3s produced
upload_2019-12-1_11-13-48.png

The factory was busy this day with around 30 trailers backed up to the factory (you can't see them all in this shot), suggesting the ramp is going well.
upload_2019-12-1_11-16-32.png

Buildings around the grid connection are still being finished. Although we have already heard that the factory is fully juiced.
upload_2019-12-1_11-17-57.png

Services plumbed into the battery building
upload_2019-12-1_11-21-21.png

No shortage of labour. 18 people on this one section of roof alone.
upload_2019-12-1_11-23-28.png

Real lawn. Surely a sign they're almost done
upload_2019-12-1_11-26-51.png

Just makes me proud when I see a video like that that I own a small piece of this company & likely will do so for the rest of my life. Huge challenges ahead of us regarding global climate change but Tesla is a tangible response to that which makes it evident our socioeconomic system is starting to rise to the challenge & will give us a chance as we scale up a new, greener economy.