Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New As predicted by many, the real numbers are a magnitude higher than the observed numbers.

Xinqi Su 蘇昕琪 on Twitter
Key takeaway so far
1, Wuhan is estimated to have over 25,000 confirmed cases and over 43,000 infections
2, Wuhan lockdown doesn’t really help to stop spreading in other major cities in China
3, Chongqing can be the most affected,followed by Beijing Shanghai Guangzhou Shenzhen"

Similar estimates were given by the WHO's modeling expert yesterday already.

This is the correct way to model:

Nassim Nicholas Taleb on Twitter

A rather opinionated person, plus there's no "correct" way to model a largely unknown pathogen based on unreliable reporting.

So I'm really going out on a limb trying to estimate how long the restrictions are going to last, but the spreading of the SARS coronavirus is probably the closest analogy we have:

December 8 was probably the first case for the Wuhan virus - so if we shift the SARS graph by two months we get a peak in February and an end of new infections somewhere around May.

So all of Q1 would be impacted.

But, if the Wuhan virus is more contagious than SARS, which it appears to be, then this materially changes the speed of the infection wave.

I'd definitely warn against trying to compare SARS which was stopped early on, against the WuFlu, which appears to spread more easily and possibly won't be stopped.

If we compare to the regular "flu season", we are talking about months:

But regular flu is usually less contagious and spreading stops in the northern hemisphere in the summer, because the conditions to spread it deteriorate.

An extreme case of influenza was the Spanish Flu which spread in 3 waves until herd immunity reduced its effective R0 below the critical threshold:

That took 3 years - but international travel was much slower back then.

Another possible outcome is that if the symptoms are mild the Chinese authorities will let it run its course. In this case the Chinese economy would be less affected.

Does anyone have any idea how long it will take to develop a vaccine and produce it at scale?

Update, this is the first reliable estimate I've seen about duration of the coronavirus epidemic, on a live news conference of Hong Kong university modeling experts that is ongoing right now:

Thread by @rachel_cheung1: Gabriel Leung, dean of HKU's medical school on #CoronavirusOutbreak: basic reproductive number - secondary cases generated by an index infec…

"Epidemic curves with or without population quarantine are very similar, so the policy may not have a substantial impact on the course of outcome. In other major Chinese cities, the outbreak will reach its peak in April/May, and die down in June/July, says Leung."​

I.e. about a month longer than my SARS based coarse estimate. Q1 GF3 production and deliveries would be impacted I suspect.

Their latest estimated R0 is lower than some of the previous estimates, at 2.1.

They also outlined their hypothesis that mildly infected patients are less infectious. This would be good news for international containment.

Last edited:
Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Fact Checking
There are 3 authors of the paper.
This is one of them:
Yaneer Bar-Yam - Wikipedia

Can you source your WHO data?

Latest im seeing from them is this:
https://www.who.int/docs/default-so...126-sitrep-6-2019--ncov.pdf?sfvrsn=beaeee0c_4

That's their official communique, which is, in part, politics.

The WHO's modeling expert is Professor Ferguson, who yesterday estimated 100,000 patients:

Here's the WHO's disease modeling expert said about this today:

Coronavirus: 100,000 may already be infected, experts warn (The Guardian)

Prof Neil Ferguson, a public health expert at Imperial College, said his “best guess” was that there were 100,000 affected by the virus

Ferguson, whose team have been modelling the disease for the World Health Organization, said they estimated the virus had a reproductive rate of 2.5-3, meaning that each person infected would potentially transmit it to up to three others.

“My best guess now is perhaps 100,000 cases right now,” he said, although it could be between 30,000 and 200,000. “Almost certainly many tens of thousands of people are infected.”

Most of the cases that have been exported to other countries from China have been mild, he said.
With mild symptoms it's difficult to tell apart from regular flu season symptoms.

But I take back my remark about Nassim Nicholas Taleb, I've just read up his tweeting history, and he's opinionated and a bit arrogant, but entertainingly honest and mostly right. :D

Anyway, what Taleb says, what Ferguson estimated and the Hong Kong models are mostly in agreement.

In other major Chinese cities, the outbreak will reach its peak in April/May, and die down in June/July, says Leung
."

I.e. about a month longer than my SARS based coarse estimate. Q1 GF3 production and deliveries would be impacted I suspect.

I don't think you should link the possible length of this epidemic to GF3 production in Q1. There is no direct link between the two. There is only a link with the length of containment measures (mandatory factory closures, travel limitations, etc). Those will not last to April/May. It's not like Chinese businesses will go in lockdown for several months.

Opening is going to be a bloodbath across everything, hopefully we see a recovery throughout the day.

(Pointless comparing to impact from viruses in China from almost 20 years ago. Chinese market is far bigger today and far more important to many large cap US firms.)

We should really be prepared in the short term for what the worst case scenario will be for Tesla if it loses (temporarily) Shanghai production and has heavily reduced China sales for Q1 and into Q2, and then in the medium term what a large China economic slowdown will do for US & EU economies, and how that may impact sales in those regions. Again just a worse case scenario, but it’s more probable than it was a week ago.

Thank goodness the model Y is just around the quarter, which will be a massive positive to offset any potential weakness.

Political influences and the china virus is one, impeachment uncertainties are another, create usually an overreaction driven by fear.

As the virus has actually zero correlation with the performance of Tesla as a company unless GF3 productivity is impacted or the global economy will go down because of it which is hard to imagine, you have today morning a real nice buy opportunity.

Over the years at the stock market I always thought that this connection should be seen as an easy to identify pattern and investors will learn over time and adjust, instead I learned they do not. Whenever something unexpected happens that creates fear and the media is reporting constantly about it the stock market is going down for irrational reasons and later even higher up.

No one including myself knows if that pattern will happen here again but the likelihood it does is much higher than the risk it to be this time different.

Also, although infections will for good reasons rise and the up to 14 day until symptoms appear are bad in coordination with spreading the virus and no one knows you have it, its nothing else than a virus that we have every year and every year people who are weak or have other complications are dying.

Our brain considers a treat to be more dangerous the more often its reported to us while the true threat may be ignored. The likelihood for us all to die in traffic or by a hard stroke today is much higher than getting the virus but our brain does not work in likelihoods and prefers to run away.

Today is easy money for those who understand human behavior.

Opening is going to be a bloodbath across everything, hopefully we see a recovery throughout the day.

(Pointless comparing to impact from viruses in China from almost 20 years ago. Chinese market is far bigger today and far more important to many large cap US firms.)

We should really be prepared in the short term for what the worst case scenario will be for Tesla if it loses (temporarily) Shanghai production and has heavily reduced China sales for Q1 and into Q2, and then in the medium term what a large China economic slowdown will do for US & EU economies, and how that may impact sales in those regions. Again just a worse case scenario, but it’s more probable than it was a week ago.

Thank goodness the model Y is just around the quarter, which will be a massive positive to offset any potential weakness.

100% agree. It may turn into a big nothing burger, but it is not very helpful to compare this to SARS. China had barely joined the WTO then. It was a much smaller economy, it's grown by over 6% annually for 17 years since then.

China is a completely different country than it was in 2003. In 2003 there were 3 subway lines in Beijing. Now there are 25.

Beijing's Incredible Subway Expansion In One GIF | HuffPost

Instead of tanking the Chinese economy and therefore the world economy, the Chinese government might also decide that - once containment fails - it is better to just let the epidemic rage, with extra protection for the weak and elderly. Then it will simply be like the yearly flu epidemic (the flu kills half a million people worldwide every year), but worse.

By the way, if reports are true that a lot more people - hundreds of thousands - are infected/sick, then it would probably mean the mortality rate is much lower than reported. The number of mortalities is generally registered more thoroughly than the number of sick people.

EV sales growing faster than expected

Sales of electrified vehicles — particularly plug-in hybrids and full battery electrics — are growing faster than expected, according to a new study from Boston Consulting Group.

Electrified vehicles — which stand at about 8 percent of global sales — will account for a third of sales by 2025, according to a report released this month, up from the company's previously forecast one-fourth of sales.

Aside from plug-ins and full electric vehicles, the company's definition of electrified includes conventional and mild hybrids.

EV sales are expected to surpass internal-combustion-engine vehicle sales by 2030, taking 51 percent of the market.

EV sales are expected to surpass internal-combustion-engine vehicle sales by 2030, taking 51 percent of the market.

I'm going to take the over on 51 percent in 2030.

And I'll take the under on 2030 being the year where a majority of vehicles are electric.

This transition is going to go much faster than people are anticipating.

According to carsonight GF1 is producing between 7k and 8k packs per week.
Screenshot_20200127-112142_Twitter.jpg

Last quarter Tesla produced M3s at a rate of (87k * 4 /52)= 6.7k per week.

Excluding any inventory packs or local production we shouldn't expect GF3 to produce vehicles at a rate any better than 1.3k per week (17k) on average this quarter.

When local production starts we should be able to see it from the drone videos.

I'm going to take the over on 51 percent in 2030.

And I'll take the under on 2030 being the year where a majority of vehicles are electric.

This transition is going to go much faster than people are anticipating.

Or to quote Herbert Diess, the CEO of Volkswagen:

“There’s a misperception about the automotive industry.”

An industry such as ours can crash a lot faster than many would like to believe. Take a look at the automotive industry in Italy or Great Britain: it’s almost non-existent. Our industry once flourished in Detroit, bringing prosperity. The USA and China sense there is an opportunity to challenge our supremacy as regards the car of the future. And they are making headway. I put our chances of retaining our leading position at 50:50.”​

And that was in 2018, when Tesla was still struggling with the Model 3 ramp-up.

I'm feeling a bit depressed by the US response. In typical fashion they want to throw money at vaccine development when the immediate response should be public health measures, specifically house quarantine for 72-96 hours with facemask for any asymptomatic visitors to affected areas and isolation until test negative for any recent exposure and GI/Respiratory symptoms.
OT
@SageBrush
Dr Anthony Faucci of NIH was on NPR this am describing the 5 cases in US and how quarantined and pointed out 1 year for vaccine, 3 months for preliminary things. (Clinical trials ‘n such)
They are going as fast as possible.

(as an aside, things are accelerating. What took my spouse 3-4 years of dna sequencing, ~48,000 base pairs both directions, by hand, can be done after lunch at the push of a button in a few hours)

Sorry if this sounds noob, but I've never invested in such a volatile and yet confident stock like TSLA. Because they are usually quite mutually exclusive to each other.

My usual stock investing strategy has always been buying for value and exit when I see better opportunities elsewhere. Or sometimes sell when I see the stock is overheated (meaning I think the valuation was overhyped) and buy them back when it returns to normal and pocket the difference.

Now, I do believe that TSLA will have the chance to become a dominant tech company like FLAG with valuations in the high hundred billions if not trillions in say 5-10yrs frame.

Going all long until one-day TSLA hits 6000 is a very "all-in or nothing" strategy for me. And yet, I feel nothing even when TSLA goes up by 20% in a day as I still believe there's a lot of room to grow. I sold some shares when it popped after Q3 results, but quickly bought them back after feeling uneasy about the decision to sell, so after factoring all the costs, the transaction was pretty much neutral.

My question is, what would be the best strategy to optimize profit-taking in this long road of a very bull scenario?

in addition to the sage advice given by @Fact Checking, I would urge you to study this monthly chart I posted at the end of last week.

Although past performance is not a guide to future, we do see a pattern, and over the years I’ve been following this stock, it’s repeated more often than not.

232A5E49-70A3-4A95-843A-C398F92CB534.jpeg