Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Who knows what FB will try and do in the next 5 years, but I don’t see them growing 10x in that time with the current regulatory climate changing.

Could Tesla grow 10x in the next 5 years? Maybe, but it depends on how deep the next recession is and whether energy prices rise or fall during that time. I would not bet against it.

Completely agree - I think it's an interesting market sizing question. It calls into effect the general impression of intrinsic value created by each company, their relative scale, and perceived by its investors at that moment.

The perception when Tesla first launched out the Model 3 was one of question marks about scale. They solved that, but the stock hasn't risen alongside the growth of revenue since 2017. Meanwhile, Facebook's influence has largely disrupted modern society's communications over a 5 year span and been the subject of much debate over the last 2 years (growing from ~$250B to ~$500B in market cap now).

With the Paris Climate Accord starting in ~2 weeks on 1/2020...there's a lot of talk that's going to occur about climate change more than we already see now, I think.

Reactions: Lessmog
Barron's - 21 minutes ago: Tesla Stock Is Cheap — at Least Compared With Saudi Aramco

"He argues that if Tesla can break $410, then it could trade up to $550."

if you're short Tesla, this has to be a fun read:

Now the hard part: arguing that Tesla is cheap. By most measures, it isn’t. Tesla stock (TSLA) trades at 2.8 times forward sales, to the S&P 500’s 2.3 times, and it isn’t expected to turn a profit so it doesn’t have a forward price/earnings ratio. But using the same methodology Zimmermann used on Saudi Aramco, Tesla doesn’t look nearly as overvalued. As of Dec. 13, Tesla had a market cap of $65 billion, well below that of Toyota Motor’s (TM) $250 billion and Volkswagen’s $100 or so billion, though it is worth more than General Motors (GM), which has a $51 billion market cap, and Ford Motor (F), which has a $37 billion cap. “Tesla is ‘only’ the third largest auto maker by market cap,” Zimmermann writes. “Aramco makes Tesla look dirt cheap.”
We might scoff at such an assertion—can’t they both be too expensive?—but Zimmermann apparently sees more potential upside for Tesla. He argues that if Tesla can break $410, then it could trade up to $550. With Tesla stock up 6.4% to $381.42 at 2:08 p.m. Monday, that implies a 44% gain.

Last edited:

Very well thought out video clearly explaining reasons to invest in Tesla and to a smaller degree, Amazon and Alphabet.

I liked some of his other videos, but this one I did not. He kinda just mentions a couple of broad things that are in the DNA of Tesla, Amazon, and Alphabet, but most people should already know about them. I would've much preferred him to explain why he thinks Amazon is a good investment at a P/E Ratio of ~80, because I don't know much about Amazon's business.

WHY sell
I am not selling anything for at least a year barring hypothetical small sales for life expenses

10 years here! Aiming for another ~25x SP increase from current price at least. More if Tesla Network is a big success.

upload_2019-12-16_19-6-56.png

Yes seeing it also

• Informative
Reactions: wipster
It's getting crazy over here. I live in Amsterdam and the place is literally getting "swamped" with new Tesla's. My street alone has gotten a few more in the past week and December is just half way through. Even though tax benefits get a big cut starting jan 1st, I think the impact of so many new owners spreading the word is going to be huge for 2020

My dad lives in a smaller Dutch city with ~50k population. He's mentioned to me that in the last two weeks, his street went from 1 Model 3, to 4 Model 3s!

When do most margin calls start having impact?
My guess is it depends on how much equity each particular short had against their Tesla short.
If they had 95% of money long in other stocks and 5% short Tesla, then they can endure a long time.

However, if they were religious about it like some of those Q types that block all the good news and say stuff like someone quoted today "go broke as hero" then they might be over invested into short position. As their losses in the short position increase and become comparable to the long position and whatever % of their long position is allowed to be in the margin by the broker, they will exceed the max borrowed money allowed and the broker will ask them to sell long position to bring the losses in the margin under the max allowed or add cash, i.e. if no cash available this will be a forced covering of $TSLA short, so some shorts will no longer be able to control when exactly they cover.

With SP at ~ATH pretty much every short has a loss, which translates into higher % of over-leveraged shorts that must cover against their will and if they have PUTs that are losing money even quicker, then they are even at a higher risk of exceeding their margin and being forced to sell other equity and buy TSLA shares.

Last edited:
Sell-off AH. Bizarre volume -- reset from ~475k to ~8k. Anyone else seeing the ~376.50 price?
UPDATE 1-Spending deal does not hike EV credit, boosts aviation inspection funds

WASHINGTON, Dec 16 (Reuters) - The U.S. Congress declined to extend a $7,500 tax credit for electric vehicles but will boost funding for aviation safety after two deadly Boeing 737 MAX crashes.

Thanks, that provides some explanation regarding TSLA in the after-hours, although the macros are also pulling back but not quite as steeply. In any event, the after-hours pull-back in Tesla to the level of much of the final hour of regular trading lends credence to the notion that the potential for a tax credit extension was not a significant reason for today's price rise. The likelihood of a credit extension was pretty much discounted earlier today with little reaction in the TSLA share price.

UPDATE 1-Spending deal does not hike EV credit, boosts aviation inspection funds

WASHINGTON, Dec 16 (Reuters) - The U.S. Congress declined to extend a $7,500 tax credit for electric vehicles but will boost funding for aviation safety after two deadly Boeing 737 MAX crashes.
This might be taken as bad short term news, but it is a good long term news.

Basically, it's a question of who do you believe is able to bring costs under control faster - Tesla or OEMs. And OEMs have a lot more costs - from dealers, from larger, less efficient batteries, etc.
So, the answer is clear.

200k limit only gives you so much time at a high production volume; or if your volume is not high, you are not a competition to Tesla anyway.

I think this will only force Tesla to be more efficient sooner, which will make Tesla even a more fierce competitor.

One up from that is to plan it so that you are content with how your immediate financial needs are covered and you're able to hit that buy button even if your investment account is way in the red. At least for me (and I'm guessing for most) It's much easier to hold off on cashing in when you're already winning compared to buying when everything seems grim. But if you don't do the latter you're not likely to enjoy the former.

True dat.

Fortunately, I concluded some time ago that "Tesla will be the Standard Oil of this century," hence “Only a fool would sell their TSLA shares and only an utter fool would short them." So I’ve been buying through ups and downs for a number of years.

A bit of a bummer that I wasn’t as savvy as I could have been on the timing of some my purchases (though I’m not complaining one bit about my outcome). Just wish I had known earlier some of the things I’ve learned from the folks on this thread.

Last edited:
This might be taken as bad short term news, but it is a good long term news.

Basically, it's a question of who do you believe is able to bring costs under control faster - Tesla or OEMs. And OEMs have a lot more costs - from dealers, from larger, less efficient batteries, etc.
So, the answer is clear.

200k limit only gives you so much time at a high production volume; or if your volume is not high, you are not a competition to Tesla anyway.

I think this will only force Tesla to be more efficient sooner, which will make Tesla even a more fierce competitor.
It's good news, could you imagine all cancelations for last two weeks, if credits renewed starting 2020 and then not meeting q4 delivery targets.