Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Walter MacVane‏ @EcoHeliGuy
Walter MacVane Retweeted Will Fealey ⚡

Actively self-charging public image.

Walter MacVane added,

Will Fealey ⚡ @WillFealey
Toyota is now actively deleting negative comments on their recent 'Self Charging Hybrid' adverts on social media where people are calling them out for promoting fossil fuel powered cars in a positive light against EVs, mine was live for less than 2 minutes
Show this thread
5:12 PM - 14 Feb 2019
Walter MacVane on Twitter
Their YouTube comments are still there and are brutal and hilarious..

Reactions: lklundin
Something I don't understand about Rivian. Their entry-level truck with a 105kWh battery pack and 4 motors starts at $69,000. That price does not seem to be realistic. They plan to sell their higher-end truck with a 180kWh battery pack first. I wonder how many people will buy a truck that is going to be at least $100k.

It's easy to announce products with amazing price Targets. Tesla originally advertised the S as a 50k car. Rivian's actual prices will probably disappoint if they make it to the point of production.

That said I do think Tesla's truck offering will probably start at 100k, at-least if it has the things that Elon has teased about.

Clarification: the option exists, but he claims it doesn't affect some data collection when navigation is active. You'd think someone that technical would consider the possibility that it's a bug....
...and, bug or not, is implicitly a GDPR violation. For those who are blissfully ignorant of the details, the highly condensed version is that you must document everything you collect, why you collect, what it is used for, etc. And it requires informed consent. To an extent it is a paperwork exercise, but at least on the surface it has serious teeth and should not be taken lightly.

If his loosely tossed around accusations have an actual basis they should be reported. The fact that they aren't might indicate laziness (its easier to post something on twitter than actually do something about it) or it might indicate exaggeration and mischaracterization.

...and, bug or not, is implicitly a GDPR violation. For those who are blissfully ignorant of the details, the highly condensed version is that you must document everything you collect, why you collect, what it is used for, etc. And it requires informed consent. To an extent it is a paperwork exercise, but at least on the surface it has serious teeth and should not be taken lightly.

If his loosely tossed around accusations have an actual basis they should be reported. The fact that they aren't might indicate laziness (its easier to post something on twitter than actually do something about it) or it might indicate exaggeration and mischaracterization.

My first thought when reading that portion of the thread was the CCPA -- the recently-passed California privacy law (California Consumer Privacy Act) -- that mirrors the GDPR in many ways. So they'd be subject to violations not only in Europe, but California as well, for undertaking the alleged practices (which are almost certainly false).

• Informative
Reactions: humbaba
f-150.PNG
It's easy to announce products with amazing price Targets. Tesla originally advertised the S as a 50k car. Rivian's actual prices will probably disappoint if they make it to the point of production.

That said I do think Tesla's truck offering will probably start at 100k, at-least if it has the things that Elon has teased about.
I think Tesla truck base will be 60K. Fully loaded 90K.
Nothing to base this on other than Tesla wanting to be competitive in the space. Model 3 is roughly the price (or cheaper) than BMW 3 series. Tesla will target Ford F150 but the higher end trims.

Interesting. Makes me wonder about his source. If its just reverse engineering that is cool and all, but limited in the insights it can give. I also notice he waffles a bit, suggesting at one point that no one at Tesla looks at the data, and later acknowledging that they do. He also backs off his claim about lack of utility. He also says that Tesla lies about the nature of their data collection and that they do not allow opting out. Both of those are fairly serious claims that he does not appear to have anything to support. In fact, Tesla just made a reference to their data collection in a statement to a regulatory agency. If there was anything to these allegations they should be reported to a regulatory authority rather than spreading baseless rumors. The EU would also take quite the exception to unauthorized/undocumented data collection. If there was real data behind the allegation report it as a GDPR violation.

While I appreciate the detailed information it appears to need a grain of salt to go with it. All of the unsubstantiated negative comments betray a bias which, without the supporting data, make it difficult to tell how much has been (deliberately or not) made to fit the bias.

I’ve been following him for a while; his data can generally be trusted. His source is largely himself(though he also has sources for some other firmware files, including early access ones), via getting root permissions on his car and gaining access to a lot of the internal systems. He’s a member here and used to have a Model X, which was actually returned via lemon law. As I remember, he ended up buying another Tesla, but don’t remember the model.

He’s been working closely with a lot of the other big names around here(BigD0g, jimmy_d, etc) and is the source for most of the “what autopilot sees” videos that make the rounds every once in a while.

I’d also note he never claimed the data wasn’t used or usable, just that he couldn’t see whether it’s used(he has access to his car, but not Tesla’s corporate servers/systems). There’s circumstantial evidence that it might be used in that they change the campaigns to target very specific events, suggesting someone probably cares about seeing it.

TL/DR, it’s always possible he’s made mistakes somewhere, but he generally provides good data.

Something that I've never read anywhere in the media or financial pages (but is probably buried previously in this thread) is that the 920 million in convertibles if broken down into gross sales of $50k Model 3s is....18400 cars or probably a little over 3 weeks of production. So what they've put on the ships would probably cover it. (Yes I know they have the cash already.)

SHORTSVILLE TIMES: $TSLA ONE TYPHOON AWAY FROM BANKWUPTCY!
;)
The calculation should be based on the margin per vehicle, not the sales price. That calculation results in a very different result...

The calculation should be based on the margin per vehicle, not the sales price. That calculation results in a very different result...

So if I have a loan for $15, what I make costs me $10 but I've already covered that expense with existing cash, and then I sell it for $15 I don't still have the full amount to pay the loan? I wasn't even close to saying there is 100% profit margin on Model 3, but then I suspect you know that.

Reactions: Tslynk67
A little off-topic here, but goes to the Model 3's entry to Germany and the general perception in Europe's biggest economy where Tesla is still woefully underrepresented.

I've been following the German car magazine reviews and some new videos are popping up now that deliveries have started. I would describe the traditional journalists' reviews as grudgingly acknowledging the cars strength, but you can almost feel their pain. Nothing shows this more, then the fact that there is always an "aber" (but) which is usually sort of a little lie to make the local car industry look a little better.

Exhibit #1 is the video below by ADAC, which I guess is one of the biggest car "clubs" in Europe and is kind of an "institution". When they test cars, tires, safety, etc, people in Europe usually take notice.

Anyway, in the video, they acknowledge all the Model 3's strengths and is a surprisingly positive review, aber... and then comes the bullsugar:
  1. They claim it sells for EUR 60k "with a few extras", which is technically true, but is quite an odd way to put a car's price by selecting random undisclosed extras. That's why we normally reference the base price (would be EUR 56k for the Model 3) when we compare. Well turns out, they probably only did that to be able to say, that due to the high price "it competes more with the Jaguar I-Pace, Audi e-tron and Mercedes EQC", which...
  2. Is a triple lie for you. The I-Pace and the e-tron start at EUR 80k and the Mercedes won't even start production for 6 months. Plus all these are SUVs so how are they the same class as the Model 3? Just because there is no real (German) competition?
  3. They say the Model 3's base price is far from the promised 35k, which is kinda fair, aber... They say that with reference to the VW ID which is "going to be EUR 25-30k". The ID is a car the size of the Polo or the Golf (in best case) so at least 1 class below the 3 even if you ignore VW is a mainstream brand and Tesla is premium. (Even if opinions vary on that). But the biggest dishonesty in this is that the base Model 3 is only about 4 months way in the US and should start selling in Europe probably no more than a quarter later, so still within 2019. The ID will come out in 2020. So somehow the ID is a winner in this comparison even though you'll probably have to wait like 6 moths for it after the Model 3 SR is already out.
PS: to his credit, the actual reviewer is quite fair and even says the Model 3 is setting the bar for cars that the German automotive industry hasn't even started manufacturing yet. He gets it. But the voice-over (editors?) try to downplay this and raise doubt.

Our German friends here should feel free to let me know if my German is not good enough and I am making up these subtle negativities and lies in the video.