Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry, I'm not knowledgeable enough to answer your questions. However, regardless if you are trading stock and LEAPS from a non IRA or IRA account, the company you have those accounts with should have the knowledge to answer most or all of your questions.
Thanks for taking the time. I assumed that everyone except me already knows this stuff.

I thought the Chinese New Year red envelopes are usually token amounts: $100-$200? Is this different in the Chinese upper-middle class?

You get bigger amounts if your family is richer frim your immediate family. Which means parents and grandparents. 6 in total with the one child policy.

Tge token amount is for more distant family members as a token.

He qualified that with "if the Cybertruck didn't sell well". Two things seem apparent at this time: It's going to sell like gangbusters and its looks have made every other light truck design so last century.
You are missing the point. Tell us why Tesla continues to make Cybertruck in 5+ years if they have a new process that makes a better truck for less money? There might be reasons. Spare legacy capacity? Perhaps. But 'Cyber' won't be Tesla's mainstream manufacturing technology used for the next generation of products post-2024.

I am not arguing that Cybertruck isn't a necessary step. It is, because it accelerates taking the most polluting vehicles in America off the road by 5 years. I'm just saying 'Cyber' is not the LAST step. Look ahead!

Cheers!

• Helpful
Reactions: capster and humbaba
Deutsche Bank (DB) published their takeaways from their AutoTech Conference in SF on Tuesday. Martin Viecha represented Tesla. Other OEM’s in attendance were Ford and GM.

Tesla Takeaways:

In China, Tesla is waiting for final governmental approvals so deliveries can begin. DB thinks these approvals may be related to Tesla being exempt from purchase tax. This may push deliveries to January. DB points out that the timing of deliveries could help/hurt overall margins. Tesla would not have to recognize the related costs if they don’t deliver any MIC cars, though margins would suffer if they were to deliver before year-end due to the absorption of very high fixed costs.

Tesla recently began delivering in South Korea. Tesla believes that South Korea could potentially be a bigger market than Norway due to the large subsidies. The ASP starts at roughly $27k in the country.

Tesla explained why accounts receivables has been elevated in recent quarters. It is due to a large gap in timing between vehicle delivery and cash collection from European banks. The gap in Europe is 28 days, China is 7 and US is 3. Due to the large increase of Model 3 sales in Europe this year, A/R has jumped up.

Non-Tesla Specific Takeaways:

There was a lot of buzz at previous AutoTech conferences on fully autonomous cars. This year, the conference confirmed that the tech (Level 4/5) is most likely further away. The focus in the next few years will be the quick adoption of Level 2+ products.

DB is projecting an EV share in the teens by 2025 and over 25% by 2030. They believe that the companies that attended largely share these projections.

Many ICE cars come with remote start capability from the factory and it can usually be added as a third party feature if it doesn't. My little Nissan Rogue Sport has it, but it sits outside while the EVs are in the garage. So, it could certainly happen. Takes a couple button presses on the remote and to hold one of the buttons for a few seconds, so it wouldn't be triggered just casually. Not sure why the car would have rolled though. The remote start should only work if the car is in park.

There was an article recently where an older person forgot to hit the "stop" button to shut the engine off when getting home and died of CO poisoning.
How can CO sensor/shutoffs not be required for all ICE cars?

I put my $100 on the Cybertruck because of Cybertruck robotaxi. My price for FSD is now locked in. What if Tesla ok's the cybertruck as a robotaxi. Wouldn't the truck be worth a lot more? There has to be a catch somewhere. At some point I will probably want my money back. My guess is Elon will not allow the cybertruck to be a robotaxi. In that case I would just get my $100 back.

Good idea. You just inspired me to do the same.

I agree that the reservation number is RN-113,16x,xxx. Considering that the 'offset' between posted RN's and the actual order rate is constant:

EKNGlJbX0AAyYqR
Which offset was caused by the order system overload technical difficulties in the first couple of hours, resulting in duplicate orders and cancellation - that offset has not grown over the several days of time-span that Elon disclosed Cybertruck order levels.

The first reported order number was RN-112,745,000 about 5 minutes into the order process. The "offset" in the graph above is 30,000 ± 1,000, which means:

113,160,000 - 112,745,000 - 30,000 = 385,000 Cybertruck pre-orders on 2019/12/12

With better than ±5k units of statistical confidence I believe. Even with a slower new order rate we should hit 400k Cybertruck pre-orders within a couple of days I believe.

My reservation number is indeed RN113,16x,xxx.

How about some predictions, anybody wants to volunteer? Just for fun.
1. Tim Seymour's covering PT is reached - when
2. Max SP before delivery numbers are announced.
3. Max SP the next day
4. Today's close - you have to guess a precise number (between 358 and 360)
5. Same for tomorrow.

Reactions: lklundin
Yeah, read Tesla patent on the giant casting machine. They think eventually they can do an entire unibody as one injection-molded part. The result will be lighter, stonger vehicle that's cheaper and faster to produce, even compared to flat-plate cold-rolled stainless steel, and it will have none of its design limitations imposed by machining/forming. I have no doubt that this is where they're headed. It'll just take time to get to develop die cast metal foam manufacturing tech. Maybe 5+ yrs? In the mean time: Cybertruck. :D

View attachment 487466

Elon he talked about the machine that makes the machine years ago. Months ago, he talked about ramping production to 20M per year. That's more than VW & Toyota combined. You don't get there without thinking outside the box.

Cyber has its place, but its not the destination. Its a means to an end.

Cheers!
The machine that makes the machine-- that is probably why they placed GF4 near Berlin,
The Street - today:

Tesla discussion begins at the 4:43 minute mark.

From Cramer's recent video, it appears some banks or institutions with money want in on the next GF(s) funding, because GF was proven in Shanghai, and tesla has recently said, need to have local factories for streamlined distribution.

You are missing the point. Tell us why Tesla continues to make Cybertruck in 5+ years if they have a new process that makes a better truck for less money? There might be reasons. Spare legacy capacity? Perhaps. But 'Cyber' won't be Tesla's mainstream manufacturing technology used for the next generation of products post-2024.

I am not arguing that Cybertruck isn't a necessary step. It is, because it accelerates taking the most polluting vehicles in America off the road by 5 years. I'm just saying 'Cyber' is not the LAST step. Look ahead!

Cheers!
I don't disagree, but my guess is that trucks in the future will be angular rather than curved regardless of process.

• Helpful
Reactions: Artful Dodger
How about some predictions, anybody wants to volunteer? Just for fun.
1. Tim Seymour's covering PT is reached - when

Never - we will find out he lied about being short and then had to keep the charade alive.;)

4. Today's close - you have to guess a precise number (between 358 and 360)

5. Same for tomorrow.

What the heck! Why would you try to limit us to a $2 spread? Are you implying TSLA is so predictable you already know where it will close (within $2)?