Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, I don't think the term "blow-off top" describes what I'm seeing. The share price would have to be a LOT higher than where it is for that to happen, IMO. It's trading more like it's being artificially held down, not over-speculation to the upside. If so, that means any downward corrections in the short term would be less than 10% (and probably a lot less).

The thing that is really screwing with any sort of chart analysis or technical chart movement is Q4 earnings. We still don't even know when it will be(where is that Q4 earnings date announcement BTW???) and it's significance, including full year 2020 guidance, will determine whether we stay at current levels, drop from here, or move higher. It really feels like Q4 earnings and 2020 guidance will either propel us into more uncharted territory where there continues to be no trading range or give Wall St an excuse to start setting a trading range around the current levels(with like a 10-15% +- of the current share price).

It definitely feels to me like typical Wall St "wants" to introduce a lot more volatility in the stock with heavy swings back and forth but it seems like everyone's holding and/or buying in anticipation of that earnings report.

Last edited:
So, all the highly populated states go to Tesla, sparsely populated go to Ford??
;)

I find it hard to believe that heavily populated Illinois is in the Ford Mach-E camp. Perhaps that's due to downstate influence, but the majority of our population is here in Chicagoland (6-county metro-area) where the Tesla Model Y would almost certainly be the choice. :cool:

Sometimes I think that Blackrock is somehow in on all the backroom manipulation. If so, why now? (TSLA News is on fire maybe.)
They wouldn't dare dump some of it would they... say right after Q4 Earnings?

Paranoid (but "Only the Paranoid Survive")

Blackrock dumping some TSLA would hurt their already large holding in TSLA. It would also damage the credibility of their recently proclaimed anti-climate change promotion. Instead, buying more TSLA could boost the value of their overall TSLA holdings, while lending more credence to their stated position on climate change. :cool:

Geotagging data shows Tesla Model Y vs. Ford Mach-E interest for each US state

Geotagging data shows Tesla Model Y vs. Ford Mach-E interest for each US state

View attachment 500497

Except for the weather, it sucks that I live in Az. Nobody here to share the excitement, and the only (1 other) one around with solar and nobody I know owns a Tesla... lonely.
I'd love to upgrade to an M3P. Our LR 2WD is not enough (need to slide), but it's also nostalgic with the orange glass roof and cool history.

Interest in the Mach-E is people just hoping there will be an actual alternative to Tesla.

Not yet!

Right, there is a big difference between the two that isn't represented there. The Model Y is a known entity, in that it's basically just a larger/CUV version of the existing 3. If you like the 3 but want more room, you'll like the Y. The Mustang is (mostly) an unknown that people can project what they want it to be into.

The more I have thought about that Fortune article and the TSLA "Blindfold Test", the more exasperated...irritated...angry I have become.

Here is a rather novel way of sharing that with you.
Actually, I think you're looking for the parable of the blind men and an elephant

"A group of blind men heard that a strange animal, called an elephant, had been brought to the town, but none of them were aware of its shape and form. Out of curiosity, they said: "We must inspect and know it by touch, of which we are capable". So, they sought it out, and when they found it they groped about it.

In the case of the first person, whose hand landed on the trunk, said "This being is like a thick snake". For another one whose hand reached its ear, it seemed like a kind of fan.

As for another person, whose hand was upon its leg, said, the elephant is a pillar like a tree-trunk. The blind man who placed his hand upon its side said the elephant, "is a wall".

Another who felt its tail, described it as a rope. The last felt its tusk, stating the elephant is that which is hard, smooth and like a spear."​

So in this article, we see the the blind (journalist) hurding the blind (public) to his desired conclusion. In literature this is classical farce, yet today's audience is entertained (unwittingly).

Who says you can't find a job with a classical education? :rolleyes:

Cheers!

What kind of major upgrades? We know Model Y will be built on a seperate line, so it should not be necessary to shut down the Model 3 line for longer periods.
There has been shut down every year in early January. This might be more extensive this year. They told that both the Model Y and the GF3 Model 3 line has introduced new technologies. It is likely that they want to implement these also at Fremont Model 3. (Reduced wiring? Shorter bodyline with complex stamping? It might be my imagination, but I could not see any conveyor belt (an obviously archaic concept in GF3.)
Also, do we know that it will be separate lines? There will be multiple 3 and Y lines and obviously makes sense not to mix making the two in the same shift, but it could be beneficial to be able to shift lines between the models depending on demand.
I have only heard a statement that the intro. of Model y, will not interfere with Model 3 production, but that does not contradict to any of these.

Reactions: Christine69420
Yeah, and they're "shifting gears" while "running hot" and "guzzling gas". /s

The fossilized speech of the 20th Century must be retired. We really need a new idiom of speech for a new Century. People frequently ask me where you put the gas in an electric car, lol.

So how about "peak performance" as the new phrase? For example, rephrasing this analyst's statement as "Tesla truly seems to be running at peak performance". Simple, aliterative, and catchy.

Wordsmiths want to know! :)

Cheers!

Tesla is flying with all engines engaged!

TSLA jumped like all engines kicked in!

That Tesla is pushing protons like crazy!

• Funny
Reactions: Artful Dodger
So, all the highly populated states go to Tesla, sparsely populated go to Ford??
;)
Good thing revenue is based on popular vote. [ducks under desk]

Higher vote in highly populated states = >50 % vote in higher population = higher net demand = higher sales = higher SP = increase in my net worth!
That is my logic and I am sticking to it! :D

Reactions: Rb48888
Blackrock dumping some TSLA would hurt their already large holding in TSLA. It would also damage the credibility of their recently proclaimed anti-climate change promotion. Instead, buying more TSLA could boost the value of their overall TSLA holdings, while lending more credence to their stated position on climate change. :cool:

That would be the conventional thinking if they were a pure investment entity (speculation here). I just see this SP as nearly unbelievable without major covering, and that oil would just give up that quickly. The phrase "Too good to be true" comes to mind.

However... the shift of investment money away from oil does make sense (which is how the Saudi's saw it as well). Plus, as they say, their clients are becoming more environmentally aware, so they'd probably like to keep them. It's just that some humans or entities have so much power lately that it's not surprising when someone inside is selfishly tipping the scales.

Higher vote in highly populated states = >50 % vote in higher population = higher net demand = higher sales = higher SP = increase in my net worth!
That is my logic and I am sticking to it! :D
You guys are forgetting Florida is on the Mach E list. My guess is older folks don't even know about Tesla Model Y.
Build it and they will come.

Right, there is a big difference between the two that isn't represented there. The Model Y is a known entity, in that it's basically just a larger/CUV version of the existing 3. If you like the 3 but want more room, you'll like the Y. The Mustang is (mostly) an unknown that people can project what they want it to be into.
At least until they try to take a trip in it.

At $200 share price shorts increasing their stake by $2 billion was 10 million shares. Now $2bn is just dumping 3.6 million shares. Doesn’t do nearly so much damage.
That's a good point, but there were slides quite a bit higher than $200 that seemed to be triggered by rapid dumps designed to influence investor sentiment. If that were achieved via short interest it doesn't necessarily follow that there was a net increase by the time of the next short interest data figure as they could cover slowly in the interim.

Even if the price pressure were exactly equal for shorting and then covering it could net a lower price through hitting stop loss orders or convincing weak longs that it was time to dump.

But even rapid dumps of shares in the last few weeks have not had that effect.

That's what I don't understand. How can 1Q20 look anything but amazing?
I don't expect horrible, but it's unclear how good it's going to be. We don't have much info on deliveries in Q1. We have some info that delivery dates are pushed back and maybe China is sold out, but how many cars is that for? We will have to see what they say during Q4 earnings.

Fact Checking had a good post about headwinds and tailwinds for Q1: Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the 2019-2020 Investors' Roundtable

Only thing he might have missed is a consideration of any impact due to scheduled downtime at Fremont in January on production. There seems to be some chatter here about it, but not much info.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Esme Es Mejor
I sold about 12% of my TSLA stock today. No longer using margin and I’m trying to put some free cash aside in case of lower prices.

I haven’t read much in this thread lately, but I would guess the sentiment is pretty positive here. I think it is a good time to sell some stocks. We’re almost at 100 billion which is a really high valuation. In addition a financial crises is long overdue.