Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
By the way, Mercedes are indeed making >$35 billion in revenue in China alone, so with all the news that Tesla is crushing MB in the US, >$32 billion revenue now suddenly seems like an outrageous goal to set?

Mercedes does this with a full lineup of Coupe,Cabriolet,Sedan, MPV, SUV/CUVs and Vans some of which are designed specifically for China. Many of the vehicles are also made in China.

It does not do this with the C-Class alone.

You are comparing revenue for ~20 vehicles vs 1.

Super. I am guessing not market moving until EOY 2020. So, FSD is feature complete this year, but likely not approved by regulators or might be BETA until then, requiring human oversight.
On the other hand, this might be market moving in 2019 if drivers are able to experience FSD and see how close it is to completion.

Elon said that every intervention of AP is uploaded to Tesla and analysed, which seems to be a confirmation of what was previously a speculation.

That last point is curious from my personal perspective.

I take a sharp exit/series of turns during ski trips on Nav on AP. Used AP like 3-4 times there. Actually, I get a warning "high curvature detected". One time AP crossed the white line there and scared my wife, but other times drove like a champ.

But right after the merge to another highway the lane splits into 2 dif. highways. AP says "confirm lane change to follow the route" even though you don't need to change it as long as you take the right lane at the split. So, one time there it tried to take the wrong lane at the split and I intervened. The next time I drove there the AP took the correct lane. I was quite surprised. However, last weekend it tried to take the wrong lane again at the split and I intervened. Wondering how long it will take me to train the AP? Maybe somebody else taking the other lane re-trains it wrong? There's no single right behavior at the split point though.

Last edited:
Now there are some topics for Bloomberg's Liam Denning to gleefully reveal regarding the risk factors listed in the 10-K's of the oil companies. ;)
Demand-related risks from ExxonMobil 10-K: “...changes in technology or consumer preferences that alter fuel choices, such as technological advances in energy storage that make wind and solar more competitive for power generation or increased consumer demand for alternative fueled or electric vehicles; and broad-based changes in personal income levels.”

Replying to my own comment.. what I'm not sure how to reconcile is that Telsa said they had 1,010 Model 3s in inventory at the end of 2018. Any thoughts?

The solution to that is simple: Tesla didn't say that there were 1,010 Model 3's in inventory at the end of Q4.

(They said there were 1,010 Model 3's in transit, which is a very different thing.)

I'm heading to the Gym. Recommend everybody to manage your time like managing your investment. Use your time on things that will give you the most value. First priority is health; second priority is family/friends/fun; then spend time to get good at investment.

Good advice, but targeting people with a demonstrated record of keeping up with this thread suggests it's unlikely to be heeded. :D

What happened to Karen the Care Bear?

The bear suit gave me hives ;)

(Honestly, I was expecting at least some actual news re: the EU tariffs this weekend... instead the whole thing was kept classified, Trump didn't say a word about it, and the EU didn't say anything new about their plans :Þ So now it's just going to dangle over us for some time)

Super. I am guessing not market moving until EOY 2020. So, FSD is feature complete this year, but likely not approved by regulators or might be BETA until then, requiring human oversight.
On the other hand, this might be market moving in 2019 if drivers are able to experience FSD and see how close it is to completion.

If they show off FSD at the end of 2019 from picking up Elon from his house or from a public parking space/garage and do a trip of like 2 hours where the system goes through surface streets, highway, mixture of turns, roundabouts....maybe do a stunt like have the system drop Elon off somewhere for a min, car parks itself and then comes and gets him when he says he's ready...then I don't see how the stock price wouldn't move. That's too big a jump in progress to ignore. I'm a bit dubious on FSD being feature complete at the end of this year but if it is and they show it off, they would be incredibly far ahead of everyone else.

Last edited:
I think you are over estimating the difficulty of writing the Tesla Network software. Musk/Tesla have been planning this for years. Why wouldn’t the software be ready? It’s about a thousand times easier than the actual FSD software. Also easier than the OTA update system. Hell, I could probably write a Tesla Network system, and I’ve only been developing web sites 5 years. Uber got big by being early with a good idea, not because they did anything exceptionally hard.

The idea of partnering with Uber isn't necessarily because I think the Tesla Network would be difficult to develop. Even if it's easy to develop, it will take software engineers and there are lots of other areas where Tesla could make advances with software besides the Tesla Network. Also, while Uber hasn't been the greatest run company for the past few years. their influence on the ride hailing industry is huge right now and far reaching. Again, I don't think Tesla needs to partner.....they've shown they can develop software on their own. I would chose Apple any day of the week as a partner over Uber.

I'm also fine with Tesla doing it all own their own and reaping all of the rewards ;)

Reactions: replicant

Nothing wrong at all with Argonne researching this. However if you look at how the demand for lithium compound used for batteries will rise over the coming 20 years, it's clear that it will be quite a long time before recycled lithium can account for more than a small fraction of needed supply versus development of the various mineable sources like spodumene, lithium brines and clay deposits. Development project financing is the limiting factor in how fast these are developed into new supply. Which means once demand presses against supply, price goes up and more Li projects get funded and in a few years balances the supply vs demand.
Each GWh of Tesla batteries produced each year will not need to be recycled for 10+ years. Longer if older batteries are retasked to less demanding storage applications.

He did mention that it doesn’t really jive with Tesla’s sustainability mission.

Just listened to it. The initial question is about crypto, but thereafter they interchange the terms crypto and bitcoin willy nilly. Crypto will be a huge success when they design one as efficient as say visa or eftpos transactions. Bitcoin is a failure because it uses several orders of magnitude too much energy. It’s based on proof of work, a foundational design flaw. A conspiracy theory advocate would say that bitcoin was invented by the coal industry.

The bear suit gave me hives ;)

(Honestly, I was expecting at least some actual news re: the EU tariffs this weekend... instead the whole thing was kept classified, Trump didn't say a word about it, and the EU didn't say anything new about their plans :Þ So now it's just going to dangle over us for some time)
I realised some time ago that i am far too stupid to predict the market. Even for these sort of political announcements it's best to give yourself a wide margin of error.

I received this response today from one of my US senators representing Illinois (bolding is mine):

Dear Neighbor,

Thank you for contacting me to share your thoughts on tax credits for electric vehicles (EV). I appreciate you taking the time to make me aware of your concerns on this important matter.

Climate change represents a daunting environmental, economic and national security challenge. We are already experiencing devastating effects in Illinois and across the country as a result of extreme weather events. To promote adoption of innovative clean vehicle technology, Congress established a plug-in EV tax credit in 2008. This credit appears to have contributed to rising sales of plug-in electric vehicles. However, the EV tax credit phases out once a manufacturer sells 200,000 electric vehicles and many leading companies are reaching or have surpassed this mark.

The United States is still transitioning away from traditional gasoline-fueled vehicles to alternative fuel options, including plug-in electric models. Congress should incentivize auto manufacturers to continue making significant investments in the development of plug-in EV technology. Rather than stopping incentives for manufacturers that made bold investments in plug-in technology, we should extend the EV tax credit in a manner that results in greater innovation and enhanced accessibility of plug-in electric vehicles for everyday American consumers. This will strengthen our emerging clean energy economy and reduce harmful emissions.

Thank you again for contacting me on this important issue. If you would like more information on my work in the Senate, please visit my website at www.duckworth.senate.gov. You can access my voting record and see what I am doing to address today’s most important issues. I hope that you will continue to share your views and opinions with me and let me know whenever I may be of assistance to you.

Sincerely,

Tammy Duckworth
United States Senator