Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some of those were at multi-year lows though. No way to go but up. :rolleyes:

Well, while I will be the last to try and make predictions of the short-term movements of any stock, this quarter seems to have very poor sales number for most auto makers - which in principle should act against the stock price.

There is little specific in this Tweet, and yet it is interesting:
Matthias Schmidt on Twitter

Reactions: Lessmog

Yeah. P model after all ...

But I was curious what direction they'd go, because ... back in the day when this category started blowing up, such as the 1st gen X5 hitting the scene, owners ended up frequently crashing due to lack of traction with their performance tires, because that's what came with their "sports package" equipped German new SUVs ... because they were driving them in inclement weather or simply in cold weather ...

Fast forward to nowadays, and in fact more than the past decade ... they all now come with all-seasons ;-) Guess the lawyers took over.

Teslas though? Ah, they know their average customer is more knowledgeable and astute :D

Be aware that this Twitter account does not belong to Tesla - rather it is a not-immediately named Tesla enthusiast.

I write that, because I expect Tesla to announce their first Model Y deliveries.

Clearly - and against my above expectations - Tesla has chosen to make their first (and way ahead of schedule) deliveries of the Model Y a non-event.

I invite everyone to explain why my expectations were wrong. :)

• Funny
Reactions: Artful Dodger
The FINRA Short Selling Volume Report for Fri, Mar 13, 2020 is out. "Short Exempt Volume" a.k.a. Market Maker's naked shorting, was again unusually high at 6% of "Short Volume", which ranks at the 128th Percentile (making it highly unlikely to occur by simple chance).

What occurred today should be a major embarassment for NASDAQ (who designates and empowers Market Makers) and the SEC (who writes and enforces rules for Market Makers) for another reason:

That shameful event is that the -10% SP curcuit breaker was tripped again today as the SP plunged to $502 under heavy short selling, WHILE THE "UPTICK RULE" WAS IN EFFECT. What protection is NASDAQ and the SEC providing to legitimate investors?

View attachment 521407

Today's trading was affected even more than a -10% plunge would suggest: Due to an overnight improvement in NASDAQ-100 Futures, TSLA was trading at over $605 just 2 minutes into today's sesson. Then, massive shortselling drove the SP down over $40 in just 10 minutes. The morning's swing from $607 down to $502 represents a 15% plunge in the SP WHILE THE "UPTICK RULE" IS IN EFFECT.

This should not happen, and the SEC must investigate and suspend the offending market maker(s).

Tonight, any rational observer has to ask, will the Market Makers's short selling exemption lead to yet shorting of TSLA on Monday? This is confidence shaking in the Market itself and the Regulator.

#SEC #DOYOURJOB

What can be done about this blatant manipulation? As you say it’s shaking confidence in the Market and the Regulator but more so in TSLA as a growth stock. I’m afraid the ordinary retail investor will look at TSLA down 3% while the market is up 10% with no explanation and will decide to stay far away from this stock.

Yeah. P model after all ...

But I was curious what direction they'd go, because ... back in the day when this category started blowing up, such as the 1st gen X5 hitting the scene, owners ended up frequently crashing due to lack of traction with their performance tires, because that's what came with their "sports package" equipped German new SUVs ... because they were driving them in inclement weather or simply in cold weather ...

Fast forward to nowadays, and in fact more than the past decade ... they all now come with all-seasons ;-) Guess the lawyers took over.

Teslas though? Ah, they know their average customer is more knowledgeable and astute :D
Would have thought so myself, but all that was visible on the tire was P Zero and that fit in with the size. Maybe we'll find out this weekend! A good friend of mine is on the way to the Oregon coast and they just saw a truckload of Y's heading north... looking good!

I may get flamed for this, but any car with A/C has a heat pump, the question is just whether it is installed so it can pump heat in both directions..

Here's the text from elsewhere in the Owner's Manual (page 131):

"Model Y uses a heat pump to maximize efficiency; therefore, your air conditioning compressor and external fan may run and make noise even when the outside temperature is cold and your vehicle is heating or supercharging."

Which seems to imply a separate heat pump and air conditioning compressor functions.

The FINRA Short Selling Volume Report for Fri, Mar 13, 2020 is out. "Short Exempt Volume" a.k.a. Market Maker's naked shorting, was again unusually high at 6% of "Short Volume", which ranks at the 128th Percentile (making it highly unlikely to occur by simple chance).

What occurred today should be a major embarassment for NASDAQ (who designates and empowers Market Makers) and the SEC (who writes and enforces rules for Market Makers) for another reason:

That shameful event is that the -10% SP curcuit breaker was tripped again today as the SP plunged to $502 under heavy short selling, WHILE THE "UPTICK RULE" WAS IN EFFECT. What protection is NASDAQ and the SEC providing to legitimate investors?

View attachment 521407

Today's trading was affected even more than a -10% plunge would suggest: Due to an overnight improvement in NASDAQ-100 Futures, TSLA was trading at over $605 just 2 minutes into today's sesson. Then, massive shortselling drove the SP down over $40 in just 10 minutes. The morning's swing from $607 down to $502 represents a SP plunge of more than 17% in the SP WHILE THE "UPTICK RULE" IS IN EFFECT. This is outrageous.

This should NOT happen, and the SEC must investigate and suspend the offending market maker(s).

Tonight, any rational observer has to ask, will the Market Makers's short selling exemption lead to yet again more abusive short selling of TSLA on Monday? This is confidence shaking in the Market itself and the Regulator, who must now act to protect investors.

#SEC #DOYOURJOB
But what’s the end game?

Bankrupt the company? (Big oil/ big auto “expense” - that would be the most dire)

Slow down the company by (for instance) making subsequent cap raises more difficult? (Same suspects, less dire).

Make shares cheaper to be scooped up by some whale? (Perhaps least dire, depending the whale’s motive).

other?

What can be done about this blatant manipulation? As you say it’s shaking confidence in the Market and the Regulator but more so in TSLA as a growth stock. I’m afraid the ordinary retail investor will look at TSLA down 3% while the market is up 10% with no explanation and will decide to stay far away from this stock.
And they do, only a hardened loyalist group remains. We have an emotional advantage.
Back up your truck!

View attachment 521407

Today's trading was affected even more than a -10% plunge would suggest: Due to an overnight improvement in NASDAQ-100 Futures, TSLA was trading at over $605 just 2 minutes into today's sesson. Then, massive shortselling drove the SP down over $40 in just 10 minutes. The morning's swing from $607 down to $502 represents a SP plunge of more than 17% in the SP WHILE THE "UPTICK RULE" IS IN EFFECT. This is outrageous.

Today marks the single largest intraday percentage swing in TSLA share price in its recent history (2015-*) This should NOT happen, let alone occur with the SEC's so-called "Uptick Rule" in effect. The SEC must investigate and suspend those priviledges from the offending Market Maker(s).

Tonight, any rational observer must ask will the Market Makers's short selling exemption lead to yet again more abusive short selling of TSLA on Monday with the "Uptick Rule" in effect for the 3rd consecutive day? This is confidence shaking in the Market itself and the Regulator, who both of whom should act to protect investors.

#NASDAQ #SEC #DOYOURJOB

@Artful Dodger Have you tweeted this to Elon or maybe some of the more pro Tesla accounts like Third Row, Rob Maurer, etc.? Heck maybe even tweet it to Cathie Woods, Ross Gerber, etc.. I'm sure these folks are aware this is going on, but you never know.

Today absolutely looks like the share price was highly manipulated, but I'm a bit disappointed that some of our long time so called strong bulls are helping out. For all of us here who held strong through the drop to 180, it was really disappointing to see people abandon ship, especially when the company is fundamentally doing so much better than a year ago. In fact, I would have had more respect if you had bailed at $180, because there truly was a risk that Tesla may not make it out of that.

Just a few weeks ago when the share price was flying high, we had a lot of these same people in here saying that they would never sell, they believe in the mission, no one can take this again from us again, etc. etc. Everyone has their own reasons, but if you are selling because you just want to get back in cheaper, then don't pretend to believe in the mission, you're just an opportunist who sees money as more important than principles. That's perfectly fine, but don't pretend to be otherwise.

I'll probably get a lot of hate for my diatribe above, because I'm directing what I wrote above at a lot of long time respected members, but the last few days has disillusioned me towards people who I respected and followed the last few years.

It's easy to talk tough when things are going well, but a true reflection of one's makeup is what one does when things are going rough.

End of rant.

Here's the text from elsewhere in the Owner's Manual (page 131):

"Model Y uses a heat pump to maximize efficiency; therefore, your air conditioning compressor and external fan may run and make noise even when the outside temperature is cold and your vehicle is heating or supercharging."

Which seems to imply a separate heat pump and air conditioning compressor functions.

No, quite the opposite!

Also when it is cold and there is no need to cool the passenger cabin (or the battery), the A/C compressor and its fan may be running. This is exactly because the components of the A/C are being used for what they fundamentally are, a system that can move heat in one or in the opposite direction, i.e. provide cooling or heating.

• Informative
Reactions: hiroshiy and Dr. J