Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You all have totally polluted my mind with the concept that Tesla might realize those deferred tax benefits. I simply can't get it out of my mind. I already expect a very nice looking profit for the last quarter, but the idea it might beat expectations by such a wide margin is just kind of mind boggling. I have no idea what to expect if they suddenly throw out a 5 EPS or something absurd like that.

Expect to be richer.

The other day I did pick up some super cheap long shot calls for 1/31. 8 contracts ranging from $755 to $830. I'm very much assuming we don't hit those numbers, or even close, but just in case we get a real squeeze they are fun lotto tickets for pennies.

And after we brake them, we'll break. them. :D
... and smote their ruin upon the mountain side

Cheers!
I do that every time. Whatever cluster of neurons are responsible for break vs brake in my head must ride the short bus to brain school.

• Love
Reactions: Artful Dodger
For Tesla they already have run-rate of X+Y so that would reduce Tesla sales by Y. Unless the "partner" was paying through the nose, what's in it for Tesla? It doesn't seem that it would advance the mission any as either way there are X+Y units being sold.

i also don't see what's in it for the consumer. they'd get a Tesla motor and battery, but without autopilot / FSD / Tesla's software and UI? Who on Earth would want Ford software driving their Tesla powertrain?

You all have totally polluted my mind with the concept that Tesla might realize those deferred tax benefits. I simply can't get it out of my mind. I already expect a very nice looking profit for the last quarter, but the idea it might beat expectations by such a wide margin is just kind of mind boggling. I have no idea what to expect if they suddenly throw out a 5 EPS or something absurd like that.

Not sure if I would want them to realize those deferred tax benefits. It opens the door to accusations about ‘accounting tricks’ - even if it is not a trick - and that would cloud any good results from regular operations.

i also don't see what's in it for the consumer. they'd get a Tesla motor and battery, but without autopilot / FSD / Tesla's software and UI? Who on Earth would want Ford software driving their Tesla powertrain?
I think that comes down to demand growth vs Tesla's ability to expand production. People aren't rational either, and some just have different tastes. There are many who would never buy a Tesla out of principle, some who only will buy a Ford, and others that might just not like the styling of Tesla vehicles. The latter is still the #1 reason people select cars IMO, after the basic functionality.

Reactions: Fred42
Back when the stock was $480 I sold $520 calls covered by the 2 options I already had.I figured the stock would sort of float to ER, but it didn't, and if it didn't then I effectively got $543 for options I wanted to get out of at some point anyway. I suppose I don't particularly regret that, I'd picked a number that I figured I'd sell at anyway and used the sold calls to get a bonus on top of that. Water under the bridge.

All the exuberance has me pondering what to do with those though. The IV is high, if the stock dips or even just stays put then I'm better off continuing to hold those options and get out of them after the ER. My thought now is maybe I buy some new call options for $650 or some such so I have something to gain on a big ER rise.

Though, last time there was mass exuberance here I bought in a good chunk of previous gains before the ER and got crushed and lost it all.

It would not be ford software. Ford would specialize on offering all the different form factor chassis to their customers, mustang coupe, vans, whatever. Tesla would be supplying battery, motor, ac, sensors, infotainment screen, and most importantly the software to manage the energy between all those components.

Maybe also the suspension as tesla has 10 years headstart on figuring out suspension for high torque bottom heavy battery cars, and has software that controls adaptive suspensions (Raven).

Ford/Volkswagen etc could equip tesla with the cash to scale up the new battery production to satisfy the demand from all the chassis they can build, maybe even pitch in to the supercharging network and onboard with that.

BMW can build great massage chairs.

Then again, even chairs are underappreciated, maybe.

• Funny
Reactions: Lessmog and wipster
Not sure if I would want them to realize those deferred tax benefits. It opens the door to accusations about ‘accounting tricks’ - even if it is not a trick - and that would cloud any good results from regular operations.

If they were to give guidance of an actual number range for Q1 like say 100-150 million GAAP profits, there's absolutely nothing to worry about when it comes to using the deferred tax benefits. Bears could cry all they want but for Tesla to claim the deferred tax benefits, they would need to show their numbers to an auditor to prove that Q1 and ongoing will be GAAP profitable.

Now if they don't give profitability guidance for Q1 and say something like it'll be close and yet they still realize the deferred tax benefits, then you would hear a lot of noise about accounting tricks/fraud. I would have to believe that Zach/Tesla are aware enough to not use any deferred tax benefits unless they were 100% confident in Q1 profitable(and by a nice margin, not like we will be profitable by 10 million GAAP) and future quarters.

Well, it will cost more money for the Ford, so there would be snob appeal.

Does anyone here do a scorecard recap, in table form maybe, of analysts’ expectations pre-ER and rate them on after quarterly results come out on how well they do in each category and also overall. Would be good to see who’s in tune with Tesla and who’s in left field and beyond. Who people should more be listening to on this stock. I think a lot of people would like to see these guys judged in an easy to read format of winners and losers.

Reactions: rsm287 and JusRelax