Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Prevailing opinion was that was FUD designed to slow MIC sales.

EDIT: Certainly there are supply chain efficiencies to be gained in China, and production costs are certainly going to be lower. Perhaps that is where the 20% estimate comes from. But Tesla will decide how much of that to pass on to the consumer vs. growing margins. Saying they're going to cut prices by 20% simply is saying, "Don't buy now!"

Yes, it is unlikely China would play price games at the state level. But there could be political irritations like, 'Hey, we lowered the tax rate and even gave you state incentives, aren't you going to be realistic about your lower costs here?'

Yes, it is unlikely China would play price games at the state level. But there could be political irritations like, 'Hey, we lowered the tax rate and even gave you state incentives, aren't you going to be realistic about your lower costs here?'

That's a fair point. I'm sure there's a balance to be struck with politicians and Tesla will find it. But from Tesla's end I imagine decisions are primarily going to be based on supply/demand and I have a hard time believing they need to lower prices that much (if at all) to sell every car they can make at GF3.

Intraday for sure. Got a possible 420 avatar candidate lined up:

View attachment 490639

Exactly, and Bandit is licking his chops in our Model 3. FYI, his ear is pointing in the direction of the SP on-screen. (His name could easily be "Hockey Stick", but not to sound too "Technical" on this thread).

12-20-2019 11-26-54 AM.png

Finally, they are discussing TSLA on CNBC. Very sophisticated chatter about mahjong penetration in Florida. No light thrown whatsoever on why the stock appreciated 70% in 90 days. They just asserted this very statistic and then promptly shrugged their collective shoulders (4 highly educated financial analysts) as to why it happened or what it means.

I'm not up-to-date on all discussion here... has there been any thought about the price reduction in China being conditional on the license for Tesla to start selling into the market, or has that been settled already?
The price reduction in China was fake news, and denied by Tesla China almost immediately. Tesla North America made no comment because the office would have been closed at the time.

That's a fair point. I'm sure there's a balance to be struck with politicians and Tesla will find it. But from Tesla's end I imagine decisions are primarily going to be based on supply/demand and I have a hard time believing they need to lower prices that much (if at all) to sell every car they can make at GF3.

Exactly. That's the reality. My three years or so living in Asia taught me that the Asian consumer will gladly spend whatever it costs to be able to show off as the owner of the best technology in the world. Tesla 'owns' those consumers.
I suppose as much as the politicians want to have Tesla as their technology gem in Shanghai, some of them may find it irksome if Tesla is too unforgiving on price vs cost environment.

Don't like/trust the guy, but does anyone have access to this Cramer article? Curious if he wrote anything of substance or just fluff.

Jim Cramer: Tesla Is a Phenomenon

Where are the Tesla sellers? What happened to them? They were there every day for ages. Every point. Suddenly they are gone. The stock opens higher each morning like clockwork and it has no resistance. What happened?

First, earnings. That's right, there are now real projections and they are spectacular: $5 next year and then $10 in 2021. These are consensus estimates. They are vetted and they actually may happen. That means it is a heck of a lot better than Ford and GM when it comes to growth and growth is really all that matters when it comes to vehicles because no one else has it. No one.

Second, ingenuity: So many auto companies were supposed to have real competitive products in the market, genuine, well-engineered products with real cache, especially the Germans. Looks like they are a lot harder to make than people thought. The competition isn't there.

Third: Musk himself has gone from someone who seemed chronically on the verge of some sort of nervous breakdown or egomaniacal high that he became his own worst enemy. We don't know if he's gotten his life together, I sure hope he has, and maybe he even believes it is together and it isn't. The fact is it doesn't matter. He's no longer teasing the SEC. He's no longer trashing the analysts. He's just like all other CEOs with the rare exception of the departing John Legere from T-Mobile . He runs a good, thorough conference call, gives an occasional speech and is otherwise, I never thought I would say this, not controversial. That makes him easy to get behind.

Fourth: If you have earnings estimates it's pretty easy to raise enough money to make or do whatever you want. For years I heard that Tesla could never make a profit. Then I heard that if they make a profit it's all made up, using subsidies and bogus accounting.

Fifth: Now I hear nothing. And if Tesla is going to make even half of what the analysts say it would be no problem to raise $5 billion at reasonable rates if needed.

Sixth: He really was able to build a gigantic factory in 10 months. As someone who has been involved in building even the smallest of factories that's astounding. That's better than Intel , which I always regarded as the single greatest manufacturer we have in this country and they can't build them fasted than 18 months. I know some of you think that might not be a good comparison but you need to know that Intel had long been considered the gold standard when it came to greenfield factory build outs.

Seventh: The solar panel deal which seemed so dilutive is now becoming an asset not a liability as Musk has somehow been able to reduce the price of the product to where the payback is pretty immediate and the competition yields nothing.

Eighth: The cars have only improved with each iteration. They still have tremendous pizazz even when a rock gets thrown through a window of a cyber truck that's supposed to be unbreakable. Millennials love them.

Ninth: Charging stations are now ubiquitous and easily found via the web.

Tenth: It turns out that many of the sellers were short sellers, not long sellers. They have disappeared or are covering - they are the ones who buy before the market opens - because it's a hard borrow without a real thesis. I can't own stocks. Tesla's not for a charitable trust. But I have liked it ever since the rock went through the window and I like it just as much today even as it's having a monumental move. No level, no level seems to bring out sellers. It's a phenomenon. One that's rarely seen and one that's incredible to behold.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tesla has been quite clear and consistent that car prices will be the same in all markets with adjustments for shipping costs, taxes, and tariffs. I think this is a wise policy because it is quite fair

Tesla received tax breaks for building GF1 in Nevada as well. This is common for billion dollar scale investments.

It’s not in China’s interest to play such games with Tesla if they want more GFs built there. At full scale Tesla could be operating dozens of gigafactories.

I saw this too late, and because I'm a Noob, I got a message.. buy order filled :confused:
I guess I'll have to spring for another at 420.69
My deep sympathies! I made the same mistake, but somewhat fortunately I made another at the same time and fat-fingered in 410 instead of 420. :oops: Wrong buy, but it could have been even worse. :rolleyes:

Oh well, I'll just try to rescue some of that value and make another attempt, now armed with better knowledge.

I don't think this morning was THE SHORTS as much as it the options. THEY proved many times they could drop the SP $6 in 30 minutes so don't get too excited. I think this morning was just putting things in range. I have planned buys for the push down under $400. THEY don't want to move to soon or others can push it lower to gain their puts. It's going to be interesting because like a few others I think we see some end of day margin covers too.

It is convenient how the price is hanging in around $405 where a $6 push down would put the SP right under the $400 Calls.

THEY, OTHERS... not really one person. Just how the general market is battling today.

I am guessing they don't know how to evaluate the market opportunity. For instance: a Tesla battery installation can replace a natural gas peaker plant. But how many such peaker plants are there (in the world)? How much do they cost to operate? For each one, how much would a battery installation with comparable capacity cost (to both install and operate)? Therefore, how long is the ROI?

I've seen some such numbers for the Hornsdale installation, but it's by no means clear (to me) how you could extend that to the rest of the world.

So I think they throw up their hands and say "since we don't know how big the commercial energy market opportunity is, we'll just call it zero, and then nobody can claim we're being overly optimistic."
There are 1,264 operating peaker plants in the US according to this report:
Peaker Plant Map - Clean Energy Group
In areas that have more power from variable sources, typically wind and solar, the need for some typwe of buffer is even more important than it otherwise is. The normal distribution of peaker plants is highest where power peaks are most correlated with time of day or coupled with seasonal differences too. basically that means everywhere. At the present time some form of energy storage is increasingly popular to compensate for variable sources, but now is becoming more popular to supplement peakers.

There are three major motivations for. using storage to offset peakers.
First, time and expense to build a peaker are both much higher than they are for storage;
Second, battery storage is instantly available, thus eliminating the time lag of minutes or hours to activate a peaker.
Third, battery storage operation is essentially free to operate and cheap to maintain while all other peaker from are expensive to run and maintain.

An ancillary reason is that battery storage allows crowing about being a 'Green' utility.

I’ve always understood when Elon said FSD would be feature complete by year end, it simply meant that they had a working set of all the pieces to FSD they needed. From there they would be working on improving and refining it as more AI real world examples got fed into it. At some point that would then be ready to submit for govt approval.

I ordered FSD but don’t think it will be truly Full self driving in the near term. Hard to believe some people seem to think it will be. Heck think about how long it takes a kid to grow up and drive a car and how even at 18 will still make judgment and driving mistakes...and even after many years of driving. That said am impressed with the progress made and heck even the attempt to try this. Look forward to seeing where we are ten, twenty years down the road. In the meantime if used as intended as a driving assist, does provide better driving experience and do believe safer one.

I agree. I think there will be a significant gap in time between L3 (driver does not need to pay attention but needs to be able to take over if the system requests it) and L4/L5 (no one in the car is responsible for takeover) needed for robotaxi. I can imagine L3 by the end of 2020, but that's still aggressive. Making the jump to L4 will likely take another year, followed by a slow rollout of regulatory approval, probably geographically limited.

Just my opinion. For reference, I also thought it would take SpaceX longer to stick the F9 booster landings.

• Helpful
Reactions: SpaceCash
I agree. I think there will be a significant gap in time between L3 (driver does not need to pay attention but needs to be able to take over if the system requests it) and L4/L5 (no one in the car is responsible for takeover) needed for robotaxi. I can imagine L3 by the end of 2020, but that's still aggressive. Making the jump to L4 will likely take another year, followed by a slow rollout of regulatory approval, probably geographically limited.

Just my opinion. For reference, I also thought it would take SpaceX longer to stick the F9 booster landings.

Fun thought experiment - will the SP respond to FSD just like the progress? A slow march with positive bumps every time there's a development - coast to coast demo, feature complete level 2, regulatory approval of hands-free, roll-out of robotaxi platform, etc.? Or will there be a moment when the market realizes autonomy more significantly has to be a part of the valuation?

current decline reasons:

1. longs taking profit from all time high
2. longs taking profit for Christmas
3. longs taking profit for end of year gains
4. shorts jumping in at all time high
5. oil money hoping to delay the inevitable

I think I'll take the reasons in the order given.

current buying reasons:

1. improving Tesla fundamentals
2. impending FSD
3. GF3 already in production
4. high production and delivery numbers for the quarter
5. impending Model Y release
6. investor battery day anticipation
7. OTA paid upgrades
8. more games coming as an indicator for app store
9. finally charging for premium access as previously indicated

honestly, other than the simply amazing ramp of GF3 I'm not seeing much there. What I mean is that fundamentals is "just" more of the same, FSD will be pending (until it isn't), P&D should be good but may not be record breaking, Model Y and battery is just speculation, new revenue streams have potential but are not proven.

But regardless of the substance, or lack thereof, there's lots of buying interest so far even if the balance is -- so far -- favoring the selling interest. So I have to keep a close eye on the stock to see which one wins out. I'm not considering selling and I can't buy, but I'm captivated.

I expect the shorts want to keep any gain to a minimum today; preferably, for them, end just barely in the red. As opposed to their pushing down as hard as they possibly can today. (Of course, their actual control of events continues to become more and more limited.)

On the one hand, they don’t want to enter next week with another margin call driven bounce.

On the other hand, they’ll want to keep as much dry powder as they have left so they can use it during the short trading week next week.

But, yes, only delaying the inevitable. Praying for some disaster for Tesla I suppose.

Last edited:
Reactions: humbaba