Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Excellent, thank you. Confirms some things I was thinking. Since you’re involved in this, how up to date is it? As I remember a while back, Tesla started locking you guys out of certain systems. Still an issue, or only preventing people who didn’t already have access from getting it?
this is current as of today. Tesla definitely hates people peeking under the cover so they do try to thwart these research efforts actively which is rather unfortunate.

The good news is - they have not been successful in this yet. Hopefully we can stay on top for awhile longer.

Something that I've never read anywhere in the media or financial pages (but is probably buried previously in this thread) is that the 920 million in convertibles if broken down into gross sales of $50k Model 3s is....18400 cars or probably a little over 3 weeks of production. So what they've put on the ships would probably cover it. (Yes I know they have the cash already.)

SHORTSVILLE TIMES: $TSLA ONE TYPHOON AWAY FROM BANKWUPTCY!
;)
I would be very surprised if these shipments are not insured

this is current as of today. Tesla definitely hates people peeking under the cover so they do try to thwart these research efforts actively which is rather unfortunate.

The good news is - they have not been successful in this yet. Hopefully we can stay on top for awhile longer.

Thanks. Sorry for dragging you into this thread, but seemed relevant given the claims about shadow driving.

The only reason I can think of for why they keep citing it is as a gross oversimplification of what they’re doing. I can see how, to the public, such a system would be good, but to me it’s never made sense why you would waste precious processing time running a phantom network on the car itself vs just uploading select data and running unlimited numbers of experiments on it. I still suspect real “shadow driving” is happening on Tesla’s servers against the “campaign” data(and certainly on any crashes while AP is active).

The data collection despite not accepting it worries me.

PS: to his credit, the actual reviewer is quite fair and even says the Model 3 is setting the bar for cars that the German automotive industry hasn't even started manufacturing yet. He gets it. But the voice-over (editors?) try to downplay this and raise doubt.

I'd still say this video is a huge plus if they are only griping about pricing, the first thing most European car buyers will do is to check base prices, options prices, bundling and availability.

It's the subjective impression (good car / bad car) that has a bigger influence.

"Uuuurrrghh.... what's happening to me....."
"Why am I suddenly.... suspicious of parking lots ....?"
"Something something.... fraud ....?"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Bitten by a radioactive Mark Spiegel!

hqdefault.jpg

Mild-mannered TSLA bull KarenRei has become... Temporary Bear!

bear_avatar3.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry guys ;) No, I'm not actually turning into a bear, but I did liquidate my high-leverage calls and buy a small put stake.... something I plan to immediately reverse on Tuesday. I'm just too worried about the market reaction to the EU report this weekend. Maybe I'm wrong. If so, that'll teach me ;) But... well, here I am hoping that nothing really good, like a Model Y announcement or whatnot, happens this weekend!

Last edited:
But what are those two MR’s doing in Norway? US specced demo cars?

More then like imported LR RWD. They are showing as MR because the site assumes all RWD are MR because nor LR RWD are sold there. The imported LR RWDs would have been registered at some point so that is causing the confusion.

You will notice that they are more then likely the only 2 2018s that have been registered.

OT - Sorry mods, wanting to target the investor peeps here, but not the TMC forums at large.
Any of you going to the March 2nd Space X launch of the unmanned Dragon module? I plan on attending, send me a PM if you're going to go, so we can possibly chat in person while at the event. :)

View attachment 377642
I think Tesla truck base will be 60K. Fully loaded 90K.
Nothing to base this on other than Tesla wanting to be competitive in the space. Model 3 is roughly the price (or cheaper) than BMW 3 series. Tesla will target Ford F150 but the higher end trims.
I wouldn't be surprised if the base starts at $90k - perhaps more. Sounds like it is going to be something special (and niche). If the MY base is around $45k, $60k would look very cheap.

I guess you took some loses doing that?
Btw, what are the puts you grabbed?

Actually timed it pretty well - the puts were bought near the end of the day, and I did a pretty good job of selling at the highs.

The puts are 22 Feb $300s.

ED: Live from the White House: the report has been delivered. Hasn't been disclosed yet what's in it.

• Informative
Reactions: shlokavica22
Last edited:
VW no longer seems to be as bullish on hydrogen (they used to be hardcore hydrogen bulls). Toyota and Honda keep dreaming of a hydrogen future, however.

The last thing VW did with hydrogen was a weird crossover where they made an EV charger powered by hydrogen :Þ

hydrogen_fuel_cell_charger.jpg

"Designed for supermarkets, sports venues and stadiums, CH2ARGE systems would be supplied with hydrogen by tankers, in much the same way petrol and diesel is distributed now. The tank contained within each unit could provide up to 140 charges before needing to be refilled."

This concept could be used by doctors as a reflex test for EV owners. "Good, you facepalmed - your reflexes are fine!" ;)
This would be an almost not terrible solution for when you need to drop in an emergency charging station (i.e. due to natural disaster) except that Hydrogen being such a pain to source, distribute, and refill, even if it still managed to be greener it would make more sense to just dump a nice big "efficient" (relative to car sized ICE) diesel genset in a crate instead.

As a standalone charging system for regular use, it's kind of silly.

Though someone pointed out the idea of using off-peak solar/wind to generate H2 and then store for later conversion to charge EVs, I suspect that while you could in theory build large hydrogen "batteries" this way, I'm not sure how economical it would be, at least with the current state of fuel cell technology. As I understand it the membranes of fuel cells have a limited lifetime ...