Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Near term options seem like easy money but I'm sitting on the side for now. Fortunately I have a few active calls that are pretty well in the money. I just can't justify risking 10k at this level of uncertainty.

Same. Will probably regret it in the near-term but I think it's a good sign my conservative side can still win these mental tug-o-wars.

Lots of people bought stock.

Or a couple people bought lots of stock.

Or some combination of the two.

Or lots of people covered a few shares.

Or a few people covered a lot of shares.

Or the combination of the two.

Or some combination of all four.

(I'll be here for expert stock analysis all day).

Dear Mr Burch,

You clearly possess the insight required to be a CNBC analyst. We would be honored if you joined us. Please contact our HR department if you agree. Terms negotiable.

Sincerely,
The CNBC recruiting team.

Noticed on Twitter this am: Musk has now made money on his SEC fine. He paid $20M for the fine, and bought $20M in stock at $282/share to 'pay' Tesla's $20M fine. That stock is now worth over $40M at yesterday's close.

Elon's gotta be worth over $40 billion now...?

Doesn't he have ~38m shares? That's ~$22b.

SpaceX was worth $33b about a year ago, I'd bet it's at least $40b now, and he owns ~half of that.

List of richest people in the world - Wikipedia

Is it enough to kick one of the Koch brothers (delicious irony..) off the list?

Ihor tweeted earlier that shorts had made a few hundred million this morning on the price drop. Um, he's going to need to update that methinks.
Dear Mr Burch,

You clearly possess the insight required to be a CNBC analyst. We would be honored if you joined us. Please contact our HR department if you agree. Terms negotiable.

I will only accept if I am provided with this vital investing tool:

104178481-Soundboard_Buttons.1910x1000.jpg

BTW., yesterday TSLA closed at an ATH, and as a result there were elevated volumes of after-market trading of 600k shares, presumably quite a few from margin calls turning into forced covering after an ATH day, but unlike in previous instances this liquidity didn't push up the price significantly, it was soaked up in the $570-$572 range.

This morning's early trading at 4am ET started with 57k shares traded already, and a push down to around $562 was executed, against overall calm macro trends as you noted:

This is relatively high volume early-early-market trading if I may coin the 4am-8am phase that way. :D Usual volumes are just a few thousand shares, normally.

We'll see. If we indeed have options writers anxious to set an example for a favorable closing price tomorrow, then they might expend some (comparatively cheaper) firepower in early trading to signal that they control the price.

Not advice in any case. :D
"signal that they control the price", you say?

I'm not sure how that's working out for them...

...for which I am grateful.

• Love
Reactions: Artful Dodger
Isn't the volume of 7.7mil within the opening hour proof that at least someone is selling?
Of course, these are the sellers who do not own the stock they sell.
I have a hunch that The Tesla Squeeze will bankrupt a few big big hedges and banks and MMs and cause a general recession.
Not to mention a country or few...

Cry me a river.

Just an FYI - this isn't the old UBS analyst (Colin Langan, who was the worst) who was let go last fall. This is their (primarily European) auto analyst Patrick Hummel. He's historically been actually pretty positive on TSLA. He's actually pretty reasonable and I could see him upgrading the stock soon. Had it not had this run he almost certainly would have I imagine.

Now Barclays, JPM, BAML, MS, Cowen, ISI, and Credit Suisse on the other hand... those guys taking their short to the grave but it appears that their ability to manipulate the stock through false forecasts / predictions is coming or has come to an end.

I'm really hoping that battery investor day reveals improvements in charging time that finally put to rest concerns that EVs take too long to charge and therefore impractical. That could be a catalyst for further stock appreciation, and one less vector for FUD.

Personally, I don't think it is an issue with v3 superchargers, but it is a common perception.

Last edited:
Reactions: EVMeister