Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How are people assuming the shorts squeeze has ended when shorts did not get out? They rolled their shorts out. One short even publicly announced he’s back in.

It’s pretty obvious Market Watch had inside short information about today and they accidentally sent the article out yesterday 3 minutes before close instead of today. Oops. Isn’t this almost exactly what happened last time one of these types of articles were “accidentally” published too soon.

With the SEC we have I expect them to now start an investigation........ into Tesla/Elon manipulating the SP up with insider information.

I had figured 1k a share by end of year, so even a sizable pullback now still has us on track to easily hit that. Especially if we start at 700 or so.
Same page. Buying at $700 to get to $1000 in about 12 months is a really terrific rate of return. I'm recommending to friends accumulation below $750.

Funny story about SPYX. I learned about it in November 2018, and decided to swap a portion of my S&P500 index funds in my 401k for it. I sold about $100k of the index in my 401k, transferred the proceeds to my "Brokeragelink" account - part of the 401k that allows trading a larger list of funds - and entered a market buy order for as many shares as I could afford.

The next day I got a note from Fidelity saying I need to address the negative cash balance in my account. WTF?! I told them it isn't a margin account, so it shouldn't even be possible to have a negative balance, and why would they even accept an order that caused a negative balance, and and... They could not explain how it happened, basically just said it is what it is and you need to fix it immediately. I had to sell about $1k of SPYX to cover it.

Eventually I figured out what happened on my own: when I entered the order, the (current price * number of shares) was less than the cash I had available, so Fidelity accepted the order. My single $100k order, being a market order, blew through part of the order book and caused the price to increase about 1.5%, and Fidelity stupidly continued to execute the order at higher, unaffordable prices.

I was absolutely dumbfounded. I had assumed any ETF was big enough to be completely immune to influence from a peon like me. But SPYX is a very small fund - only $462M assets today, and must have been even smaller back in 2018. So my $100k order was enough to move it noticeably. The bump was clearly visible on the daily chart, right at the time I placed the order, so I'm pretty sure it was me. It's my claim to fame as a fairly small-time investor - I single-handedly moved the price of an ETF by 1.5%!

The moral of the story is, be careful with SPYX since it's a tiny, tiny fund. I will never use a market order with that ETF again.

Just a reminder: Correlation is not causation . . . .

Just because two things happen at the same time does not mean that one caused the other.

Licensing battery tech to accelerate electrification may not make the best sense (for a few reason) in my option.

Ultimately, one or many of the majors will have to merge with Tesla as maybe the fastest way. In the merger deal, Tesla will get all their useful production facilities and land. Shareholders in the majors will convert their stock to tsla. All "transition" costs of factories and employees will be negotiated and also be a determinate of stock deal.

As far as the unions of the majors, they will renegotiate contracts with Tesla. They either decide to stick with dying majors and their organization structures, or transition to Tesla and negotiate a deal that works for them under the new electric car and solar&storage world. It will be a clean slate that they can start with a better outcome right away and consult with current Tesla employees as to the benefits and non-benefits of their working conditions and compensation. Also, technical and engineering training in EVs, solar, and energy storage will be very enticing as well. Employees of the majors can now have the opinion for long term career path security in the emerging mega industries. It will allow for mass transition without uncertainty of unemployment as ICE manufacturers downsize. Instead of worry, excitement of new long term stability could take hold. They have the option to join solar, energy storage, or vehicle etc., teams.

If it only makes sense to Tesla and shareholders, this will very much accelerate the transition to sustainable production and consumption. I think with an eventual road map for monopoly break up will also be required since at a certain point Tesla will provoke governments to determine it non-innovate and harmful to continued economic/social prosperity as structured. But this is far off, but nessessary to get governments further on board. I also think this could lead to governments focus on investment in road networks to upgrade for better vehicle AI safety as well as accelerate vehicle autonomy across the fleet.

As opposed to licensing, we as shareholders might be closer to getting full electrification through an eventual push for merger/acquisition deal with the majors for assets and employees/talent.

No matter how good your case for $1000/share is right now, it'll be a stronger case in 12 months.

In 12 months...
+ 500k+ deliveries
+ Full year FCF positive
+ Full year profitable
+ Substantial market share gain in China and world
+ Full ramp up of Model Y in Giga California
+ Full ramp up of Model 3 in Giga Shanghai
+ Build out of Model Y line at Giga Shanghai
+ Build out of Giga Berlin
+ Production start of Semi, maybe Cybertruck too
+ Battery tech advances
+ FSD tech advances
+ Initial development of GF5, Giga Texas perhaps
+ Scale up of Energy products
+++ MORE SURPRISES

+ What did I miss?

In 12 months we'll be able to look back and say, this is what Tesla in 2020, and $1000/share is well earned.

Now what's the justification for $1000/share today? That Tesla will accomplish these things this year.

$1000 in 2020, based on expectations
$1000 in 2021, based on results

Excellent List!
Perhaps by year-end we will hear more about the China Design Studio and more details on the potential China designed car for Worldwide consumption.
Elon Musk Announces Tesla Will Set Up Design Center in China
https://electrek.co/2020/01/16/tesla-new-design-drawing-announces-design-center-chinese-style-car/

Allright. Looks like short squeeze is over. We are operating on non short shares market.

Do you really believe shorts weren't piling on during yesterday's flash crash and this morning in the 800's? I would guess that short interest is building.

On the other hand, they have shown a love of selling low and buying high.:D

I almost sold a few shares at $960 yesterday, but I was 5 seconds too late... Now it's at 710 and dropping, maybe I should still sell but I feel like an idiot.

edit: ok sold a few shares at $710 and now it's headed back up, you can all thank me for the increase in price since stocks always go up right after I sell them ;)

Why is everyone disagreeing?

Because now is the time to buy, not sell. Or rather it will be the time time to buy after it starts bouncing up for real. It isn't even a bad time to buy now and dollar cost average down from here. That's a value investor perspective.

I realize that Tesla seems like a great stock to day trade in, but if you weren't able to pull the trigger and sell during the last two days of apparent short squeezing, and weren't able to pull the trigger first trade this morning when it was obvious that the stock was going to continue falling today, then maybe day trading isn't for you. Just some friendly advice.

Its is hard to know for sure. I think it is a combination of three things:
1) Very few investors are selling. The past few years of volatility and FUD led to a concentration of shares in the hands of investors who think the company is already worth far over $1,000.
2) Price discovery mode as new investors jump on board for fear of missing out (plus rush to hedge their fossil fuel assets) now that the FUD narrative has been drowned out and people are starting to believe in the Clean Energy transition.
3) Feedback loops from short covering (to maintain flat $ exposure) and delta hedging of call options (net delta exposure keeps increasing, in part due to higher deltas from higher price but also in part because short term traders are riding the momentum with leveraged calls and the corresponding delta hedging shares purchases drive up the price).

The most surprising thing is the lack of filings on new investors crossing 5% ownership thresholds.

I'll also note that the daily traded volume is very deceiving. Nowhere near to this many long term holders are selling out each day. The vast majority of volume is market making and short term delta hedging adjustments with the same shares changing hands over and over again.

Today's price moves increase my confidence in this interpretation.
Effective free float of investors willing to trade their shares has got far too small (both due to old investors holding very high price targets and with new long term investors jumping on board the clean energy transition), while the net delta exposure of the options market has got far too big. So prices moves in either direction rapidly spiral, amplified by the delta hedging change (both from higher/lower delta of each option as price rises/falls and with leveraged investors increasing exposure or taking profits in the options market and market maker's dumping their corresponding delta hedge shares).
This is again all amplified by a trend of buying options on Monday and taking profits through the week (particularly on Thursday and Friday ahead of weekly maturities). More investors have caught on to this trend so it becomes equivalent to a self reinforcing investor buy/sell technical signal.

If this is all the case, very high volatility is likely to continue.
And if investors took enough profit on Monday and Tuesday, they can boost the stock again significantly on Monday by buying options en masse again.

Last edited:
Because now is the time to buy, not sell. Or rather it will be the time time to buy after it starts bouncing up for real. It isn't even a bad time to buy now and dollar cost average down from here. That's a value investor perspective.

I realize that Tesla seems like a great stock to day trade in, but if you weren't able to pull the trigger and sell during the last two days of apparent short squeezing, and weren't able to pull the trigger first trade this morning when it was obvious that the stock was going to continue falling today, then maybe day trading isn't for you. Just some friendly advice.
Yea, I'm not much of a day trader. Guess I screwed up. If it drops more tomorrow I will buy some back, if not I only sold 3 shares for ~160% profit. I'm not a big time investor like some people here, I just took my $5k refund Tesla gave me last year and purchased their stock with it :) Wish I sold yesterday though, but no big deal I guess.

Last edited:

What else am I missing about short term catalysts?
Barring catastrophe, the thing I am most concerned about is political risk. There are few limits on what might trigger angry tweets. Similarly the Commerce, EPA and State Departments are all controlled by zealots who could create havoc. Those make me cautious. Nothing fundamentally does. Were GF-5 to go to Texas we might well see some changes in policy there, the second largest vehicle market in North America and by far the largest pickup/large SUV market. That would be wise, and would enhance the already strong SpaceX presence.

All of those could be major events this year.

I just got off the phone with one of my friends. I sold enough shares yesterday at 959, just minutes before the crash, to pay off my house. He called to ask me how I knew when to sell?!? I had to tell him I really had no idea. It just hit a number that I had in my head for a long time as a goal to pay off my house. If I knew it was going to drop, I would have sold all my shares and bought back in after this dip. When we hung up, I still don't think he believed me... ;)

No matter how good your case for $1000/share is right now, it'll be a stronger case in 12 months.

In 12 months...
+ 500k+ deliveries
+ Full year FCF positive
+ Full year profitable
+ Substantial market share gain in China and world
+ Full ramp up of Model Y in Giga California
+ Full ramp up of Model 3 in Giga Shanghai
+ Build out of Model Y line at Giga Shanghai
+ Build out of Giga Berlin
+ Production start of Semi, maybe Cybertruck too
+ Battery tech advances
+ FSD tech advances
+ Initial development of GF5, Giga Texas perhaps
+ Scale up of Energy products
+++ MORE SURPRISES

+ What did I miss?

In 12 months we'll be able to look back and say, this is what Tesla in 2020, and $1000/share is well earned.

Now what's the justification for $1000/share today? That Tesla will accomplish these things this year.

$1000 in 2020, based on expectations
$1000 in 2021, based on results
Continued rising of sea levels and hot summer temperatures making more people concerned about climate change.