Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From: Tesla reduces staffing but 'very well could still be making cars'

The county spokesman said on Wednesday county officials needed to move on to other issues regarding the virus rather than focus on Tesla.

"Tesla needs to comply with the health order," he said, adding that the county did not want to force people into compliance, but implement changes with their consent.

A spokeswoman for the Fremont Police Department on Wednesday said attorneys for Alameda County and the city were discussing how to interpret the lockdown order by San Francisco Bay Area officials.

"This is all very new and there are a lot of moving parts," the spokeswoman said, adding that the conversations concern all manufacturers in the region.

The attorneys are not discussing enforcement or disobedience measures, but were trying to understand how state and federal exemptions factored in, she said.

Basically the County is a paper tiger. Tesla can continuing doing what it wants, and thus will continue doing what it wants.

I can tell you from living in San Francisco that pretty much every contractor is still out there working. There are tons of houses near me undergoing renovations.

Everyday when I walk by the contractors are still there working on it, under this "lockdown".

This could be a natural conclusion of coronavirus. After half the big companies have gone bankrupt, shareholders and boards of surving companies will insist that factories should be designed to be able to keep on running with minimal human involvement!

The risk will be too high not to spend a ton of money on making sure humans aren't needed, and human intensive production lines will be worth very little on the balance sheet...
AI robotic workforce, UBI, self driving cars. Sounds like a 2016 Elon Musk TED talk

[QUOTE="heltok, post: 4578347,
..............Nevada can stockpile some batteries [/QUOTE]

This is an extremely important event that is not being given enough consideration at the moment, and is just a little off the mark IMO. Think about the battery needs for the Moss Landing 1 GWh storage project. Think about the Sun Cable Australia-to-Singapore storage needs. Think about all the Tesla Powerwalls that are going to be sold as a result of this event. Tesla will continue to manufacture batteries at warp speed, but Tesla won't be stockpiling batteries. I am convinced that they will simply be 're-purposing' all the batteries they don't use in Fremont in cars for their Tesla Energy projects. And TE was already on a path to eventually outpace Tesla Motors IMO. TSLA = TM + TE under the same umbrella. And that combination provides tremendous flexibility and opportunity. Nothing has changed for PG&E's grid crisis. It needs Tesla more today than it did a couple months ago, because we are now a couple months closer to the next summer of hot weather. And the world is even hungrier to transition its Grids for greater stability and sustainability as we come out of this crisis.

Anyone thinking Tesla wont be making powerpacks and megapacks with the surplus cells it is producing from Nevada that won't be needed in Fremont simply because they aren't the cells Tesla traditionally used in those products has somehow not let the innovation-power of this company sink in over the years.............i.e. need to make Model 3 happen quickly? Build a tent. I am looking forward to the shock and awe from the 'analysts' at how well Tesla weathered this storm, and how quickly they innovated towards faster growth when the chips were down for all companies across the board in the automotive and the energy sectors. My forecast? 100% chance for a Wake-up call of biblical proportions just around the corner.

This is an extremely important event that is not being given enough consideration at the moment, and is just a little off the mark IMO. Think about the battery needs for the Moss Landing 1 GWh storage project. Think about the Sun Cable Australia-to-Singapore storage needs. Think about all the Tesla Powerwalls that are going to be sold as a result of this event. Tesla will continue to manufacture batteries at warp speed, but Tesla won't be stockpiling batteries. I am convinced that they will simply be 're-purposing' all the batteries they don't use in Fremont in cars for their Tesla Energy projects. And TE was already on a path to eventually outpace Tesla Motors IMO. TSLA = TM + TE under the same umbrella. And that combination provides tremendous flexibility and opportunity. Nothing has changed for PG&E's grid crisis. It needs Tesla more today than it did a couple months ago, because we are now a couple months closer to the next summer of hot weather. And the world is even hungrier to transition its Grids for greater stability and sustainability as we come out of this crisis. Anyone thinking Tesla wont be making powerpacks and megapacks with the surplus cells it is producing from Nevada that won't be needed in Fremont simply because they aren't the cells Tesla traditionally used in those products has somehow not let the innovation-power of this company sink in over the years.............i.e. need to make Model 3 happen quickly? Build a tent. I am looking forward to the shock and awe from the 'analysts' at how well Tesla weathered this storm, and how quickly they innovated towards faster growth when the chips were down for all companies across the board in the automotive and the energy sectors. My forecast? 100% chance for a Wake-up call of biblical proportions just around the corner.

The issue I see is NCA (autos) vs NMC (storage) and time to switch the line(s) between the chemistries and back again. May not be worth it if shutdown is short (net reduction in total battery output).

The issue I see is NCA (autos) vs NMC (storage) and time to switch the line(s) between the chemistries and back again. May not be worth it if shutdown is short (net reduction in total battery output).

Yes......that was the point I was hoping to convey. I think we shall finally see greater flexibility implemented to provide a long-overdue common component for TE from the prioritized TM production arise from this.

Anyone thinking Tesla wont be making powerpacks and megapacks with the surplus cells it is producing from Nevada that won't be needed in Fremont simply because they aren't the cells Tesla traditionally used in those products has somehow not let the innovation-power of this company sink in over the years.............i.e. need to make Model 3 happen quickly? Build a tent. I am looking forward to the shock and awe from the 'analysts' at how well Tesla weathered this storm, and how quickly they innovated towards faster growth when the chips were down for all companies across the board in the automotive and the energy sectors. My forecast? 100% chance for a Wake-up call of biblical proportions just around the corner.

On the topic of surplus cells from GF1, it appears that February's GF3 production was done without _any_ Panasonic cells:
Twitter
- if so, these cells must presumably have been available for packs made in the USA.

Any thoughts on this?

Chinese are buying all your stocks you are selling right now and have been selling recently
Twitter | Chao Zhou @realChaoZhou

"Giga Shanghai has exceeded 91% recovery rate since March 6th, and surpassed the production capacity level before the Coronavirus outbreak."

$TSLA #GF3 #TESLA

11:22 AM EDT· Mar 19, 2020​

I looked at the Twitter interaction with the Sherriff. After making his single unsolicited remark, he was inundated by TSLAQ and sympathizers accusing him of bribery and payoffs and various predictable stuff. The volume was substantial. I'm sure that most tweets were not from people within the county. In his defense, I think he was overwhelmed in a time of crisis.

He won’t make that mistake again.

Reactions: lklundin
Elon’s name carries a lot of weight. Obviously you can’t make ventilators appear out of thin air, but just his acknowledgement and word gives these places a lot of hope and inspires others to pitch in.

It’s good for all his companies that he is seen as the jack of all trades. The icing on the cake is if one of his medical suggestions goes into a vaccine haha

Reactions: Tslynk67 and dl003
It will be almost criminally negligent for FDA to do anything short of fastlaning ventilators and vaccine trials
To be fair to Elon he said “if there is a shortage” so it would be a very desperate situation to use Tesla/SpaceX ventilators, but again it’s just about Elon stepping into the arena that will inspire movement from the right places to get the help needed in time