Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Citation? All I can see is that they continue to push forward with even more LIDAR! I mean, way to double down after Elon threw down the gauntlet. Why settle for one top mounted LIDAR unit when you can have four more corner mounted LIDAR? And 360 radar. And cameras. But no ultrasonics, I guess the corner mounted LIDAR are supposed to handle that need.

Somehow it doesn't feel like their FSD package is getting cheaper and, given the poor airflow from the all the external mounting, only intended for intracity traffic. While it might work as a cab replacement its higher upfront costs would seem to be a disadvantage.

Sounds more like they're lacking in quality and decided to try quantity instead..
29 Cameras, seriously?

Tesla Closes $200 Billion Gap to Top Boeing By Market Value

Tesla Closes $200 Billion Gap to Top Boeing By Market Value

"Boeing is just the latest manufacturing stalwart and industry bellwether to be elbowed aside by the maker of the Model 3 sedan. The achievement is a particularly satisfying one for Chief Executive Officer Elon Musk, who competes in the rocket-launch sector with another of his companies, Space Exploration Technologies Corp."

There's probably some space in the packs to add a few extra cells to make up for the difference.

That being said, we don't know that LG and CATL aren't going to be supplying using Tesla's chemistry. Do we?

From the other answers, it seems LG and CATL will use their own chemistries.

But I wonder, I would not be surprised if a different arrangement is made - for it is not just a matter of range (which can be fixed by having a larger but less energy dense battery), but there is also speed of charging, number of discharges before capacity drops significantly and perhaps other properties where the Tesla/Panasonic battery excells.

Battery day really can not come soon enough :)

Tesla is holding up 100% because of the factory tweet last night. Companies can talk all they want about how much demand they're seeing, but building new factories proves it. Tesla is building factories as fast as they can while all the other auto makers are shrinking.

The other potentially big Tesla news today I haven't seen mentioned here yet is that apparently FSD City Navigation is already being tested in shadow mode on the recently released 2020.8.1 firmware:

Third Row Podcast on Twitter

"2020.8.1 has code running in shadow mode to validate city streets driving"​

If true and they release it in some form then gaining more FSD deferred revenue might boost Q1 results ... and with Waymo retreating from the consumer market any FSD advance brings Tesla closer to $10,000+ FSD valuation levels.

I have the impression that there was a fair amount of accumulation of TSLA shares today, skillfully hidden behind the macro drop. Could be wrong about it though, so not advice.

Last edited:
From the other answers, it seems LG and CATL will use their own chemistries.

But I wonder, I would not be surprised if a different arrangement is made - for it is not just a matter of range (which can be fixed by having a larger but less energy dense battery), but there is also speed of charging, number of discharges before capacity drops significantly and perhaps other properties where the Tesla/Panasonic battery excells.

Battery day really can not come soon enough :)

The Tesla/Panasonic chemistry is several years old now and LG and CATL look to have caught up with chemistry that is close on most metrics, but likely less energy dense.
Tesla's battery strategy is software first which makes them flexible to different chemistries and even cell designs.

The LG and CATL deals were likely just the best option to ramp supply quickly and cheaply for MIC in China.

Tesla's more exciting new battery tech will be put it to its own in-house cells and should be revealed very soon now.

Last edited:
There is a reasonable chance that at some point in the next month or so Tesla will have to temporarily shut down its Fremont factory due to CV. We are seeing lots of companies doing this and having their workers work from home (which a factory cannot do of course).

With our pooled knowledge and research, I wonder if we would be able to anticipate such a move a few days in advance based on surrounding companies and CV cases in the area. It could be quite lucrative to buy some short-term puts in advance, sell them when the inevitable SP drop overreaction happens, and then use the profits (and any dry powder saved) to scoop up cheap shares before the SP recovers.

Normally I am not a fan of timing the market, but this is a binary action that would definitely drop the SP if it happens.

The other potentially big Tesla news today I haven't seen mentioned here yet is that apparently FSD City Navigation is already being tested in shadow mode on the recently released 2020.8.1 firmware:

If true and they release it in some form then gaining more FSD deferred revenue might boost Q1 results ... and with Waymo retreating from the consumer market any FSD advance brings Tesla closer to $10,000+ FSD valuation levels.

I there was a fair amount of accumulation of TSLA shares today, skillfully hidden behind the macro drop. Could be wrong about it though, so not advice.
I got the 2020.8.1 update last night. (May 2018 Model 3 VIN 19xxx with EAP and FSD).

I don't see how it can avoid getting worse. We are just starting to see effects here in the US.
As interesting as it's been to see the first real hardcore algo-downturn, the bottom might be even more interesting. I think buying low is more important to a computer than selling high.

These algos were well out in front of this downturn and 2/3 to 3/4 of it is probably priced in. We need to drop a bit more, and maybe flatten for a period, but I don't see how it could get MUCH worse considering the amount of cash circling around with literally nowhere to land.

• Informative
Reactions: GOVA
There is a reasonable chance that at some point in the next month or so Tesla will have to temporarily shut down its Fremont factory due to CV. We are seeing lots of companies doing this and having their workers work from home (which a factory cannot do of course).

With our pooled knowledge and research, I wonder if we would be able to anticipate such a move a few days in advance based on surrounding companies and CV cases in the area. It could be quite lucrative to buy some short-term puts in advance, sell them when the inevitable SP drop overreaction happens, and then use the profits (and any dry powder saved) to scoop up cheap shares before the SP recovers.

Normally I am not a fan of timing the market, but this is a binary action that would definitely drop the SP if it happens.

i expect they are already prepping the site. You don’t have to close fully. Just check your employees, make sure shifts are separated and no contact whatsoever and shutdown all not essential externals/projects etc.

Well if Chinese media reports are true that the LG cells will use NMC811 chemistry, that's the new 2x life formulation developed by Dr. Jeff Dahn at Dalhhousie and patented by Tesla.

Lots of papers, vidz, and discussion here about the benefits of NMC811 especially using the new Sodium difluorophosphate (Tesla patented) electrolyte additives. This could be a 4,000 cycle, cobalt-free battery cell that avoids the huge royalties for the IP rights to use Lithium difluorophosphate as an additive.

Cheers!
In the name NMC811 "C" refers to cobalt. I.e. it uses cobalt, but less.

I have the impression that there was a fair amount of accumulation of TSLA shares today, skillfully hidden behind the macro drop. Could be wrong about it though, so not advice.
I think the only ones that could use Waymo would be companies like Domino's... heck you'd never know there was anything different on the roof! Self driving car, drives to your house and beeps when it's in front of your house... pizza time!

I there was a fair amount of accumulation of TSLA shares today, skillfully hidden behind the macro drop. Could be wrong about it though, so not advice.

The market could also be waking up to the fact that Musk's millionth car tweet means there's a significant possibility of S&P inclusion in just a few months.