Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
whats this.jpg
The only way a pilot can remotely pilot a jet fighter in real time combat missions is with fast, low latency network connections. Starlink. Watch for deal with Air Force and Starlink for big $$$$ if they buy into the story. Mars funding secured...
If they can build software/hardware to make a car navigate complicated traffic in city streets...then surely the same tech stack could be used for fighter jets. Or, autonomous supply convoys/individual vehicles that would free up a soldier from driving to being able to shoot at things.

Is there a good estimate for the re-use of parts between 3 and Y? I'm guessing its very high. Just realizing that if they get the predictions wrong in terms of 3/Y demand, then I guess a lot of parts can just be used on the other line, meaning that they can order or produce in even greater bulk, and have greater economies of scale.
Do we know idf the steering wheel / screen in the Y is identical to the 3? the seats?

Yes, and I had a response to that too.

You haven't provided any evidence that any of the naked short selling was done on down-ticks. Not your fault because so information isn't readily available. It is certainly possible that some or most of it could have been on downticks but then again all of it could also have been done on upticks. We don't know. A market maker would surely have the technology to always be at the lowest ask that doesn't cross the market and thus sell into any uptick that comes along.

I don't see how an illegal short sale on a downtick would "enable" other short selling. The illegal sale would result in another downtick which provides no opening for a public customer to short on that downtick.
Suppose price is at $660. Illegal short seller sells at $650. Now all the other shorts can sell at $651, on an "uptick" that is nevertheless $9 less than the price would otherwise have been.

Has anyone noticed that 15th of March is Sunday, so it is very much possible that there will be an official Y event.
Can’t sell cars in a lot of states on Sunday. Hoping for March 14th, anniversary of unveiling event. Have a text from someone here in Chicago, first time Tesla buyer expecting delivery in next 3 weeks. LR AWD FSD. I’m almost as excited as he is.

Waiting on the media picking up the Model Y first deliveries.

Have any happened yet? I'm anxiously awaiting to see as I'm on the list and I'd love to actually get a better look at what I'm buying. I sure hope Tesla gets models into the stores quickly this time as it seems most people I've spoken with don't even have a clue what a Model Y is.

Cheers to the longs

Nice! There was significantly increased net short covering in the first half of February, with nearly twice the average number of net shares covered -- enough to actually lower the total value at risk. In a couple of weeks when we get Feb 28 short interest I expect there to have been a large surge in net shares shorted, though with the significant drop in share price it might be accomplished without increasing the value at risk.

View attachment 515720
I was looking at this again and there were 4,367,270 net shares covered in the first half of February. Even if all of those had been initiated at the closing price of January ($650.57) and covered at the lowest close before the 14th that would be a loss of $411 million. Now, I didn't look at intraday prices to find the highest and lowest prices, but I find it unlikely that in aggregate the shorts could mini/max it beyond that. Naturally, some shorts (Andrew Left) who initiated positions on the 4th could have made some money by closing out on the 5th. But that also assumes they lacked confidence in driving the price lower and it wasn't until after the 26th that prices came down again -- after 4 million shares of net covering.

It gives me a bit of a smile to contemplate that, but odds are pretty good that shares shorted took another big jump up after the second rise to $900 and if they covered Friday could have made over $200 per share from shorting and it would not show up in the official figures. It is, however, strongly indicated by the data @Artful Dodger has posted.

Which means, sadly, that $TSLA remains a profitable short for those that can manipulate the market and aren't too greedy. Here's to a return to the 900s and hoping it doesn't get undercut by shorts again.

So when Tesla announced March deliveries, conventional wisdom here on TMC was that they'd be pushing out maybe a few dozen units at the end of the quarter, as part of a "Delivery event", like they did it with the Model 3 back in 2017 or the MIC Model 3 in December in China. I.e. enough units to get the ball rolling, but not in meaningful volumes.

But they seem to have a different plan for the Model Y: these unit counts are a lot higher than just early deliveries, which means that Model Y deliveries could already make a meaningful contribution to the Q1 results, and maybe even generate some margins, above break-even?

This could also explain why they expanded invitations beyond Performance versions, if they have some real production volume to work with they'd want as many deliveries in the final two weeks of March, as close to the factory as possible.
FWIW. I took a tour last week and the Y line was there, but _during_ the tour it wasn't working. There was a lot of work on the outside, and some work on the inside line. So not full swing production yet, if I would have to guess. As to speed of assembly line, could nor gauge that for M3, nor production volume questions could be answered, but i would have to guess around 7.5 cm/s for MX/S.

This was posted in a local EV fb group Friday. A member was visiting family in Mountain View CA and spotted this Model Y in the apartment complex parking lot. I assume it's owned by a Tesla employee. View attachment 517069

If it's a Cali car, it should have plates on the front. I don't see any, and thus I'd bet it's still manufacturer's plates, and not a personal car.

• Helpful
Reactions: Artful Dodger