Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Similar feeling here. But it is difficult to enter just before a weekend when one scary news may unleash more of this red ink into Monday...
Not sure if there is a typical pattern when fear goes into end of week trading.

I actually think thats good though. a weekend where people cannot trade, and the press will eventually talk itself out of all the excitement. The first time they get to unravel their exciting scrolling BREAKING NEWS with scary images of a scientists or a dude in a hazmat outfit...it gets clicks and views, but after day X people start wondering about the baseball scores or whats on netflix.

People bore quickly, and the constant OMG VIRUS headlines only draw heads for X days. 2 days of a closed market is exactly what we need to restore some long term thinking.

So..if that makes sense, monday should open definitely up, so I'd say the smart money buys at close today.

Similar feeling here. But it is difficult to enter just before a weekend when one scary news may unleash more of this red ink into Monday...
Not sure if there is a typical pattern when fear goes into end of week trading.
Remember, news can go either way. Shorts are also nervous to hold their positions over the weekend too.

1987 friday was big drop and then monday DJIA fell over 20% (black monday). Apparently during weekend people thought that first thing in Monday is to get the money and run.

You may be right but the difference this time is that we've now had 3 really down days in a row. So bad news has had time to be absorbed in the marketplace. Further, some very good companies have seen their stock prices go down 20-30%.

This may be viewed as a buying vs selling opportunity next week.

Not advice of course.

I believe it was @Curt Renz whose broker confirmed that they are not lending shares that have active sell orders?

I'm pretty sure this depends on the broker: they'd want to lend out shares from customers who are less likely to sell them, and an active sell limit order (irrespective of the limit price) might be part of the account sweeping heuristics that determines the amount of shares the broker lend out.

sell order not going to prevent your broker from utilizing up to 140% of your margin debit balance, should it be equitable to do so.

The boss who put everyone on 70K

Note the car they got for him. Stories like this show me how Tesla is becoming more and more mainstream.
We certainly need more Jesus stories this week
_111063327_dan2_976.jpg

Tl;dr: altruist boss got gifted a tesla because of his progressive views and selfless actions

sell order not going to prevent your broker from utilizing up to 140% of your margin debit balance, should it be equitable to do so.

brokers, by rule, can do whatever they want with up to 140% of your debit balance.

so, no matter what method, transaction, or series of transactions a trader finds their way into a debit balance, the broker can utilize up to 140% of portfolio securities to loan (pledge, hypothecate, re-hypothecate)

gtc orders have 0 impact on this.

generally, for reg-t margin, a short sale requires 30% of the collateral/margin requirement to maintain the short position.

if we go back to scenario of 50k cash used to buy 50k of stock, under reg-t i’ll have about 100k worth of buying power still.

i can use that to short another security. but i’ll need to maintain 30% of the total value of short in my remaining buying power. so i should be able to short about 35k worth of stk B

as soon as stock a goes down or stk b goes up, my maintenance requirement will increase and i’ll either be liquidated or margin called, depending on broker

the GTC thing is meaningless at IB. they don’t prevent the broker from loaning my shares, or liquidating any positions.

they cancel gtcs automatically when a security goes through a corporate action, or position transfer, etc.

the only way a broker can touch your shares is if you enter into margin debit or opt into fully paid lending.

if you enter into margin debit, they can utilize up to 140% value of that margin debit.

No question Consumer confidence and spending behavior are negatively impacted, this is an
Exogenous shock.

Of course , once the danger diminishes, confidence will be restored.

If the quarantines are effective, and the spread diminishes, normalcy
Should resume . If the Chinese military style quarantine is effective,
Their markets may lead the recovery.

Another possibility is an early vaccine, though the approval
Process is usually laborious.

Disclosure. Sold all yesterday at $700 before closing bell. Had 98% of all investments (other than my home) in TSLA.

Why? Four things happened yesterday which changed my position on COVID-19
- Advancement of confirmed cases in South Korea, Iran and Italy.
- Japan closing all schools affecting over $13 million children.
- My employer, large international firm with 90,000 employees, intruduced a travel restrictions, immediately, everywhere.
- Shut down of the Toronto Stock Exchange two hours early yesterday due to "glitch".

Unpresedented events call for unpresedented action. My position is to conserve wealth at the risk of losing future gains. If I'm losing sleep over my investments and it is negatively affecting my health and behaviour, than for me I know it is time to sell. Noted above, putting all my eggs in one basket also carries risks which I am no longer willing to take. Plan to reenter TSLA as they will come out on top of the auto, transport, solar and battery storage and grid management. And Elon securing $2B just days ago to shore up their balance sheet was brilliant. However I do believe there will be a resetting of the economy to a lower level across the board and it may take some time to store confidence. I'm guessing it will take three to six months to get COVID-19 in control, hopefully less, potentially more. The World economy will be negatively affected until then. One tree, many leaves (EPIC).

The last time I sold was in May 2019, for $220 and bough back a few months later at $300. Also had sold years ago at $180 buying back in at $330. So my track record sucks, although I'm o'k with my actions. Lucky to have discover Tesla in 2012 and start buying at $30. Most are not that lucky. My other sold periods were for reasons specific to Tesla. This time I'm fully at peace with Tesla, but selling for reasons outside of Tesla's control.

I look at you all here on TMC as my friends over the last eight years. Read almost every post on this thread and will continue to do so. Wishing you all happiness, good health and prosperity. God bless.

Edit - added my forth reason above
I think its all about managing your risk and position size that you are comfortable with.
I'm guessing that you sold at 700 with profits..
are you thinking about buying back if TSLA drop down to certain price?

Reactions: oldTAVguy
March will be a tough month for the markets.

Multiple companies will most likely have to warn.

Estimates will ratchet down.

Tesla should be safe with the model Y rollout stoking demand. Risks include parts shortage, factory closing, recession.

Nobody needs to buy a car today. That's very bad for car manufacturers. Ford is in huge trouble.

What I've been thinking is that the Corona-related market downturn will in some way 'help' TSLA Q1.

Before the markets were scared of COVID-19 and Tesla was taking ATH after ATH (we're talking just a few weeks ago), the main worry stopping the stock to keep climbing was "we'll have to get the uncertain Q1 out of the way before it will get better and better" (april's battery day, Q2 and most importantly Q3 and Q4 which Elon said should be amazing).

Now that Tesla is down 35% from it's ATH the Q1 worry is no more.

Q1 ER hopefully will show investors:
- that TSLA had a great quarter despite COVID-19;
- that TSLA performed better relative to other OEMS in times of global crisis;
- that TSLA is largely unaffected by COVID-19 and demand remains higher than production.

The above seems quite logical to me, but not to the current irrational markets. They have to see hard numbers before being able to reason. (And even then it's a stretch).

Therefore, I'm now quite bullish on Q1 ER (and P&D report actually) in relation to the current SP, instead of being on the fence about it when we were at ATH.

What I've been thinking is that the Corona-related market downturn will in some way 'help' TSLA Q1.

Before the markets were scared of COVID-19 and Tesla was taking ATH after ATH (we're talking just a few weeks ago), the main worry stopping the stock to keep climbing was "we'll have to get the uncertain Q1 out of the way before it will get better and better" (april's battery day, Q2 and most importantly Q3 and Q4 which Elon said should be amazing).

Now that Tesla is down 35% from it's ATH the Q1 worry is no more.

Q1 ER hopefully will show investors:
- that TSLA had a great quarter despite COVID-19;
- that TSLA performed better relative to other OEMS in times of global crisis;
- that TSLA is largely unaffected by COVID-19 and demand remains higher than production.

The above seems quite logical to me, but not to the current irrational markets. They have to see hard numbers before being able to reason. (And even then it's a stretch).

Therefore, I'm now quite bullish on Q1 ER (and P&D report actually) in relation to the current SP, instead of being on the fence about it when we were at ATH.

My only concern is that if people have their brokerage accounts down 30-50%, they'd hesitate a bit more on a 50k car unless they really needed it.

Not trying spread FUD, just my observation. We know better that this virus is not that deadly and long term impact will be mild if people just act rationally. However, people are anything but rational. They don't care about statistics. All they care about is more countries = bad. We're just getting to countries that have very poor health control. Kuwait and Nigeria? There will be more in the coming days as their government is forced to disclose. I laughed when it was reported that Vietnam cured all 16 patients. As a Vietnamese myself (I was pretty pissed when my Asian driver joke got deleted due to racial slur), I knew how the government loves to lie and dress themselves pretty. The number of cases in Vietnam just exploded to over 90 overnight!! I'm still holding long term but we need to be prepared for the ineffective governments around the world to come out and admit they have a problem. We only have 50 countries now. We have a long way to go. The fear has not peaked yet. It will only peak when there is 100+ countries on the list and people begin to accept this as the new normal.

brokers, by rule, can do whatever they want with up to 140% of your debit balance.

so, no matter what method, transaction, or series of transactions a trader finds their way into a debit balance, the broker can utilize up to 140% of portfolio securities to loan (pledge, hypothecate, re-hypothecate)

gtc orders have 0 impact on this.

generally, for reg-t margin, a short sale requires 30% of the collateral/margin requirement to maintain the short position.

if we go back to scenario of 50k cash used to buy 50k of stock, under reg-t i’ll have about 100k worth of buying power still.

i can use that to short another security. but i’ll need to maintain 30% of the total value of short in my remaining buying power. so i should be able to short about 35k worth of stk B

as soon as stock a goes down or stk b goes up, my maintenance requirement will increase and i’ll either be liquidated or margin called, depending on broker

the GTC thing is meaningless at IB. they don’t prevent the broker from loaning my shares, or liquidating any positions.

they cancel gtcs automatically when a security goes through a corporate action, or position transfer, etc.

the only way a broker can touch your shares is if you enter into margin debit or opt into fully paid lending.

if you enter into margin debit, they can utilize up to 140% value of that margin debit.

True, nevertheless a brokerage may determine that it's risky to lend shares having a GTC sell order. It can become an unwritten internal risk aversion rule for the brokerage. An agent at my large brokerage affirmed this is the case there.

1987 friday was big drop and then monday DJIA fell over 20% (black monday). Apparently during weekend people thought that first thing in Monday is to get the money and run.
But now communications are instant with exponentially more information and opportunity for a government, market makers, and many others with defacto power to influence the economy via social media on a minute's notice.

• Helpful
Reactions: Krugerrand
There are possible treatments using existing drugs, check the Cornoavirus thread.

Have to be very careful with choice of words when it comes to medicine/science. Just so others don’t get the wrong idea.....there is no possible treatment being discussed in the paper from reddit, which that poster over in the cov thread is referencing. That paper is about explaining a similarity in one entry mechanism common with SARS by the Cov virus as demonstrated in-vitro. This just means that a potential target for a therapeutic is found.

FYI, there hasn’t even been a treatment commercialized for the SARS strain from way back then.

You may be right but the difference this time is that we've now had 3 really down days in a row. So bad news has had time to be absorbed in the marketplace. Further, some very good companies have seen their stock prices go down 20-30%.

This may be viewed as a buying vs selling opportunity next week.

Not advice of course.

Unless you’re outlook is a very long hold, I would be hesitant to start a new position today and hold over the weekend. Look what happened last Friday holding onto Monday. Furthermore, there’s a likely drop if Bernie does well on Tuesday.
My $0.02.