Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMO Tesla not being more specific now about future battery replacement costs should not deter potential buyers once they learn about the warranty and how packs on high mileage Teslas are holding up. A conversation with a potential customer who asks about battery replacement cost might go like this.

Customer: How long will the battery pack last before I need to replace it and how much will it cost ?

Sales Rep: Many Teslas sold years ago have been driven over 300,000 miles and their battery packs have 75% or more of original capacity and are still going strong. Model 3 and Model Y battery packs are even better and will last even longer. Tesla battery packs are warrantied to have more than 70% of original capacity after 8 years, no matter how many miles you drive. Most owners may never need to replace the battery pack. Today the pack is about 20% the total cost of your car. But batteries cost less to make every year, so we expect a replacement pack 10 years from now should cost half or less what your original pack does today and have even greater range.

The "no matter how many miles you drive" part only applies to the Model S&X. The Model 3 has a limit of 100k/120k on the battery warranty. I don't think we know the warranty details for the Model Y, Roadster, or Cybertruck yet.

upload_2019-12-3_20-43-46.png

When I say bull run, I mean consistent year over year for 3-6 years straight of new highs and new trading ranges.

If you don't want to call it the "start of a bull run" until it breaks through old highs, that's fine with me. But I'm trying to load up at or near the bottom, not what you call "the start of a bull run". If you wait until it hits new highs it will already be over $380. By buying at the beginning of that run, at $180, you realize 200% of the capital gains compared to buying in at your definition of "the beginning of the bull run".

Personally, I think it's more than obvious that we are headed above $380 (new all-time highs) within a couple of months (barring a major market correction or Tesla news that is stunningly bad). Where you want to say it began is kinda meaningless. The market looks forward and it rewards those who look a little more forward yet with outsized gains.

Some long term thinking...
I looked up the number of cars currently in the UK: 32 million. If we have ANY chance whatsoever of fighting to keep climate change below 1.5 degrees, then its ESSENTIAL that transport globally moves to replace all existing cars with electric ones (not even considering trucks, bikes, buses etc).
To replace the UKs cars over a twenty year period (and we don't really have that long) means 1.5 million cars per year.
Tesla are currently only making about 350,000 cars a year...

To put it in plain language... even if every country on earth except the UK made it illegal to buy a tesla, they could still quadruple their current output, and keep going at the same rate for twenty years, just by doing what HAS to be done in the tiny little niche market we call the UK. Even assuming everyone is happy to keep each car for twenty years before upgrading.

Tesla is already stupidly undervalued for what they do NOW. I see the chances of them being four times the size in a few years to be overwhelming. I see, therefore the chances of the stock price quadrupling over the next few years pretty much a safe bet. I would not be surprised to see $500-600 by 2021.

It seems crazy to me that there are people currently buying, or holding shares in ford, GM, Exxon mobil. Talk about stranded assets. These companies are screwed.

It's surprising that manipulations hasn't been able to bring down the SP on such a bad Macro day ....

I do sense a lot of organic strength in TSLA recently but one should probably consider that some of this strength might be fuelled by shorts loading up with fresh ammunition for a big attack. Impossible to say which it is.

IMO Tesla not being more specific now about future battery replacement costs should not deter potential buyers once they learn about the warranty and how packs on high mileage Teslas are holding up. A conversation with a potential customer who asks about battery replacement cost might go like this.

Customer: How long will the battery pack last before I need to replace it and how much will it cost ?

Sales Rep: Many Teslas sold years ago have been driven over 300,000 miles and their battery packs have 75% or more of original capacity and are still going strong. Model 3 and Model Y battery packs are even better and will last even longer. Tesla battery packs are warrantied to have more than 70% of original capacity after 8 years, no matter how many miles you drive. Most owners may never need to replace the battery pack. Today the pack is about 20% the total cost of your car. But batteries cost less to make every year, so we expect a replacement pack 10 years from now should cost half or less what your original pack does today and have even greater range.
I'm running at about 25k miles a year so I'll hit my warranty at year 4. I'm not expecting my pack to blow up and I'm pretty optimistic about it, but it's an unknown. I know how much a new engine would cost in an ICE vehicle. It is worth noting too that in an ICE car I can go to any shop for a rebuild, or buy a crate engine from the manufacturer, or possibly a rebuilt engine from Jasper. With Tesla, it's whatever they want to charge me.

• Helpful
Reactions: Doggydogworld

Mostly, but she couldn't resist this little dig:

"If Tesla could begin Model Y deliveries in the first-quarter of 2020, that would be a full season ahead of CEO Elon Musk’s promised schedule. Early production and deliveries would be a symbolic win for the company, which has often failed to meet self-imposed delivery deadlines."

She must be feeling unwell or she would have written "consistently failed"...

No.

For every degree the pack warms up, the battery that is twice as large will provide twice the ability to absorb regen power. (Voltage is constant in both scenarios, the current the battery must accommodate is a smaller fraction as a compared to it's power delivery/acceptance capability the larger the battery)

Thus while the larger battery warms up at half the rate, it provides twice the regen capability at any given temperature up to it's max, and the curves end up (roughly) equal.

Simple physics indeed.

Assuming you are no longer standing by your earlier assertion that "usage needs" = "daily driving" needs, then I don't disagree.

However, When you factor in the needs of many:

-Need to drive in the cold, resulting in 30-50% greater energy usage
-Need to tow: 50-100% greater energy usage
-Need to mount a roof rack/box: ~20% range hit
-Need to account for elevation change
-Need to accommodate headwinds
-Need to drive through snow/slush/heavy rain
-Need to use the cabin heater significantly
-etc...

Then the scenario changes. Especially if you face more than one of these factors in a single trip. These may not be daily needs, but they are regular needs. Today's 300-400 mile EV range packs are great strides. But wanting 500+ mile range packs, which will do 200 in reality for the family vacation up the mountain through the snow in sub-freezing weather with the ski-rack on top will be welcome....
I'm now in my second winter in upstate NY with my Model 3 LR and have a better appreciation for buying as much range as you can afford. I've had a few close calls that as time goes on, I become more and more conservative as the edge cases you describe above, rob me of more range than I expect. Enough so that I will most likely upgrade my CT deposit to the tri-motor vs the dual. In 3 years, 300 miles may seem on the low end and I plan on using the CT as a truck, not a commuter vehicle.

The "no matter how many miles you drive" part only applies to the Model S&X. The Model 3 has a limit of 100k/120k on the battery warranty. I don't think we know the warranty details for the Model Y, Roadster, or Cybertruck yet.

The Model 3 warranty limit also exists in metric countries, my LR AWD comes with 160k km.

(Yes, it would infer less pain on others if users of an archaic unit system would actually use their units).

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: chiller and Lessmog
For the CyberTruck, I think it's conceivable that a substantial portion of actual battery usage may not be mileage related, as it may be used with providing 120/240 volt power and/or powering the air compressor or perhaps other functions we don't yet know. I wonder if Tesla may base their warranty for the CT battery on metered wattage used or something along those lines.

I'm running at about 25k miles a year so I'll hit my warranty at year 4. I'm not expecting my pack to blow up and I'm pretty optimistic about it, but it's an unknown. I know how much a new engine would cost in an ICE vehicle. It is worth noting too that in an ICE car I can go to any shop for a rebuild, or buy a crate engine from the manufacturer, or possibly a rebuilt engine from Jasper. With Tesla, it's whatever they want to charge me.

My 2010 Roadster has lost around 10% of the range from a standard charge and has been driven 45,000 miles. I think that is excellent given the batteries used and the comparatively primitive BMS. I wonder how sales reps answer when a client asks how much for a replacement pack? I bet that if it was found to be a real hindrance, Tesla should be confident enough in the battery cost declining 5 - 7% year after year to set a max replacement pack cost for each year after warranty expires. If a given pack size costs X now, commit to selling replacement packs Y% less than X each year going out. Not likely they'd ever lose a dollar on such a commitment, when they know their cells are going to go down even faster with battery innovations already in the pipeline.

THIS ..... in spades.
Look at Amazon's stock price from 2012 to 2014....seems to mirror Tesla from 2017 to 2019.
Now look what happened to Amazon's stock price once they started turning a profit. Now above 1,700/share
The best time to get into Amazon stock was 2014. The best time to get into Tesla stock is now.
Not advice....but.....
View attachment 484241

What’s scary here is that Tesla has less than 200 million shares outstanding, while amazon has 490 million shares outstanding. By this metric, Tesla should be double the price of amazon base on eps.

What’s crazier is that amazon’s margins is a thin 4-5%, while Tesla’s margins are 20%.

What’s craziest, is that we’re still sitting on $336 per share.