Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
BTW, the other day people here were complaining about user @tesla_truth on Twitter using the name "Steve Jobs", about how that was distasteful. I just found out... that's actually his real name. He was actually suspended by Twitter a couple months back, then reinstated after he proved his identity.
So we should probably stop teasing him about being not alive?

Reactions: elasalle
Tesla most certainly does need scrubbers or solvent recovery equipment. None of it is vented to the air.

Btw, wouldn’t this Maxwell technology acquisition shift the balance of who makes the cells into Tesla’s favor and away from Panasonic? Obviously Panasonic still owns IP in the cathode and electrolyte chemistry, but even in the chemistry, Tesla is patenting electrolyte additives. I just wonder how long Tesla will or will have to partner with Panasonic?
I was wondering if they would try to use the new chemistry all at once, or start with the Roadster and then skip a generation to the SX and high end pickup. The investment in model 3 cell capacity will require 3 -5 years and I expect this will take some time to scale up.

Just saw a clip on America’s Funniest Home Video of 2 very young girls. The older one holding a 5 dollar bill, the younger a 1 dollar bill.

The 5 holder was upset, and wanted to trade bills, which the younger reluctantly did. Mother asked the older girl if she was happy with the trade, and she replied “yes.” Seems she liked the picture of George Washington better.

While funny, all I saw was a future $TSLA short in the making! :D

I apologize if someone already posted this but I “took one for the team” and watched the more recent episode of “autoline, after hours”, and I found it fascinating. They talked about electric car industry for quite a while, it was almost as if they didn’t want to say Tesla’s name, then caller questions opened up and they loosened up and there was some good discussion. These guys are deep into Detroit auto industry. Not dumb, but I think it does appear they are asking more critical questions and seem to be understanding that Tesla has no competition for a while. Disruption is hard. I think we are in progress though. They all seemed to like Tesla and even understand more about what they actually have done here, but still, I feel like sandy Munro warned on his last visit with them, essentially along the lines of “auto industry needs to wake up and see the freight train bearing down on them....”

Just saw a clip on America’s Funniest Home Video of 2 very young girls. The older one holding a 5 dollar bill, the younger a 1 dollar bill.

The 5 holder was upset, and wanted to trade bills, which the younger reluctantly did. Mother asked the older girl if she was happy with the trade, and she replied “yes.” Seems she liked the picture of George Washington better.

While funny, all I saw was a future $TSLA short in the making! :D
What I see is two innocent children who have none of the odious adult concept of money and wealth who are blissfully uncorrupted by avarice like most people are. Prove me wrong. :cool:

If you can't put a standard 4'X8' sheet of plywood or drywall in the bed with the lift gate closed, you are not going to succeed in the North American truck market.

IMHO Rivian and Tesla are the only ones close to real, others are startups offering specs only or ICE manufacturers offering same but backed buy street cred.

Rivian has actual vehicles that they are showing now with the claim that “this is not a prototype of something that we might build differently. This is it, we are going to manufacture these vehicles you see here, and we have the facility and the backing”.

Agreed Rivians are NOT work trucks, they are luxury toys with crazy off-road capabilities. The bed is a pretty close to size of the Chevy Avalanche, my neighbor has one and loves it, prefers the big 4dr cab to a large bed. If he needs to haul something larger he leaves the tailgate down and secures it with tie downs.

From the comments on Tesla pickup I am expecting something truly monstrous in size and capabilities, based on the semi, probably also monstrous in price and unlikely to fit in a standard garage, but I am real real curious to see it unveiled, hope to see that this year.

Reactions: Mobius484
Anyone have ideas on timing of HW3 introduction? Expecting a significant bump in SP from that but maybe I am wrong.

Newest article I found in a search was one from late Nov, predicting Q2 which is pretty soon now, other newer articles say just vaguely “first half 2019”. Thinking maybe sometime Q3 after the big effort to launch M3 oversees is well behind them.

Article I found claiming Q2 plans for H3 intro, yup from SeekingAlpha but don’t fret it seems pretty positive:
Why Hardware 3 Is Tesla's Dark Horse - Tesla, Inc. (NASDAQ:TSLA) | Seeking Alpha

IMHO Rivian and Tesla are the only ones close to real, others are startups offering specs only or ICE manufacturers offering same but backed buy street cred.

Rivian has actual vehicles that they are showing now with the claim that “this is not a prototype of something that we might build differently. This is it, we are going to manufacture these vehicles you see here, and we have the facility and the backing”.

Agreed Rivians are NOT work trucks, they are luxury toys with crazy off-road capabilities. The bed is a pretty close to size of the Chevy Avalanche, my neighbor has one and loves it, prefers the big 4dr cab to a large bed. If he needs to haul something larger he leaves the tailgate down and secures it with tie downs.

From the comments on Tesla pickup I am expecting something truly monstrous in size and capabilities, based on the semi, probably also monstrous in price and unlikely to fit in a standard garage, but I am real real curious to see it unveiled, hope to see that this year.
I do not see the Rivian truck as a mass market work truck either. Frankly, I think the hype is premature at this point. However, I do think it is interesting that Amazon is a big investor. This tells me the Tesla semi is viewed as a threat to one of Amazon’s competive advantages - low cost shipping. This shows the potential of the semi.

Reactions: KarenRei and AZRI11
I do not see the Rivian truck as a mass market work truck either. Frankly, I think the hype is premature at this point. However, I do think it is interesting that Amazon is a big investor. This tells me the Tesla semi is viewed as a threat to one of Amazon’s competive advantages - low cost shipping. This shows the potential of the semi.

Not sure Rivian’s skateboard/infrastructure is a fit for building a semi, and I don’t see AMZ investing in a startup to build their own EV delivery fleet. If BEV trucks become cheaper, AMZ will start using them like everyone else, lease/purchase in place of ICE versions.

Not sure Rivian’s skateboard/infrastructure is a fit for building a semi, and I don’t see AMZ investing in a startup to build their own EV delivery fleet. If BEV trucks become cheaper, AMZ will start using them like everyone else, lease/purchase in place of ICE versions.
The AMZ investment would be in the people and their expertise. Clearly their prototypes are not for a semi. If AMZ leases/purchases just like everyone else, then they do not have much of a competitive advantage in shipping costs, since everyone will be doing it.

This Reuters article gives me a sense that the Commerce Dept. report could be a bit of a sword of Damocles for up to the next 90 days:

Automakers brace for U.S. government report on import tariffs | Reuters

The contents of the report are expected to remain classified while Trump considers its recommendations, leaving the industry and major car exporters Japan, the European Union and South Korea in the dark about its consequences.

Auto industry officials said they expect the report to recommend at least some tariffs so that the administration can use the findings of the probe as negotiating leverage during negotiations this year with Japan and the EU.

On the other hand, the article mentions that tariffs are a likely accepted recommendation at this point, so maybe confirmation won’t be a shock to the market? Hard to say. Emphasis added on the EV bit.

Automakers and parts suppliers are anticipating its recommendation options will include broad tariffs of up to 20-25 percent on assembled cars and parts, or narrower tariffs targeting components and technologies related to new energy cars, autonomous, internet-connected and shared vehicles.

“Nobody I’ve talked to in the industry thinks the report won’t recommend tariffs” in view of the Trump administration’s stated trade priorities, said an automotive official who spoke on condition of anonymity.

If they can use Rivian as a platform for a Sprinter delivery truck. They already have UPS like uniforms.

• Helpful
Reactions: Heart Land
BTW, the other day people here were complaining about user @tesla_truth on Twitter using the name "Steve Jobs", about how that was distasteful. I just found out... that's actually his real name. He was actually suspended by Twitter a couple months back, then reinstated after he proved his identity.

Why then use the famous Jobs’ photo as his Twitter avatar? Look at his profile:

E147DD99-DEE3-4016-A572-164439F2043A.jpeg
[

Very different - I don't think Tesla would fear loss of IP.

But MB divested from Tesla when they saw that Tesla was going to compete with them for luxury market. What changed now ?

What changed is they are losing to tesla. A MB/Tesla partnership might be worth doing if with its current leverage Tesla could get MB to pay the GF4 construction cost upfront.

Reactions: pnungesser