Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok, just read through the update letter, very solid report!
  • Over $1b in free cash flow, all time record, hit the ball out of the park - not even hyperbulls expected that. Amazon growth model, here we come!
  • Big revenue beat with $7.3b - all time record.
  • 500k+ deliveries guidance for 2020 is +40% YoY growth - the Tesla growth story continues.
  • Model Y sharing assembly capacity with the Model 3 was speculated about, but still caught everyone by surprise. Announcement of Model Y production, photos of the new BIW line with Model Ys already in production and announcement of first deliveries by end of March are obviously bombshell news. :D
  • GAAP profits are lower than expected, but mostly only due to non-cash stock compensation expenses. Cash from operations and gross profits were all very nice.
  • All time cash and cash equivalents record of $6.3b pushes out the date of bankwuptcy to ... never. :p
  • A bit higher ZEV revenue - I presume from FCA. Should significantly increase in 2020.
  • The "unsustainable" margins from Q3 were sustained in Q4. :cool:
  • Edit: hat tip to @adesai, combined guided production capacity annual run rate is at 760,000/year - which is way beyond all expectations!
Congratulations Tesla!! :)

Last edited:
Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the 2019-2020 Investors' Roundtable

"I still get the feeling they are sandbagging the beginning of Model Y production date, to not Osborne Model 3/X sales. From some news articles, seems like tooling and equipment were ordered in 2016 for a mid 2017 start.

I always thought they would start making Model Y in Fremont. Then they said Gigafactory but now are hedging. I don't know what the ploy is, but I still get the feeling Model is going into production in Q1 or Q2 2020 in Fremont."

Nailed it! ;)

And now, a break from the earnings countdown. WSJ has a video entitled, 'Three Continents and Hours and Hours of Charging. The electric vehicle road test".

Eight reporters try out different brand EVs on different continents. Their experiences: commuting around town mostly fine. Long-distance travel: range anxiety, having to turn off features (heat, A/C) to reach destination, lack of charging stations, broken or in-use public charging stations. *Finally* mention Tesla Superchargers having a better experience, but then they focus on one reporter in a Model 3 encountering a full station and then waiting for an hour to charge fully. This is in the Northeast where Superchargers are abundant. And the reporter obviously did not know how to minimize charging time in a Tesla (stop often, keep battery in the bottom of capacity to maximize charge rate).

Claims video is first of a series. If I have time, maybe it's possible to contact the editorial staff. Maybe others here can do so.

And now back to your
regularly scheduled programming...

I feel another run by Tesla owners is in order to show the reporters how it should have been done.

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the 2019-2020 Investors' Roundtable

Model 3 first release candidate seen end of March 2017 (tweeted out by Musk). Basically 4 months from production start.

Based on Model Y sightings so far, I feel like we are in early April 2017 for amount of sightings.

If we assume similar time to production, then yes that would be January / February.

Since Tesla is always improving, maybe it's even faster ;)

Why would anyone think it is a slower ramp to production than the Model 3?

Yes, I am basing this on what is observed, not what Elon says.

Note Elon also B.S.ed the idea that the Model Y was going to be built at GF1. And downplayed Model Y at its own reveal. And has already sandbagged the timeline.

There is no evidence that production will start later than Q1

I still expect Model Y timeline to be pulled up even further. Remember initially Model 3 was expected to take 6 months to ramp to 5000 / week "volume production".

Volume production in summer means production start in Q1. Now maybe they store them for a few months. But I expect Q4 earnings to be "oh BTW production is starting now"

Oh yeah, I totally nailed it, lol.

The GF1 / Fremont debate less than a year ago was total horsepoop!