Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What would happen if Tesla raised another $5billion in an offering soon?

What will happen when Tesla is added to the S&P 500?
From what I can tell just being added to the S&P 500 is worth about 5%, and the expectation of being added would surely increase SP as well.

Tesla doesn't really need the money so I don't think raising capital would help. It did last time because people were freaking out about their cash balance.

Today is a Triple Witching Day, a quarterly expiration of stock index futures, stock index options and individual stock options. These involve a lot more open interest than ordinary Friday expirations.

Based on yesterday's closing open interest, Opricot calculates TSLA's MaxPain to be $360. If the share price were to close at that level, then supposedly the greatest number of options owners would be shut out, and option writers (mainly hedge funds and market makers) would be able to keep the largest amount of their premiums. The true MaxPain can vary throughout a trading day.

My cursory survey of today's activity in TSLA options about to expire, indicates that $400 is far more likely the prime MaxPain target for manipulators. Of course any news or other factors could upset their plans.

$400 appears to have become a significant support level. TSLA hit a low today of $400.16 at 11:11 EST, and has been picking up nicely ever since. It looks as though true MaxPain may have shifted to $405. Of course this could change again.

Maybe splitting hairs here, but sounds like he thinks it's turning into a squeeze. So we're in this transitional gray area where it could squeeze, or not, is how I read his analysis.

I read an interesting exchange between Spiegel and a trader on Twitter yesterday where the trader seemed pretty firm in his conviction that some financial heavy hitters have identified shorts as being up against it and are going to bid the price higher until they capitulate.

Whether that's the actual scenario here or someone(s) have taken a more legitimate interested based on Tesla's future potential as @DaveT postulates, who knows? Either way, people are buying a lot of shares and anyone sold short has got to be sweating it because the price just keeps going up.

Edit: We should keep a close eye on stock borrow costs. Wouldn't an increase in those from general collateral levels of 0.30% be one of the first big red flags of an impending squeeze?

Last edited:
A question for the market charting aficionados:

Does technical analysis have the flexibility to alter its forecasting techniques to account for exogenous variables like anomalously high levels of short interest?

I think it's obvious where I'm going here.

Technical analysis can be broken by fundamental shifts - black or white swans, if you will.

• Informative
Reactions: capster
A question for the market charting aficionados:

Does technical analysis have the flexibility to alter its forecasting techniques to account for exogenous variables like anomalously high levels of short interest?

I think it's obvious where I'm going here.

I never discussed that concern in my 2003 technical analysis primer, which McGraw-Hill requested me to write as an overview in relatively simple terms for novices. Short interest does indeed appear to confuse the matter. Unlike some others, I am not a technical analysis purist. It can be quite helpful in attempts to decipher otherwise unknowable intentions of market participants. I use it among a great many other factors including awareness of short interest in my own trading. :cool:

Totally agree. It's like the commercial projects are seldom thought of by them; and the installations are huge and proven. Those news stories, of which there are, don't seem to register with them so get little expanded coverage but that is their job to know about these things, evaluate and factor in. Suppose one day someone will realize the value and potential this has for Tesla, the stock and the world. Their energy division is one of the reasons to be long on Tesla.

I am guessing they don't know how to evaluate the market opportunity. For instance: a Tesla battery installation can replace a natural gas peaker plant. But how many such peaker plants are there (in the world)? How much do they cost to operate? For each one, how much would a battery installation with comparable capacity cost (to both install and operate)? Therefore, how long is the ROI?

I've seen some such numbers for the Hornsdale installation, but it's by no means clear (to me) how you could extend that to the rest of the world.

So I think they throw up their hands and say "since we don't know how big the commercial energy market opportunity is, we'll just call it zero, and then nobody can claim we're being overly optimistic."

Last edited:
I'm not up-to-date on all discussion here... has there been any thought about the price reduction in China being conditional on the license for Tesla to start selling into the market, or has that been settled already?

Prevailing opinion was that was FUD designed to slow MIC sales.

EDIT: Certainly there are supply chain efficiencies to be gained in China, and production costs are certainly going to be lower. Perhaps that is where the 20% estimate comes from. But Tesla will decide how much of that to pass on to the consumer vs. growing margins. Saying they're going to cut prices by 20% simply is saying, "Don't buy now!"