Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would LOVE to see Tesla reverse course and embrace using EVs to stabilize the grid. And eventually boost renewable adoption via technologies such as V2H. (And maybe even V2G someday, if it ever comes to that). This is by far the best approach for society, even if it may not be the best approach for Tesla's Energy division.
Would be interesting for Tesla and a homebuilder to create a community of ~50 homes to test this. Each home would be constructed specifically for this purpose and come with a Tesla vehicle with the proper battery. Maybe they also come with Solar roofs as well (don't know if that would skew the results).

I have a friend whom I trust that has a Model Y reservation, as do I. He got a phone call this morning inviting him to attend a Model Y event in Vegas this Saturday. He can't go. I can find no confirmation that anything is happening this weekend, but his is the last day of Feb with deliveries expected in March. Interesting........

Has this been confirmed? Doesn´t look like, haven´t read anything more about it.

Highly recommend.

Another idea that haven't been properly digested is this:
840144b505b7ba120c92cd1b0b3437e6.jpg

Effectively means - that tesla cars (with the new to be announced chemistry) can double as decentralized Hornsdale batteries.

Hornsdale big battery doubles savings to consumers, and keeps lights on | RenewEconomy
"Neoen on Friday released a report by energy consultancy Aurecon on the Hornsdale Power Reserve – which at 100MW and 129MWh remains the biggest lithium-ion battery in the world – and found that the money it saved consumers in 2019 jumped to $116 million, from $40 million in 2018."

Assuming 70kwh/car - that's equivalent to 1843 cars pr Hornsdale battery.
Well if the Hornsdale battery could save customers 116m$ in 2019.... and it takes 1843 cars to equal a decentralized Hornsdale battery... well, you do the math.

Let's just say - I'm excited for battery day.
Hmm, many other batteries are also coming into this space and take a big bite of of these excess earnings. When grid batteries are competing with each other the profitability will fall to normal rates of return. There might not be that much upside left for V2G. Nevertheless, your point is well taken. Tesla has huge opportunity to supply the market with batteries. And until there is a huge abundance of batteries tied to the grid, the economics are enormously compelling.

It is abundantly clear that up to the present moment the grids of the world have substantially under invested in battery storage, even at yesterday's prices. I believe the fossil oriented culture in the power industry has been systematically blind to the potential that has been there for years. This too is why Hornsdale is able to make extraordinarily high profits. It should have been built several years earlier at much higher cost!

At any rate the walls are starting to tumble now. For the next five years, growth can be extraordinary. It come down to who can ramp up the supply quickly. Cost reductions are a secondary concern. I too am eager to see what Tesla has in store for battery day. Anything that speeds up the roll out of production capacity is a near term win.

Speaking of FSD, how much of the $7000 can Tesla realize right away?
They haven't said, but I think it's pretty high. They don't have to deliver what normal people would consider "Full Self Driving" any more. They now describe FSD in terms of features -- NOA, lane change, stop sign recognition, etc. They've delivered four of six listed features so far, by that theory they'd recognize 2/3rds of the $7000. I'd guess they actually recognize a bit less currently -- around half of the $7000.

They can't recognize much of the old FSD revenue yet, since they described it differently.

From The Economist, February 27, 2020:
"A broad guess is that 25-70% of the population of any infected country may catch the disease. China’s experience suggests that, of the cases that are detected, roughly 80% will be mild, 15% will need treatment in hospital and 5% will require intensive care. Experts say that the virus may be five to ten times as lethal as seasonal flu, which, with a fatality rate of 0.1%, kills 60,000 Americans in a bad year. Across the world, the death toll could be in the millions."
The virus is coming
(may be paywalled)

The Economist, ah? Okay. I am petrified. NOT
I trust The Onion more.

I would LOVE to see Tesla reverse course and embrace using EVs to stabilize the grid. And eventually boost renewable adoption via technologies such as V2H. (And maybe even V2G someday, if it ever comes to that). This is by far the best approach for society, even if it may not be the best approach for Tesla's Energy division.

The very first Tesla prototypes had a 20kW grid tied inverter.

Looks like vert strict quarantine/isolation China practiced has helped curb spreading.
China's authoritarian regime worked out for them there. No other country on Earth could have just quarantined 100 million people like China did. China was able to control their outbreak, now what about the rest of the world? Let's put democracy to the test against authoritarianism here I guess.

China's authoritarian regime worked out for them there. No other country on Earth could have just quarantined 100 million people like China did. China was able to control their outbreak, now what about the rest of the world? Let's put democracy to the test against authoritarianism here I guess.

Italy quarantined the affected towns. Turns out public health emergencies trump civil rights, as they should.

China was different in that an unknown disease was spreading in an unsuspecting populace for up to a month, and when it was discovered the response was slow and there was a coverup. This gave it a lot of time to spread unchecked.

Rest of the world is forewarned, there are tests and diagnoses, which might make a bigger difference than authoritarian measures.

I thought the conspiracy theorist claimed China was giving out fake stats, but actually millions were infected and hundreds of thousands dead..hence why the government moved mountains to get it quarantined.
Irrespective of what conspiracy theorists claim - the question is what does this mean for US - where 27 Million are uninsured and wouldn't see a doctor unless close to dying (and then only go to ER). Only thing that works here is self-quarantine since draconian measures like what they did in China is not possible here (like welding the front door and windows of an apartment complex shut if a case is detected).

We can all just hope the infection is not that contagious in US.

We should watch what happens in South Korea, Japan and Italy carefully.

Wondering whether the Chinese central bank will sit tight after this PMI drop:

Worst print in 15 years and kind of expected considering that half of China started working only after February 10, the other half on February 17.

Car industry hard hit:

"The PMI for industries, including chemical fiber and automobiles, were below 30, while that for food and beverages stayed above 42, supported by the government's production and supply guarantee polices."​

But Tesla's supply chain exposure to Wuhan and surrounding provinces is lowest among the China based carmakers.

This bit is a positive note:

"As of Feb. 25, the work resumption rate in NBS surveyed large and mid-sized enterprises nationwide has reached 78.9 percent, and it is expected to climb to 90.8 percent by the end of March, according to the NBS."​

This is good even if we discount it a bit,
I saw estimates as low as 30%.

Last edited:
Irrespective of what conspiracy theorists claim - the question is what does this mean for US - where 27 Million are uninsured and wouldn't see a doctor unless close to dying (and then only go to ER). Only thing that works here is self-quarantine since draconian measures like what they did in China is not possible here (like welding the front door and windows of an apartment complex shut if a case is detected).

We can all just hope the infection is not that contagious in US.

We should watch what happens in South Korea, Japan and Italy carefully.
I don't want to be too alarmist about the unpreparedness of the US but this article isn't giving me a lot of cause for optimism.
WHO raises global coronavirus alert as US faceplants

Wondering whether the Chinese central bank will sit tight after this PMI drop:

Worst print in 15 years and kind of expected considering that half of China started working only after February 10, the other half on February 17.

Car industry hard hit:

"The PMI for industries, including chemical fiber and automobiles, were below 30, while that for food and beverages stayed above 42, supported by the government's production and supply guarantee polices."​

But Tesla's supply chain exposure to Wuhan and surrounding provinces is lowest among the China based carmakers.
Why bother? They can snap their fingers and make manufacturing volume increase. No need to juice anything.