Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for the link. Jack’s videos are great and informative, but I find his arrogance off putting.

1). He uses the perjorative term Tesla fanboys. What the hell? Tell me how any rational human who cares about the environment and civilization itself, would not be a huge fan of Tesla.

2) Arrogance makes being wrong more embarrassing. He stated an EV Pickup would have nearly the same range drop-off when towing, because physics... In actuality towing with a gas pickup puts the ICE under high load at lower RPM which is a more efficient regime of operation, so unfortunately an EV Pickup will incur a larger range hit when towing, than a gas pickup. So yes physics does always apply, but it is sometimes more complex than is readily apparent. A mistake anyone can make, but his certitude makes any mistakes seem worse. Of course, I could be wrong:)

Jack knows quite a lot about a number of subjects, but not as much has he thinks he does. Most of his videos contain some serious misinformation, often about Tesla, but people who don't know better can't tell. As you might guess he doesn't take well to being corrected.

Thanks for the link. Jack’s videos are great and informative, but I find his arrogance off putting.

1). He uses the perjorative term Tesla fanboys. What the hell? Tell me how any rational human who cares about the environment and civilization itself, would not be a huge fan of Tesla.

2) Arrogance makes being wrong more embarrassing. He stated an EV Pickup would have nearly the same range drop-off when towing, because physics... In actuality towing with a gas pickup puts the ICE under high load at lower RPM which is a more efficient regime of operation, so unfortunately an EV Pickup will incur a larger range hit when towing, than a gas pickup. So yes physics does always apply, but it is sometimes more complex than is readily apparent. A mistake anyone can make, but his certitude makes any mistakes seem worse. Of course, I could be wrong:)
Yeah his videos are pretty fair, but IDK why he has this anger towards "tesla fanboys".

Reactions: kbM3 and SpaceCash
Another point which always seems to be missed besides the 'shove it where it hurts' quip, was that Unsworth initially attacked Musk's character that he was only doing it for PR. I don't think this is true at all, so here is Unsworth - a public figure after the cave rescue with an interview on CNN making false statements about Musk's character. Couldn't Musk be the one to sue Unsworth for exactly what Unsworth is trying to sue Musk for?

Yes, this implies musk enjoys sodomy. Same type of accussation as one's sexual partner age preference. BTW did you see tge age gap between unsworth and his partner? At first, I thought ok, maybe unsworth is upstanding. But seeing the pic of the two together, I was instantly reminded of scenes I saw in Thai's go go bars.

Didn't they have some UAW agreements recently that no EVs allowed, because they mean less jobs?
It looked like UAW said opposite things to GM & Ford.

Seems to me UAW thinks companies will use the excuse of EVs to cut jobs. So they are happy when the jobs are actually expanded (as in this new battery plant or Ford making new EV vehicles).

GM has to be a bit nervous about Tesla’s Model Y demand. Once it’s released, especially for the starting price of under $40k, GM’s SUV unit may have to provide buyers with steep discounts like the IPACE is doing now just to push units through the door.
Has there been any good report on the impact of Model 3 on other cars ? Something that takes into account the ongoing change in preference moving away from cars to CUVs, rather than simple comparison of car sales from years past ...

I think more than GM - Lexus, BMW, Merc, Infiniti CUVs would be affected. Model Y is more likely to replace the compact SUVs from Japanese and German autos, rather than Detroit. Detroit will be hit when Tesla brings out CT.

• Disagree
Reactions: SoGA Fan Club
Wow. Surprisingly positive article. I'm sure the FUD won't stop, but I think we are seeing a shift in perception, or at least in coverage.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/tech...e-becoming-relic-past-electric-suvs-are-rise/
Nelson’s CFRA analysis said the electric vehicle push stands to benefit some automakers more than others. Despite the surge in new electric models, the report said, the new battery-powered cars won’t meaningfully add to sales or profitability for any of the companies other than Tesla. Still, by 2030, electric vehicles are expected to make up half of Volvo’s U.S. sales, a quarter of Mercedes and Volkswagen’s, and a fifth of BMW’s, according to the report.

Nelson’s CFRA analysis said the electric vehicle push stands to benefit some automakers more than others. Despite the surge in new electric models, the report said, the new battery-powered cars won’t meaningfully add to sales or profitability for any of the companies other than Tesla. Still, by 2030, electric vehicles are expected to make up half of Volvo’s U.S. sales, a quarter of Mercedes and Volkswagen’s, and a fifth of BMW’s, according to the report.

That makes sense. Traditional OEMs are not going to sell more than they are selling now by producing EVs. They can only stop losing sales - as ICE buyers switch to EVs.

There is some possibility of breaking brand royalties and gaining market share if one of the OEMs can make much better EVs than others and good price. But that looks unlikely - after Nissan & GMs efforts.

See the dramatic impact in California due to Model 3 entry
upload_2019-12-5_11-19-23.png

Wow. Camry alone has sold (72k-49k=23k fewer) about 30% fewer over the two years, and yet their share of the category that doesn't include any Teslas has gone up! That can only be because many of those buyers have moved up to the "near luxury" class.

Edit: and BMW 3 has lost significantly more sales (percentage wise).

Conclusion: no demand problem for Model 3.

That WaPo article makes me bullish AF. Just look at the last two paragraphs:

"...Instead, he says he’s been thinking about ditching the three-pointed star on his grille and doing what was once unthinkable for a man of his Italian sensibilities: buying an American car. Specifically, a Tesla Model 3.

“It’s very ‘now,’ ” said Messina, a 34-year-old Alhambra, Calif., resident who works as a contractor in the hotel business. “I feel like everywhere I turn, I see Tesla.’ ”"

Just another example of the fact that there has absolutely been a change in the tenor of the average Tesla article.

Folks, buckle up.

See the dramatic impact in California due to Model 3 entry
View attachment 485045
Yes, we see sedan sales decreasing. So is overall sales. But CUV sales are increasing.

So, we don't know overall whether sedan sales decrease is because of Model 3 - or because of overall decreasing sales or switch to CUV. May be they all have some impact - that is why I was asking if there is any statistical analysis on this.

Yes, this implies musk enjoys sodomy. Same type of accussation as one's sexual partner age preference. BTW did you see tge age gap between unsworth and his partner? At first, I thought ok, maybe unsworth is upstanding. But seeing the pic of the two together, I was instantly reminded of scenes I saw in Thai's go go bars.

It would be funny if Elon would counter-sue Unsworth. Considering the TSLA stock price drop, it would be much easier for him to prove actual damages suffered ;)