Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The County has the sole authority to rezone land.

There is a reason Toyota didn't sell the land to home developers.

The land is considered toxic for residential use after 40 years of ICEv manufacturing.

It would take a reclamation project and about 20 years before it meets residential standards.

At the time Toyota sold the factory to Tesla the reclamation project was estimated to cost $750M to $1.1B.

And the land was said to be worth $1B if it was rezoned residential.

Toyota didn't want to be affiliated with toxic reclamation project for 20 years, nobody else wanted the property, so they sold it to Tesla for $42M after agreeing to invest $50M in Tesla.

Apart from NUMMI how many unused car factories were sitting around for sale in California when Tesla was looking for a production facility? I mean, to get one for so little right in an area with so many software developers that Tesla also would need, seems like a really good deal.

• Love
Reactions: kbM3
Apart from NUMMI how many unused car factories were sitting around for sale in California when Tesla was looking for a production facility? I mean, to get one for so little right in an area with so many software developers that Tesla also would need, seems like a really good deal.

Any, currently unavailable - though may be available soon, in Central USA from existing manufacturers? Maybe for < $2.3B?

I think this is a dead cat bounce. We will only bottom out when the * hits the fan in the USA. That’s probably several weeks away. Over the coming weekend, more bad numbers will come out, and monday will again be a panic sell day.
Should be priced in by now. Only when the lunatic is doing stuff right, the stock will go up. Downwards all the misery is priced in by now.

Isn't it funny that many shorts were pushed out on the way up, with a (huge) loss. And now that they could have profited from the TSLA drop many of them are without a short position. That has to hurt.

I have to imagine that the massive SP drop during recent days has in part been fueled by short selling.

Chinese are buying all your stocks you are selling right now and have been selling recently

Attachments

• upload_2020-3-19_16-47-5.png
    upload_2020-3-19_16-47-5.png
    26.7 KB · Views: 103
Elon just posted this on Twitter, Sounded like it supports what you are saying:

ETcW4Y0UUAA0PKZ

Yeah...sort of. The same is true for flu, etc. Obviously it stands to reason that the chronically ill are going to have a tougher time fighting off an infection that stresses the cardiovascular system.

I was suggesting something slightly more nuanced; namely, that this is a virus that so violently and quickly overwhelms the lungs, what will end up mattering most is whether a person’s lungs provide the initial foothold for the virus in the form of nooks and crannies (lung injury). The older you are, the more likely your lungs have accumulated injury - whether from smoking, scarring from previous pneumonias, pollution, etc.

Yes, of course underlying conditions. I should have included smoking - older population that smokes - to more accurately describe the reality of the situation in Italy’s population when being sarcastic in my post.

Funny, I’ve chosen the torture machine known as Bowflex to check my Covid-19 status. So far there’s a lot of medical issues, but not shortness of breath.
I use a WaterRower myself.

From: Tesla reduces staffing but 'very well could still be making cars'

The county spokesman said on Wednesday county officials needed to move on to other issues regarding the virus rather than focus on Tesla.

"Tesla needs to comply with the health order," he said, adding that the county did not want to force people into compliance, but implement changes with their consent.

A spokeswoman for the Fremont Police Department on Wednesday said attorneys for Alameda County and the city were discussing how to interpret the lockdown order by San Francisco Bay Area officials.

"This is all very new and there are a lot of moving parts," the spokeswoman said, adding that the conversations concern all manufacturers in the region.

The attorneys are not discussing enforcement or disobedience measures, but were trying to understand how state and federal exemptions factored in, she said.

Basically the County is a paper tiger. Tesla can continuing doing what it wants, and thus will continue doing what it wants.

I think this is a dead cat bounce. We will only bottom out when the * hits the fan in the USA. That’s probably several weeks away. Over the coming weekend, more bad numbers will come out, and monday will again be a panic sell day.

I tend to agree but I reserve the term "dead cat bounce" for stocks that are actually dead. TSLA is far from it.

I bought 100 at $365 and another 100 at $356 yesterday because I sensed this down-trend was in for a major reprieve. They are the first shares I've added since the downturn began. But it's really hard to tell how much of a reprieve it will be and how long it will last. I bought yesterday because there is always a chance during a reprieve like this that news will come out that will make $350 the actual bottom. You just never know. I also sensed that, even though it's likely to go back down again, it's not likely to go substantially lower. At best, IMO, it could break $300 for a few minutes. So I figured $360 was good insurance against the bull case (in which it doesn't break $350 again).

Could Tesla use these disruptions to upgrade Fremont? I think they were working on a second paint shop.

Would it make sense to upgrade the Model 3 lines so that it requires less manpower? Rear casting for Model 3? or is the cost of that change too expensive for the return?

This could be a natural conclusion of coronavirus. After half the big companies have gone bankrupt, shareholders and boards of surving companies will insist that factories should be designed to be able to keep on running with minimal human involvement!

The risk will be too high not to spend a ton of money on making sure humans aren't needed, and human intensive production lines will be worth very little on the balance sheet...