Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This idea just hit me. There is a notion floating around that Tesla can slow down expansion to cope with a recession. I think opposite. If Trump is done in term of reelection chance and Sanders/Biden gets elected, we will see a massive move toward electrification and the last think Tesla wants is a lack of production capacity, irrespective of short term demands.

upload_2020-3-13_18-45-20.png

No, quite the opposite!

Also when it is cold and there is no need to cool the passenger cabin (or the battery), the A/C compressor and its fan may be running. This is exactly because the components of the A/C are being used for what they fundamentally are, a system that can move heat in one or in the opposite direction, i.e. provide cooling or heating.

They were addressing your question "the question is just whether it is installed so it can pump heat in both directions.." by stating there are both heating and cooling functions (both directions), not saying they were separate systems.

This idea just hit me. There is a notion floating around that Tesla can slow down expansion to cope with a recession. I think opposite. If Trump is done in term of reelection chance and Sanders/Biden gets elected, we will see a massive move toward electrification and the last think Tesla wants is a lack of production capacity, irrespective of short term demands.
Tesla will do fine even if Trump is elected president until 2040. Government has nothing to do with it. Tesla will win people with innovation

@Artful Dodger Have you tweeted this to Elon or maybe some of the more pro Tesla accounts like Third Row, Rob Maurer, etc.? Heck maybe even tweet it to Cathie Woods, Ross Gerber, etc.. I'm sure these folks are aware this is going on, but you never know.

Today absolutely looks like the share price was highly manipulated, but I'm a bit disappointed that some of our long time so called strong bulls are helping out. For all of us here who held strong through the drop to 180, it was really disappointing to see people abandon ship, especially when the company is fundamentally doing so much better than a year ago. In fact, I would have had more respect if you had bailed at $180, because there truly was a risk that Tesla may not make it out of that.

Just a few weeks ago when the share price was flying high, we had a lot of these same people in here saying that they would never sell, they believe in the mission, no one can take this again from us again, etc. etc. Everyone has their own reasons, but if you are selling because you just want to get back in cheaper, then don't pretend to believe in the mission, you're just an opportunist who sees money as more important than principles. That's perfectly fine, but don't pretend to be otherwise.

I'll probably get a lot of hate for my diatribe above, because I'm directing what I wrote above at a lot of long time respected members, but the last few days has disillusioned me towards people who I respected and followed the last few years.

It's easy to talk tough when things are going well, but a true reflection of one's makeup is what one does when things are going rough.

End of rant.
your rant is warranted ...however ... we may be moving to the next phase pioneers have to move on ... even though I believe we are still in the pioneering phase ... i sold some of my shares at ~$850 and counter intuitively i was really stressed at that point .. i would rather be holding as many shares possible thru the lows ... because the next rise will be swift an extreme and many will miss it and it might not ever return to the levels we are seeing now ...

your rant is warranted ...however ... we may be moving to the next phase pioneers have to move on ... even though I believe we are still in the pioneering phase ... i sold some of my shares at ~$850 and counter intuitively i was really stressed at that point .. i would rather be holding as many shares possible thru the lows ... because the next rise will be swift an extreme and many will miss it and it might not ever return to the levels we are seeing now ...
Fair enough points. And I truly understand people who have to lighten up a bit because they are overleveraged, or people who are at an age where they need to lock in their money, that's totally understandable. I just take issue with the loud cheerleaders during the boom and the first to jump ship during a downturn.

BTW the One Motion mentioned in the BI article I know for a fact is in place. When we went to look into ordering our solar panel/PW system we did so in store and the TE contact there became our lead contact. He said if we ever needed an answer on something we could reach out to him and he would follow up with the appropriate person in the process to get back to us. When the City said we needed to upgrade our main panel, we called him and he reached out and we got a call back from TE about proceeding with our own electrician to do that part of the work before solar goes in. So far it’s been a smooth working arrangement.

What can be done about this blatant manipulation? As you say it’s shaking confidence in the Market and the Regulator but more so in TSLA as a growth stock. I’m afraid the ordinary retail investor will look at TSLA down 3% while the market is up 10% with no explanation and will decide to stay far away from this stock.
Vote.

But what’s the end game?

Bankrupt the company? (Big oil/ big auto “expense” - that would be the most dire)

Slow down the company by (for instance) making subsequent cap raises more difficult? (Same suspects, less dire).

Make shares cheaper to be scooped up by some whale? (Perhaps least dire, depending the whale’s motive).

other?

All of the above?

But what’s the end game?

Bankrupt the company? (Big oil/ big auto “expense” - that would be the most dire)

Slow down the company by (for instance) making subsequent cap raises more difficult? (Same suspects, less dire).

Make shares cheaper to be scooped up by some whale? (Perhaps least dire, depending the whale’s motive).

other?
Just add up how much $$$ they got paid, up front, by shorting all the way down from $969 its a *sugar* tonne of cash. And they can buy the shares now at 50% off ($484.50 on Monday).

Covering their massive short exposure is the 2ndary objective. It's always about making the fas'n'easy big bucks.

Laws are to control the rabble. The 'refuse-to-lose' crowd don't care bout no stankin lawz just more coke and hookers.

Just took advantage of the 11% pop in Disney (DIS) to unload a little more, and used a portion of it for TSLA at $536. I've been a seller of Disney since after the big Disney+ run-up. Disney+ has some great content, but it's very limited compared to Netflix, and there are big unknowns with the theme park closures.

I wish i had that kind of cash lying around a mere $750K ... i know not a big position for ARK ... not a small amount for us retail folks
Well, yes, it's not a small amount for individuals like us, but pretty small for ARK. Still, it's in the right direction!

Reactions: Eugene Ash
They were addressing your question "the question is just whether it is installed so it can pump heat in both directions.." by stating there are both heating and cooling functions (both directions), not saying they were separate systems.

OK, thanks. I guess what confused me is that you can't talk of a heat pump versus A/C function, since the heat pump can do both. Anyway, I think I have (over)stated my point by now.

It could be more interesting to point to a possible explanation for why the Model 3 only has an A/C unit, instead of a heat pump that can work in both directions.

This could be because the capability to move heat in either direction requires an extra, controllable valve (that determines the coolant flow) otherwise the heat pump can only function as A/C (or as a heater). So it is quite possible that this useful valve was left out in what Musk refers to as the 'game of pennies' (and because in some scenarios heat can simply be 'harvested' for free from the battery - with the remaining scenarios being covered by resistive heating - which drains more power from the battery than using a heat pump).