Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Continuing the Jack Rickard video (timeout for edits to the above):
  • Tug-of-war: "Well, I think they need to make Neil DeGrasse Tyson drive the Ford part." ;) "I'll spot him a Ford F-450. We had problems - problems that we ultimately solved in software - with motors destroying our drivetrain components. And the reason we had problems is because an internal combustion engine spinning up on a transmission engine or driveshaft takes 450 milliseconds. An electric motor takes 10 milliseconds. And we were noodling our driveshafts and breaking our transmissions, because they're not made to do that that quickly. And so we had to add software to spool them up, which encode looks like over a thousand years, to get them to ramp up at 200-300 milliseconds so we didn't snap stuff. You want a Ford F-450 4-wheel dualy with a Ford F-150 in the back... I don't care, I know how this comes out guys! And they aught to make Neil DeGrasse Tyson drive the Ford! As you say, physics is not a suggestion. It's not a recommendation. It just is."
  • "If you're thinking about driving a truck for pulling power, an internal combustion engine was always ludicrously misapplied as a powerplant. That's not what it does well. But an electric motor, they love being stalled. That's where they start at. And the main problem is to keep from snapping the axles. You actually have to deal with this in software, to keep from snapping the axles off. Because the physics from this can twist your driveshaft into spaghetti. It's a time function. It's force over time."
  • "In this case, I call out Neil DeGrasse Tyson for 'Typing Smart'."
  • "If the argument is that this one won because it's heavier... and? If so, what's wrong with that? You get worse mileage? And?"
  • Talking about storage compartments: "Now we're in the sprinkles! And frunks! What guy with a pickup had too much toolbox, didn't know what to put in it? You got too many toolboxes? No man ever said that. It's like a horse too fast, too much money, or too pretty of a wife - it's crazy talk. "Too much toolbox'? Put it in the front, in the back, I want them all over the place. I want to put stuff you're not even supposed to know about in the truck. She's certainly not supposed to know about in the truck! You can't have 'too much toolbox'! "
Okay, finally finished!

Jack is one of my favorite human beings

Urban Superchargers do not charge as fast as a V2 Supercharger and are to serve those people who live in apartments and have no other means of charging.

And yet they get called superchargers. My last trip I was routed to one instead of one of the several nearby superchargers. Because they can't charge by the kWh they split per minute at 60 kW and this thing was limited to 72 kW so from a billing perspective it was idea. For Tesla.

That said, I only paid for ~1 gallon of gas with the rest of the trip's energy coming from home charging at ~$0.08/kWh so it isn't like it was expensive, just annoying to charge for 15 minutes to get ~8 minutes of charging.

IMO Tesla shouldn't route to urban chargers for those on trips, but what do I know.

• Disagree
Reactions: SoGA Fan Club
One thing I've learned about that group of people - you can't say anything slightly positive about Tesla or Musk or even try to have a rational conversation concerning facts about Tesla (once they realize you aren't just going to blindly bash Tesla, regardless of what the facts say). Nope, they are way too emotional about their beliefs and agenda - so they get testy at the first mention of anything positive about Tesla/Musk. They only want to bash Tesla and make each other feel good about hating Tesla/Musk. For example, when I brought up the Euro NCAP safety ratings and how well Tesla did, one member of their squad quickly quipped - "that's because Tesla builds their cars for testing, not real world crashes" - they'll say anything to keep from having to admit Tesla does ANYTHING well, or even slightly well. But, TBH, that is typical human behavior. When I hang out with some of the other gentlemen in my neighborhood, and they begin discussing politics - I usually do my best to stay out of it. I've learned that they are not concerned with facts, but just feeling good about their beliefs and their guy. The times I've pointed out to them that some event or story was not true and I could show them the real information, they quickly let me know that I couldn't be in their circle if I was going to disrupt their circle j*** (I'm not sure if we're allowed to say that openly or not). They're comeback is usually something of little substance like, "I don't agree with that" - and accuse me of being on the other side.

I'm just so glad that this forum isn't like that.

Plus you're paragraphs are wayyyy too long for Twitter. ;)

I will need to see a photo of the driveway that is too steep for a Model 3 to negotiate before I can recommend a fix.

I negotiated a driveway that I was told was "too steep" for my model 3. Due to the warning I was very careful entering the first time, after that I just drove it normal. It would've been easy to bottom out, but it wouldn't happen with normal driving. I think some people are more conservative in their estimates.

Pre-model 3 I was driving down a road that was partially obstructed for construction. They weren't actually blocking it, but people were turning down side streets. Problem was, that would have taken me well out of my way. I went up and a worker stopped me. "You can't fit through there," he told me. "Sure I can," I responded. He shrugged and I drove through. The advantage of driving an econocar rather than an SUV.

Continuing the Jack Rickard video (timeout for edits to the above):
  • Tug-of-war: "Well, I think they need to make Neil DeGrasse Tyson drive the Ford part." ;) "I'll spot him a Ford F-450. We had problems - problems that we ultimately solved in software - with motors destroying our drivetrain components. And the reason we had problems is because an internal combustion engine spinning up on a transmission engine or driveshaft takes 450 milliseconds. An electric motor takes 10 milliseconds. And we were noodling our driveshafts and breaking our transmissions, because they're not made to do that that quickly. And so we had to add software to spool them up, which encode looks like over a thousand years, to get them to ramp up at 200-300 milliseconds so we didn't snap stuff. You want a Ford F-450 4-wheel dualy with a Ford F-150 in the back... I don't care, I know how this comes out guys! And they aught to make Neil DeGrasse Tyson drive the Ford! As you say, physics is not a suggestion. It's not a recommendation. It just is."
  • "If you're thinking about driving a truck for pulling power, an internal combustion engine was always ludicrously misapplied as a powerplant. That's not what it does well. But an electric motor, they love being stalled. That's where they start at. And the main problem is to keep from snapping the axles. You actually have to deal with this in software, to keep from snapping the axles off. Because the physics from this can twist your driveshaft into spaghetti. It's a time function. It's force over time."
  • "In this case, I call out Neil DeGrasse Tyson for 'Typing Smart'."
  • "If the argument is that this one won because it's heavier... and? If so, what's wrong with that? You get worse mileage? And?"
  • Talking about storage compartments: "Now we're in the sprinkles! And frunks! What guy with a pickup had too much toolbox, didn't know what to put in it? You got too many toolboxes? No man ever said that. It's like a horse too fast, too much money, or too pretty of a wife - it's crazy talk. "Too much toolbox'? Put it in the front, in the back, I want them all over the place. I want to put stuff you're not even supposed to know about in the truck. She's certainly not supposed to know about in the truck! You can't have 'too much toolbox'! "
Okay, finally finished!

I'm glad he took Neil DeGrasse Tyson apart on that. Tyson took all of the talking points about how being a better hauler didn't count because it was a better hauler. Its like complaining that Usain Bolt beating a quarter back in a sprint doesn't count because Usain is faster and for a fair comparison you need to bulk Usain up to the quarterback's musculature. (Difference exaggerated, but for effect -- this silly stuff annoys me just like all of the other goalpost moving)

experiment.png

Because Tesla doesn't make 25k cars a week? If Tesla delievers 90k+ cars in December then there's something massively wrong with logistics the other two months.
Stupid round world!

On a good note about logistics, Glovis Sirius is about to dock. That leaves 4 ships on the water and all but one will dock in the next week and the last ship will be arrive in Zeebrudge by the 17th. Earlier shipments this quarter out of SFO seems to be paying off, with less stock on the water. Seems like an execution win at this point. Deliveries in Norway, Netherlands and Spain are 2 weeks ahead of last quarter. If USA delivers close to Troy's target, they should beat the 83,000 we are targeting, where 83~104.

Reactions: Esme Es Mejor
Ugh - Please delete this post after reading. It's pretty well off topic anyway.

Elon Musk testifies... by Lora Kolodny
The clash between Musk and Unsworth began in the summer of 2018. Unsworth, who is a spelunker and expert diver, led the rescue of 12 boys and their soccer coach from a flooded cave in Thailand then.

Before the rescue was completed, Musk had endeavored to involve himself, and employees from his companies SpaceX and Tesla, in the rescue. They created a rescue pod, or miniature submersible, that ultimately proved of no use in the rescue effort.

As CNBC previously reported, Musk and his team pressured Thai officials to make favorable public statements about their involvement, while the rescue was still in progress and the boys’ lives were at risk...

Well, when you put it that way

Last edited:
If those few Tesla are left behind from the shipment, does that mean they're fair game? If so, I think I can get a plane ticket and make a visit before the 31st. You know. Help the EOQ delivery numbers. ;-)

They are destined for the Island of Misfit Tesla Owners. You know, Iceland... ;)

One thing I've learned about that group of people - you can't say anything slightly positive about Tesla or Musk or even try to have a rational conversation concerning facts about Tesla (once they realize you aren't just going to blindly bash Tesla, regardless of what the facts say). Nope, they are way too emotional about their beliefs and agenda - so they get testy at the first mention of anything positive about Tesla/Musk. They only want to bash Tesla and make each other feel good about hating Tesla/Musk. For example, when I brought up the Euro NCAP safety ratings and how well Tesla did, one member of their squad quickly quipped - "that's because Tesla builds their cars for testing, not real world crashes" - they'll say anything to keep from having to admit Tesla does ANYTHING well, or even slightly well.

But, TBH, that is typical human behavior. When I hang out with some of the other gentlemen in my neighborhood, and they begin discussing politics - I usually do my best to stay out of it. I've learned that they are not concerned with facts, but just feeling good about their beliefs and their guy. The times I've pointed out to them that some event or story was not true and I could show them the real information, they quickly let me know that I couldn't be in their circle if I was going to disrupt their circle j*** (I'm not sure if we're allowed to say that openly or not). Their comeback is usually something of little substance like, "I don't agree with that" - and accuse me of being on the other side.

I'm just so glad this forum isn't like that.

people on this forum don’t bash you for saying negative things about tesla. They bash you getting facts dead wrong, and then crying like a baby over disagrees.

I love that the CNBC interview of LG & GM CEOs quickly turned into an exercise in morning for anti-Tesla quotes.

GM and LG JV on Ohio battery factory reported on CNBC moments ago, with GM and LG CEO giving shorts hope, pushing SP down. Just happened so no video yet unless watched live.

Surely other players investing big on battery production only serves to prove that BEVs are the future.

Added the fact that Tesla has a 5-year head-start as well as it's own proprietary chemistry, which is already better than the rest, well it only underlines Tesla's dominance.