Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Numbers for European registrations in November are in (only Portugal missing which might add another 100):
  • 8,921 Teslas registered
  • Best 2nd month of quarter ever (previous best was Aug 2019 at 6544)
  • Total for Q4 after 2 months: 11,082
  • Q3 after 2 months was 10,934, so pretty much the same so far (because Oct was weaker than July)
Source: out wiki, see my footer

Also, the live registratioin data we have for NL, NO, ES have picked up pace again after having slowed for a bit:

Screenshot 2019-12-05 at 17.29.57.png

Source: EV registration statistics for The Netherlands, Norway and Spain

Of the coverage of the trial that I think has been the most fair to both sides and to the legal questions, I think Elizabeth Lopatto's would take the prize. Here's her latest piece. I highlighted a bit about the background; I'm glad Musk's team introduced this stuff.

Caver Unsworth testifies he felt ‘dirtied’ by Musk’s ‘pedo guy’ tweet

upload_2019-12-5_16-32-46.png

Also:

upload_2019-12-5_16-36-9.png

She of course goes onto Unsworth's emotional reaction during testimony. I wouldn't be surprised if undermining that as putting on a show will be a major focus of Elon's team today.

Stupid round world!

On a good note about logistics, Glovis Sirius is about to dock. That leaves 4 ships on the water and all but one will dock in the next week and the last ship will be arrive in Zeebrudge by the 17th. Earlier shipments this quarter out of SFO seems to be paying off, with less stock on the water. Seems like an execution win at this point. Deliveries in Norway, Netherlands and Spain are 2 weeks ahead of last quarter. If USA delivers close to Troy's target, they should beat the 83,000 we are targeting, where 83~104.

I feel as though many of *us* simply aren’t understanding the 83,000 consensus and why we want to stick to that and tell the world. Such short memories. *sigh*

They still think this is the very early stage of the transition. They don't get the fact that Tesla (and Rivian to a certain extent) will be crossing the finish line before they're done lacing up their running shoes.

GM won't waste any time lacing up running shoes (they don't have any running shoes and they cost too much anyway). They intend to enter the race in wooden clogs. They feel this is the best way to impress their Dutch fans.;)

Of the coverage of the trial that I think has been the most fair to both sides and to the legal questions, I think Elizabeth Lopatto's would take the prize. Here's her latest piece. I highlighted a bit about the background; I'm glad Musk's team introduced this stuff.

Caver Unsworth testifies he felt ‘dirtied’ by Musk’s ‘pedo guy’ tweet

View attachment 484966

Also:

View attachment 484969

She of course goes onto Unsworth's emotional reaction during testimony. I wouldn't be surprised if undermining that as putting on a show will be a major focus of Elon's team today.

I would not call that article unbiased. It paints Unsworth as a martyr verbally abused by the big bad wolf Musk, and even though it talks about the famous CNN interview of Unsworth which started the whole "fight" between the 2 men, it completely fails to mention that Unsworth told Musk to shove the sub up his butt. Avoiding to mention the primary reason that triggered the response tweet, that is the subject of the whole suit is kind of a major omission IMHO.

I think you might be missing that the increased weight from a larger battery results in less range per kWh in that battery.

I was only arguing on the base of production CO2 footprint, that is true. However, during production AFAIK the battery dominates the CO2 footprint, while it is only about 1/4 of the weight of the car and the weight does not even factor in linearly in the Wh/mi or CO2 output from driving, because air drag is the larger contributor.

Actually, too many variables/assumptions necessary to do this as back of an envelope - city driving vs. highway, how long does the car live, what part of the production CO2 goes into the car vs. the battery.

My point was only that saying a larger battery makes CO2 footprint worse while assuming the same miles till end-of-life of the car for small and large battery does not make sense.

• Helpful
Reactions: humbaba
I would not call that article unbiased. It paints Unsworth as a martyr verbally abused by the big bad wolf Musk, and even though it talks about the famous CNN interview of Unsworth which started the whole "fight" between the 2 men, it completely fails to mention that Unsworth told Musk to shove the sub up his butt. Avoiding to mention the primary reason that triggered the response tweet that is the subject of the whole suit kind of a major omition IMHO.

Compared to literally every other article I've seen on the topic, it's a paragon of impartiality. :Þ

No, this is commonly mis spoken. Tesla released some patented related to the skateboard design and some of the original battery related patents. Tesla hasn't done the same for a number of years in terms of their IP.

Also it was stated in the terms of that original IP that they opened up to anyone that if a company were to use those patented things Tesla could then use their IP. Which is pretty much why we're seeing cars from traditional auto makers that still cant match 2012 model s specs

Although pondered in the Q3 CC, taking the route to licencing and selling tech to other companies, still seems far from Elon's main strategy to achieve sustainable transport and energy (not saying it shouldn't be). I'm still chewing on what Elon dropped in Q2 CC about master plan 3 and battery investment day:

"To some degree, the Battery Day will be kind of like master plan part 3, which is like, okay, how we get from kind of in the tens of gigawatt-hours per year to multiple terawatt-hours per year. That’s a pretty giant-scale increase. And so yes, it’s an increase of sort of roughly 100. Like if we’re at 28 gigawatt-hours right now — well, actually, there is more than that when you count the factories in Japan. So call it like a little over 30 to 35 or something like that. And how do we get to like two terawatt-hours a year?”

• Informative
Reactions: SunCatcher
As in ‘Bambi smells money’?

I have no idea whether he was genuine, but juries are typically pretty good at sensing that. Yes, a skilled fraudster could fake it convincingly, but I have no way of knowing whether Unsworth is that.

Elon's team will I think play a video (?) testimony from Unsworth's ex wife today - the wife and daughter he abandoned for his new partner in Thailand.

We'll see.

What's going on with the Flash sale of TSLA? News I didn't catch, or just a particularly aggressive MMD?
idk but I bought 5 more at 330.33

Interesting holiday season for TSLA. I figure if SP hasn't already been bloodied up this month, it probably isn't going to happen at all.
TSLA fever has caught on everywhere; just got back from a trip to Seattle and since I wore a pirated TSLA sweatshirt most places, the conversations started themselves, and everybody gets it now. Assuming the entire economy doesn't tank, I don't see why SP won't double in the next year.

I have no idea whether he was genuine, but juries are typically pretty good at sensing that. Yes, a skilled fraudster could fake it convincingly, but I have no way of knowing whether Unsworth is that.

Elon's team will I think play a video (?) testimony from Unsworth's ex wife today - the wife and daughter he abandoned for his new partner in Thailand.

We'll see.
Are we sure that's going to be a positive? Was it Elon's team that called her? Because, whatever the truth might be, I would guess that she could make some money too out of the situation, via Unsworth.

OT :

"I thought he was some random ex-pat guy".

It's fascinating what term is used "expat" vs "immigrant".

Why are white people expats when the rest of us are immigrants?

I'm not sure that hypothesis is correct. People call Elon an immigrant from South Africa rather than an ex-pat from South Africa.

Seems not to be a white thing, but rather a "Brits and Americans who move overseas but never assimilate" thing, being with the term being spoken by other Brits and Americans. I could even picture an African-American who moves to Russia being referred to as an ex-pat. But not a snow-white-skinned Russian moving to the US; I picture them being referred to as a "Russian immigrant", not a "Russian ex-pat".