Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So how did GM pull out a $500M contract for vents?
I don't think they did. They just scaled back on their promise to Trump by a lot and also asked for a lot more money than initially quoted. They also wanted the government to cover their costs of retooling a factory to produce vents. Trump was foaming reminding them of the good old days when he was on their side pushing back against CA's emission rules.

Agreed. I posted this on the AP forum. It seems FSD will be going up and, based on tweet other day, AP may be getting a discount.

I do not have AP on my 2018 Model 3.
For AP it’s $3k and FSD is another $7k.
As other income will likely be needed in Q2 my suggestion is this.

1. Discount AP to $2k or whatever.
2. If one is like me and doesn’t have AP, make a buy FSD get AP for free deal. $7k all in instead of the current $10k.
3. Please allow it to be tied to the person and not the car. I’ll probably get a Model Y in Q2, then maybe swap the M3 with a plaid S a year later, then maybe swap the Y with a Cybertruck a couple years after that. There’s zero incentive for me to get FSD with the current setup, at any price.

Please make it easier for me to feed the beast in Q2.

I have a little problem since I bought both in my M3 delivered 2/14/18 have 60k miles and don't even have V3 yet. I knew it would take some time so I have been patient but I always expected it would cost more to buy later. Providing it to others now at a lower price would not be a good idea IMO.

I do NOT expect short term demand problems. In this pandemic, the well-paid white-collar worker who is the target market of a $50K Model 3 or a $55K Model Y is now likely working from home, but did NOT lose their job. This is the same demographic from which Tesla attracts Camry buyers, because they know that total cost of ownership (TCO) is the appropriate price to compare when new car shopping.

I would tend to disagree. While I don't expect a major drop in demand there will definitely be an impact. I am a good example, well-paid white-collar working for a very profitable software company that just completed a better then expected Q1. However, I am looking at my 401k and other investments and deciding I'll hold off on my Model Y order for the near term. Many others in the company who are younger are telling me the same thing as well as my neighbors. Now is not the time to make a major purchase. So many will delay buying a new car this year regardless of whether it's a Tesla or an ICE vehicle. I just look at all the hospital workers, some well paid in my area getting furloughed and the ripple affect thru the economy is significant. The other factor is the used car market is getting hammered and for buyers who want to trade in a car (again Tesla or ICE) towards the purchase of new Tesla will have to make up the drop in the used car value. They will either need to increase the loan amount or increase their cash contribution. So there are many examples that when combined will definitely affect demand.

I just tried out the in-car sentry mode viewer and I’m super impressed. This will generate a lot of interest because its super easy to show off real-time. Tesla’s lead is growing.
The fact that that feature was seemingly ignored since it’s been begged for and then Tesla comes out now and makes the feature better than we could have imagined is incredible. It wasn’t half assed, it was a feature that they dialed in and got right. It just shows their dedication to releasing solid products and little things like that are impressive. Would it have been nice if it was available 6 months ago? Of course, but I can imagine this request was more difficult than most.

I didn’t think the stock would hold up well today after a nice run up, there’s not much worse news than having to let go of a vital part of your staff, but the market is showing some rational judgement by not singling out Tesla and throwing us off a Cliff today.

Bernie Schaeffer was a regular guest of mine on my old TV show. Below is a link to what one of his analysts wrote in his publication today.

Tesla Stock Extends Rally on Production Plans

Excerpt:

Today, TSLA is eyeing its fourth consecutive win, as well as its highest close in nearly a month. The equity has found padding on the charts at its 200-day moving average, and more recently its 140-day moving average. Furthermore, Tesla boasts a year-to-date gain of roughly 30%.

This positive price action, especially relative to the broader market, could attract some bull notes to the table.

So yesterday the market closed in the red, probably because the number of cases went up instead of confirming a downward trend. So why is it green today? How much of it is because Bernie dropped out of the race?
Tomorrow, are going to see the usual weekend sell off or are we going to see FOMO setting in?

• Informative
Reactions: Artful Dodger
So yesterday the market closed in the red, probably because the number of cases went up instead of confirming a downward trend. So why is it green today? How much of it is because Bernie dropped out of the race?
Tomorrow, are going to see the usual weekend sell off or are we going to see FOMO setting in?
Please if anyone knows for sure....let me know....I am asking for a friend:cool:

Death put a damper on things but hospitalized rate dropped a lot in NY. Also Trump talked about restarting the economy today.

• Informative
Reactions: Artful Dodger
I would tend to disagree. While I don't expect a major drop in demand there will definitely be an impact. I am a good example, well-paid white-collar working for a very profitable software company that just completed a better then expected Q1. However, I am looking at my 401k and other investments and deciding I'll hold off on my Model Y order for the near term. Many others in the company who are younger are telling me the same thing as well as my neighbors. Now is not the time to make a major purchase. So many will delay buying a new car this year regardless of whether it's a Tesla or an ICE vehicle. I just look at all the hospital workers, some well paid in my area getting furloughed and the ripple affect thru the economy is significant. The other factor is the used car market is getting hammered and for buyers who want to trade in a car (again Tesla or ICE) towards the purchase of new Tesla will have to make up the drop in the used car value. They will either need to increase the loan amount or increase their cash contribution. So there are many examples that when combined will definitely affect demand.

This matches with Google trends results, where Model 3 search frequency has dropped down a bit more from my analysis 2 weeks ago. Over 50% drop since January.

• Helpful
Reactions: Thekiwi and bpjod
Former CBOE market maker Jon Najarian was a regular guest of mine on my old TV show during my daily visits to the CBOE. He also orchestrated the mock trading in which I participated a couple of times during after hours in a CBOE trading pit.

Today on CNBC, Jon bullishly answered a viewer's question about TSLA. That begins at the 2:37 minute mark of the video below.

CNBC - hour ago:

Any word from Panasonic sending employees back to Nevada? How many vehicles can Fremont produce without battery supply coming out of Nevada?

Tesla letter to employees snip:

While we are continuing to keep only minimum critical operations running, we expect to resume normal production at our U.S. facilities on May 4, barring any significant changes.

• Helpful
Reactions: Jovian and hobbes
I have a little problem since I bought both in my M3 delivered 2/14/18 have 60k miles and don't even have V3 yet. I knew it would take some time so I have been patient but I always expected it would cost more to buy later. Providing it to others now at a lower price would not be a good idea IMO.
2018 also had the full tax credit. Yes it sucks but we have received lots of other things we never expected in 2018.