Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Elon's electric supersonic eVTOL that's capable of transcontinental flight is obviously not what I was referring to, but rather the numerous eVTOLs currently in development for urban transportation which several companies in Israel are involved with.

My point that Tesla R&D center in Israel has nothing to do with eVTOLs still stands.

As much as I love a bullish price target, why in the world do people pay attention to these folks? The fellow in question has an annual return of -2%.
It's probably that most people are not comfortable making a decision that involves a lot of money, so they follow an "expert". If it goes sour, they don't have themselves to blame.

Tesla has not addressed people using defeat devices. I really would like to see them do so and threaten removing your license for AP/FSD if you are shown to have used one. I have to think it's as simple as detecting that the weight on the wheel hasn't changed in X amount of time and recognizing that as an idiot who is abusing the system and slowing down progress for everyone.

Fortunately the market seems to brush off these small events now. The FUDsters overplayed their hand too many times.
People do much worse things in cars. Tesla could also reliably detect extremely aggressive driving behavior and shut off the car. I of course would rather them not. Tesla’s job is not to police their owners.

It's probably that most people are not comfortable making a decision that involves a lot of money, so they follow an "expert". If it goes sour, they don't have themselves to blame.

Yeah I understand that, it was more of a rhetorical question. I mean at least follow someone with a good track record. I guess much of the movement off of price targets is just robot/algo trading...

People do much worse things in cars. Tesla could also reliably detect extremely aggressive driving behavior and shut off the car. I of course would rather them not. Tesla’s job is not to police their owners.
It's not their "job" but it is in their best interest to make sure people aren't crashing into things while sleeping or watching movies.

I suspect that Tesla believes it will be moot in a short time as FSD takes over.
I hope you are correct. I don't like electronic baby sitters but there are always some that abuse the system.

To be fair (although, really, why should we be fair?), the business model of all those manufacturers with dealers is such that I don't think it matters much to them when the cars are sold to end customers. I suppose it matters some to the dealers, but they are generally privately owned and so don't have Wall St. pressures.

That is true.

Dealerships do like to dump inventory at year end to clear way for new models. I suppose they’ve already done that before New Year’s Eve. And I suppose they could have had hundreds of people lined up for hours to pay full price for last year’s models clear out — *why do we not have a hysterical laughter emoji on this forum?*

Nope. I see no reason to be fair at this point.

You seriously think that if anything like that were to be announced internally that it wouldn't leak? Tesla is not Apple.

Thankfully, Tesla is not Apple!

I know AAPL is a very common holding in portfolios worldwide and that it has performed very well over the last 15 years or so. But looking towards the future, I think we can all be very happy that Tesla is not Apple!

@Krugerrand @mars_or_bust While I mostly agree with both of you, if NoA was involved in this I think it will be found partially at fault and Tesla will be required to change, or disable, it. The problem is that NoA will take the exit on its own and then turns off NoA but leaves TACC enabled. I think it needs to turn all AP features off and bring the car to a stop, with the hazard lights on and beeping inside, until the driver acknowledges that they are attentive and in control of the vehicle. (Just like if you are failing to provide enough toque on the steering wheel on Autosteer, but in this case torque alone shouldn't be enough to avoid the stopping.) Basic CC/TACC don't cause the same issue since it never steers and so if you fall asleep you are likely to have an accident on the freeway normally glancing into a guardrail. Not running a red light and hitting cross traffic.

I think people need to engage their brains and pay attention when they drive, if and until the time comes when FSD is ready to take full control.

I think people need to take responsibility for their actions and quit blaming others or AP/EAP. There’s no more an excuse for running a red light as there is for texting while driving. Get off the road if you are somehow unable to pay attention and drive like a civilized human being.

No. I won’t accept some ignorant argument either; ‘I didn’t know it wouldn’t stop. I thought it drove itself.’

I have no issues with NoA or how it works. Used as intended it is a great stress reducer. I also find it fascinating how it does or does not deal with individual circumstances. Watching it learn over the last year has been incredible.

If anyone as ideas or suggestions of features or changes like you suggested, that they believe would make it better, more user friendly, safer — they should feel free to tell Tesla/Elon.

Oh, it’s bad. I’m not too close to any fires (fingers crossed) but the air is so polluted that it smells like a campfire inside, visibility is only a few hundred meters, we’ve been warned not to go outside, and I’ve been told to work from home for the next several days. Even New Year’s Eve was cancelled. Everyone seem to agree that we’re living through the apocalypse.

Make the most of it and shoot some mad max movies?

This one is different. While lives lost may be lower, the sheer scale has not been seen before.

Don't disagree that this is an awful year (their geography with wind coming from desert middle is a bad mix...climate change just exacerbates the issue). btw: Love the country...been there over 20 times.

Au fire history.png

It's not their "job" but it is in their best interest to make sure people aren't crashing into things while sleeping or watching movies.

First of all you can’t watch movies while driving a Tesla unless it’s on a cellphone or some such. That’s got nothing to do with Tesla.

Second, it’s in the best interest of you, me and everyone else in a car, on a road, not to fall asleep while driving. Also nothing to do with Tesla.

If you’re going to put that on Tesla, best you mosey on over to every other car forum and put it on those OEMs shoulders too. And don’t forget Waymo and all the rest.