Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Major Indexes today, as of 6:30am EST

Stocks, today.

China: -1.5%
Saudi: -1.5%
Hong Kong: -3.6%
South Korea: -3.8%
Turkey: -4.3%
Indonesia: -5%
Portugal: -5%
Italy: -5%
Switzerland: -5.1%
Germany: -5.5%
France: -5.5%
UK: -5.5%
Spain: -5.7%
Netherlands: -5.7%
Austria: -5.8%
Russia: -6.7%
Australia: -7.2%
India: -8.1%

wait for it.... it will go further

Reactions: aubreymcfato
I disagree. You might be viewing older/retired people as an economic burden, but the other side of the coin is they are also a source of GDP. Depends on the country, of course. US: long-term care, healthcare, harley davidsons, cruises, specialty real estate (active retirement community). That's a lot of services and jobs. It is not like in slavic cultures that just go die quiet in a country house. Plus benefits don't stop if a spouse dies, the other one still is receiving government social security.
So economic impact is highly dependent on cultures and retirement lifestyles & systems.

The assets of the elderly do not dissappear when they die. They get inherited. The recipients of whom generally blow a large portion of them in relatively short order, rather than spreading out their value over years or decades as the elderly individual would have.

Economic value is created by those who work. Economic value is consumed by those who do not work. All economic activity reduces down to human labour. Savings of money is just an accumulation of IOUs for work, based on past work.

With the increased value of the dollar there will be a loss of cars that already sold internationally. My Model Y now cost 57400$ at the Norwegian page. In the US the same cost 60990$. However, since I ordered a few months ago I have a fixed price at 53930$...

This will have some kind of impact on the results going forward. I guess Tesla still does not do any currency hedging...?

I believe this is incorrect.

If you pay in US dollars (like you state) Tesla will get the same amount they would have gotten before.

If you pay in Norwegian krones, which I believe is the case, Tesla will get more dollars, because every krone buys them more dollars.

• Disagree
Reactions: chrsk

If you pay in US dollars (like you state) Tesla will get the same amount they would have gotten before.

If you pay in Norwegian krones, which I believe is the case, Tesla will get more dollars, because every krone buys them more dollars.
They will get a fixed amount of NOK. However the amount of $ will decrease...

Reactions: rsm287 and Lessmog
BTW... although I haven't seen anyone else say it, I assume I'm not the only one who's been thinking that the reason for Tesla's sudden about-face on raising capital might have been to internal concerns about the virus?

Yeah, the timing seems too perfect. I think that Tesla management had an inkling that this could all blow up worldwide, based on their Shanghai lockdown experience.

Not that I'm complaining :)

Questions -

Let’s say demand for Tesla cars in NA drops due to the stock market plunge now and, in Q2. What could happen? Could China GF3 pick up the charge with battery production being siphoned to there?

Also, anyone remember/recollect, who was an investor in Tesla (pre-IPO) back in the last recession, the style of decision making Musk has during those times?

For those of you who are trying to assess the impact of the various numbers you are seeing regarding COVID-19 upon the markets, let’s clarify a few things:

Exposure does not equal symptoms; symptoms do not equal infection; infection does not equal illness; illness does not equal death.

Without reliable testing, you can’t really know who has been exposed. Not everyone exposed will have symptoms. Early on, the symptoms are very generic and could indicate anything on the spectrum from no infection to infection with one the many viruses that attack humans to infection with COVID-19. “Common colds” are classically coronaviruses or rhinoviruses, which are quite common and which we have all been exposed to. COVID-19 is a new coronavirus which we have not seen before.

If you only test those with symptoms, you have no way to estimate the prevalence in the general population. Once you start broad testing, the numbers of those “exposed” will skyrocket. But you don’t know if those are brand new exposures or just recent ones you didn’t know about.

Getting a better idea of how many are exposed should result in a decrease in the fatality rate because you have a far more accurate denominator. Death is the ultimate negative outcome, but the cause of death can be very difficult to identify. There are things you die “with”, and things you die “from”. People with health problems or major risk factors (smoking, lung/heart disease, immune compromise, etc) are at much greater risk. And death certificates are notoriously inaccurate.

The numbers will get worse before they get better. But the market consequences will be around for quite a while. And Tesla will be even more ideally situated for that.

If the dollar is stronger (with 1 to 1 as a base) $0.5 = 1.00 whatever currency. So if you pay fixed amount in the other currency, the $ amount Tesla gets is less and the adjusted price in other currency goes up.

Are we mixing increased value of a dollar (strong dollar) versus increased number of dollars per other currency (weak dollar)?

• Helpful
Reactions: Jovian
US still has a chance to take control of the spread if Chimpanzee Head stops pretending his is an expert of all things and the virus it's no big deal, and starts listening and allowing his expert lieutenants to do their jobs instead of telling them what to do as what he's been doing in politics.

I guess I'll start stocking up on canned goods then.

Uptick Rule should be in effect as of 09:33:30 with the low print being at 570.00

sc.TSLA.10-DayChart.2020-03-12.09-33-30.png

Credibility

Amongst the issues brought up in recent posts, the US has the above problem. For over 2 decades the message that government is the problem has been hammered into the minds of boomers. They are the “vulnerable” age group and will continue their myopic self preservation trajectory without regard to effect on their offspring.

Primarily, when it comes to economic stimulus, it appears that protecting “legacy” industry is on the agenda and from a macro perspective, this IMHO will be the ultimate “Futile and stupid gesture”

Obviously, there is a significant probability that outbreak in the US is quite large and certainly not on a down curve like China/ South Korea. As a result, there is a chance we will experience an acceleration of the impending demographic shift and generational transfer of wealth. Coming out the back side of this event offers a distinct possibility of a spring loaded recovery fueled by China.

The US blew its QE, Fed rate and other bullets in 2009 and it appears never to have recouped the ammo. It sure seems pretty feckless now watching a buncha WS guys begging for even more largesse.

IMHO, Tesla is in position to break out better than ever before:
1. Ops in the first economy recovering from the outbreak.
2. Vertical integration.
3. Offers products that are the antithesis of the rapidly failing legacy energy/transport model.
4. Healthy cash.
5. Non boomer work force right into Senior management.

This basis of my investment in TSLA from the beginning was that if Tesla failed in its mission, nothing much mattered anyway in terms of a healthy thriving planet. This remains and maybe this macro event will be the straw that breaks in favor of a Sustainable Energy world economy rising from the ashes with Tesla being positioned perfectly surf a giant wave.

In between now and the declining infection curve it’s gonna be a rough ride that we have all ridden to this point.

Hang tight so you can hang ten out the other side...

(Wash ur hands, don’t touch ur face and cough/sneeze into ur arm)

Fire Away!
(It’s (STILL) the batteries, Stupid!)