Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
LMAO someone recently here posted the Anton Wahlman article from 2009 listing advantages of a Blackberry device to the iPhone, and I just caught this in it, and I believe it more than speaks for itself (I will highlight the best part in BOLD):

"3. Most Blackberries have keyboards, so you can actually type fast and with no errors. Helps while driving"

I didn't add that. It is in the article verbatim.

Shrug? On the other hand, year end Required Minimum Distributions definitely are. I'm trying to make mine the least number of shares possible.

Quote the crow: call call, call call.

Summary post for the potential EV credit bill which is being pointed to as a cause of the spike, thanks to @Karen and @SW2Fiddler for input:
Green Act EV Proposal Discussion[/QU
Shrug? On the other hand, year end Required Minimum Distributions definitely are. I'm trying to make mine the least number of shares possible.

Quote the crow: call call, call call.

Summary post for the potential EV credit bill which is being pointed to as a cause of the spike, thanks to @Karen and @SW2Fiddler for input:
Green Act EV Proposal Discussion

Watch them figure out a way to not include tax credits on Tesla cars. They already have 250,000 orders for the cybertruck with ZERO tax credits predicted.

• Disagree
Reactions: StealthP3D
LMAO someone recently here posted the Anton Wahlman article from 2009 listing advantages of a Blackberry device to the iPhone, and I just caught this in it, and I believe it more than speaks for itself (I will highlight the best part in BOLD):

"3. Most Blackberries have keyboards, so you can actually type fast and with no errors. Helps while driving"

I didn't add that. It is in the article verbatim.
Anton Wahlman, circa 1905: "Most horses respond to verbal commands, which makes it so much easier to steer and stop them. Not like these newfangled contraptions that force one to use their hands and legs all the time!"

As discussed when I introduced this topic, to Tesla it's about:
  • Increasing the ASP for the first 400k. People get their cars for $7,5k cheaper. Tesla can postpone any planned price cuts, and people will buy more options, which Tesla can also charge more for if they choose to, or delay deliveries on less profitable vehicles to encourage upsell, or only offer new range/performance improvements over the course of the year to higher-end vehicles, or whatnot.
  • The structure of the credit does not incentivize "having production capacity immediately surge up". It incentivizes having production capacity surge starting in the quarter that you hit your +400k limit. So if Tesla holds it at just under 400k US sales by, say, the end of Q1 '20, then Tesla wants production to surge in Q2 '20. That's plenty of time to really ramp up production.

firstly, wow, look at that price ; )

now,

While I agree that in the near term it will look positive for Tesla, my comment was about the long term.

If this goes through as written, the 15 or so global automakers dragging their feet on EVs (and add in any Chinese that successfully win US consumers confidence in a few years) will by and large get 600k+ vehicles each to sell at a $7k head start discounted price to Tesla by continuing to drag their feet until 2022 or so when Tesla has run through its credits. That's roughly 9+ million vehicles in aggregate (I realize some have already sold some EVs, and will sell some more the next two years... so call it roughly 8.5-9 million vehicles in aggregate).

This has the moral hazards of both,

1) incentivizing the rest of the global automakers to further stall on entering the US market in a significant way (to avoid effectively having to head to head offer their vehicles as a value proposition vs. a Tesla and wait for a $7-7.5k head start vs. Tesla)

2) setting up the one company that by far did the most of what was the intended behavior of all this legislation... accelerating the transition to EVs (also, literally Tesla's mission as we know)... to face a few years where roughly 9 million vehicles will get a $7-7.5k pricing head start vs. Tesla's vehicles, all for having stalled on doing the behavior that the legislation was meant to accelerate. I don't think Tesla would have had an issue with roughly 3 million vehicles getting this advantage from today for about the next 3-5 years... but 9 million vehicles starting in 2022 could quite materially effect Tesla's US profit margins for several years. If FSD is done and real, that could well be used to mitigate this.

ATH...for my brokerage account. :)

Ditto. I'm within 2% of my stretch goal by next quarter. (Correction, 1% now.)

Get this.... in just 15 min, SRP will "Turn On" my solar so I can start charging these Powerwalls. Max tax credit, check!

And who's got their own Tesla Energy Hard Hat, right? (Ya never know what could drop from orbit when I'm out hosing off the panels). I just had to have one - $40K.

20191106_164951.jpg

IMHO, we see these surges in TSLA because of pent up demand in the stock after being held artificially low for so long (and we're still not at par). This is the backfire from our shorty friends who help to fuel the movement in favor of clean energy - the very thing they're trying to delay.

Thanks TSLAQ and the rest... your efforts may have delayed some Tesla sales for a few folks. Although this had no effect on Tesla demand or sales, the battle response may have triggered an even bigger push now (more than anyone expected today, right?).

Expect more days like this in the next 6 months... just sayin'.