Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hmm. I'm always tempted to try and time the market. And I suck pretty bad at it, with rare exception. But. An interesting set of circumstances coming up.

Unknown rate of de-escalation of the pandemic. With different sections of the country on different curves, the "revovery" I'd guess will likely be slow and incremental. But could be better. Butl timing could vary by months.

And minimum 4-week shutdown now, and earnings call and battery day coming up.

My thinking FWIW: Most here are expecting battery day to reveal a step change in battery technology, and we might have epected a rollout towards the fall or beyond, with mileage/performance/software upgrades across the product line.

I don't think it takes much imagination to think that Tesla is going to maximize the downtime to their advantage and move up (to the extent possible) any changes they may have had planned for later in the year. It just seems unlikely that they would schedule another shutdown for retooling later in the year if they could avoid it. In addition, the duration of the current shutdown is going to deplete inventory, where normally they would roll out incentives to clear inventory prior to rollout of model changes. With all that in mind what could possibly be better posturing for a return to business than to stimulate demand with new hardware upgrades, especially when the ones who regularly trade-in for the latest and greates will be least affected by the recession.

I won't go far as to make exact predictions on what, but I think that whatever surprises Tesla had in store for later this year are going to get their debut much earlier than originally planned. Whether or not they discuss during the earnings call, I expect the fireworks to begin in the days following the ER.

To the moon Alice.

ps: I meant to add: as model changes roll out and the Y ramps up, there is going to be an incremental stepdown in the entry price of great used Teslas. It's gonna be great. If I don't die from a virus.

Last edited:
My thinking FWIW: Most here are expecting battery day to reveal a step change in battery technology, and we might have epected a rollout towards the fall or beyond, with mileage/performance/software upgrades across the product line.

I don't think it takes much imagination to think that Tesla is going to maximize the downtime to their advantage and move up (to the extent possible) any changes they may have had planned for later in the year.

I won't go far as to make exact predictions on what...

I'll make a prediction -- Plaid was made more simple to be able to release it earlier. Early Q3 release of Plaid mode?

upload_2020-4-8_15-5-13.png

I would agree with this - look on any Facebook Tesla group and there are people daily stating they're taking deliveries of Model 3 and Y. My company (white collar, financial services firm) has stated they are not laying off any people at this point and will focus on cutting expenses (travel reduced to zero, freezing new hires, etc). People will continue to buy cars as it's not illegal to drive your new car/Tesla.

While I also agree that Tesla will deliver higher margin cars at this point in time, the one item I'm struggling with is the FSD prices increases for incremental benefit. I do not think stopping at traffic lights and stop signs is worth another $1k. We're getting to a point where I would either want highway autopilot for long trips, or full self driving in 98% of places. Said another way, if TSLA places a $2k value on basic autopilot, and another $7k on full self-driving, at what point do consumers say its too expensive for incomplete FSD. I'm not sure if anyone has data on this, but it would be great to see if the % of FSD buyers changes with price increases or how it has generally trended over time.

I also struggle with the FSD price increase. I bought my M3 SR+ w/ hw3 FSD in late May of last year, expecting to be blown away when "feature complete" FSD was to be delivered at the end of 2019. Didn't happen. Will be purchasing MY this summer, but won't be paying for FSD until my M3 can somewhat successfully navigate on AP in town. Hopefully Tesla can deliver some semblance of true FSD this year, otherwise I don't think it'll be a significant revenue generator for them. Highway AP good enough for me and most other Tesla-owning acquaintances, and I don't know anyone who currently owns a Tesla (not that I know many) who will purchase FSD again until there is a noticeable improvement in autonomous driving.

Reactions: wnorris
I also struggle with the FSD price increase. I bought my M3 SR+ w/ hw3 FSD in late May of last year, expecting to be blown away when "feature complete" FSD was to be delivered at the end of 2019. Didn't happen. Will be purchasing MY this summer, but won't be paying for FSD until my M3 can somewhat successfully navigate on AP in town. Hopefully Tesla can deliver some semblance of true FSD this year, otherwise I don't think it'll be a significant revenue generator for them. Highway AP good enough for me and most other Tesla-owning acquaintances, and I don't know anyone who currently owns a Tesla (not that I know many) who will purchase FSD again until there is a noticeable improvement in autonomous driving.
FSD is in an awkward place now. If it hadn't been a 2k upgrade for me because I had purchased EAP I'm not sure I would have jumped.

Call me crazy, but I would be willing to pay $10,000+ once the car is actually able to handle some streets without a driver. It would save me over $3,000 per year in train fare if the car could drop me off at work and drive home to park itself.

Reactions: PANN and FrankSG
You have a friend? Highly doubtful.

I’ll be your friend, though. I will tell you exactly which options to purchase. PM so you alone can get rich.

Thanks for the offer...but no thanks.
I have been making plenty of ship builder and landing craft friends.

But not to worry we shall meet soon enough.:cool:

FSD is in an awkward place now. If it hadn't been a 2k upgrade for me because I had purchased EAP I'm not sure I would have jumped.
I think resell value wise as an early 2018 model 3 customer, the upgrade of the computer is worth a 2k or 3k increase. To me it definitely improved EAP after the hw3 swap. Less ping pong, and can actually calculate the frames fast enough to not have me run into the wall when exiting this one ramp(but Tesla still needs to fix the speed prior to exiting. It is going way too fast.)

And yet the Los Angeles Times is one of the worst FUD publication out there against Tesla. Why would you rail against a major in state employer? What scumbags.
Once again today, Los Angeles has the cleanest air of any major city on Earth, scoring a remarkably low score of 2 on the AQI index (by contrast the worst city is Hanoi at 187):

Code:
Ranking    Major city    AQI
1    Los Angeles, USA    2
2    Canberra, Australia    5
3    Salt Lake City, USA    5
4    Zagreb, Croatia    6
5    Oslo, Norway    8
6    Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan    10
7    Prague, Czech Republic    16
8    Helsinki, Finland    17
9    Jerusalem, Israel    19
10    Sydney, Australia    19
11    San Francisco, USA    22
12    Denver, USA    23
13    Detroit, USA    23
14    Krasnoyarsk, Russia    23
15    Bogota, Colombia    25
16    New York, USA    25
17    Santiago, Chile    26
18    Toronto, Canada    29
19    Sao Paulo, Brazil    29
20    Nagoya, Japan    33
21    Johannesburg, South Africa    33
22    Madrid, Spain    33
23    Kyoto, Japan    35
24    Bangkok, Thailand    36
25    Kobe, Japan    37
26    Tel Aviv-Yafo, Israel    38
27    Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia    38
28    Lima, Peru    39
29    Tehran, Iran    40
30    Vancouver BC, Canada    42
31    Portland, USA    43
32    Moscow, Russia    43
33    Hong Kong, Hong Kong SAR    45
34    Kuching, Malaysia    46
35    Seattle, USA    47
36    Nur-Sultan, Kazakhstan    49
37    Melbourne, Australia    51
38    Kabul, Afghanistan    52
39    Bern, Switzerland    53
40    Lyon, France    54
41    Singapore, Singapore    54
42    Taipei, Taiwan    57
43    Shenzhen, China    58
44    Phnom Penh, Cambodia    60
45    Osaka, Japan    60
46    Vienna, Austria    61
47    Paris, France    61
48    Vienna, Austria    61
49    Tashkent, Uzbekistan    63
50    Munich, Germany    63
51    Berlin, Germany    63
52    Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam    63
53    Busan, South Korea    63
54    Tokyo, Japan    63
55    Brussels, Belgium    65
56    Dubai, United Arab Emirates    65
57    Wroclaw, Poland    68
58    Incheon, South Korea    68
59    Riyadh, Saudi Arabia    70
60    Milano, Italy    70
61    Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia    71
62    Pristina, Kosovo    71
63    Seoul, South Korea    74
64    Bratislava, Slovakia    76
65    Sarajevo, Bosnia Herzegovina    76
66    Karachi, Pakistan    77
67    Kyiv, Ukraine    79
68    Skopje, North Macedonia    81
69    Mexico City, Mexico    82
70    Budapest, Hungary    83
71    Delhi, India    87
72    Amsterdam, Netherlands    89
73    Belgrade, Serbia    90
74    Guangzhou, China    90
75    Kuwait City, Kuwait    97
76    Beijing, China    97
77    Kathmandu, Nepal    98
78    Hangzhou, China    99
79    Mumbai, India    104
80    Wuhan, China    107
81    Kaohsiung, Taiwan    107
82    Rotterdam, Netherlands    108
83    Chongqing, China    111
84    Yangon, Myanmar    113
85    Warsaw, Poland    125
86    Poznan, Poland    134
87    Jakarta, Indonesia    136
88    Chengdu, China    139
89    Shanghai, China    141
90    Krakow, Poland    147
91    Sofia, Bulgaria    149
92    Lahore, Pakistan    154
93    London, United Kingdom    154
94    Shenyang, China    155
95    Dhaka, Bangladesh    162
96    Hanoi, Vietnam    187
97    Chiang Mai, Thailand    187

Shirley we must pay attention to what CARB could achieve with a 100% EV mandate.

CH33RS!

Call me crazy, but I would be willing to pay $10,000+ once the car is actually able to handle some streets without a driver. It would save me over $3,000 per year in train fare if the car could drop me off at work and drive home to park itself.
I agree 100%. When that day comes Tesla will make so much money on FSD alone they could spin off a whole new business if they wanted. All I'm saying is that there's been chatter about FSD for years, and it hasn't come yet. I really hope it does, and I'm pretty certain it will, but we're not there yet. Hopefully soon.

What is the probability of Tesla selling ventilators, not just within the US but globally, at a profit if Coronavirus is going to be with us for years to come? Obviously the cost of producing one is much cheaper than what GM can muster up. Elon can keep giving these away but if there's a permanent market for it I don't see anything wrong with expanding the product line.
Zero to none I think. It's easier to do it while we are under a state of emergency and bypass red tape etc. but that won't happen when things are normal again.

Reactions: Eugene Ash and JRP3
I would agree with this - look on any Facebook Tesla group and there are people daily stating they're taking deliveries of Model 3 and Y. My company (white collar, financial services firm) has stated they are not laying off any people at this point and will focus on cutting expenses (travel reduced to zero, freezing new hires, etc). People will continue to buy cars as it's not illegal to drive your new car/Tesla.

While I also agree that Tesla will deliver higher margin cars at this point in time, the one item I'm struggling with is the FSD prices increases for incremental benefit. I do not think stopping at traffic lights and stop signs is worth another $1k. We're getting to a point where I would either want highway autopilot for long trips, or full self driving in 98% of places. Said another way, if TSLA places a $2k value on basic autopilot, and another $7k on full self-driving, at what point do consumers say its too expensive for incomplete FSD. I'm not sure if anyone has data on this, but it would be great to see if the % of FSD buyers changes with price increases or how it has generally trended over time.
Yes the anecdotal info along those lines seems just as consistent as it was a few months ago.

Zero to none I think. It's easier to do it while we are under a state of emergency and bypass red tape etc. but that won't happen when things are normal again.

You're such a negative nancy. I give it a 0.00001% chance because I'm bullish on Tesla.

But seriously, I was actually wondering, with all of the automotive parts going into the ventilator, how difficult would it be to pass it as medical-grade equipment?

I'll make a prediction -- Plaid was made more simple to be able to release it earlier. Early Q3 release of Plaid mode?

View attachment 530437
I would think the simplification of it is to allow the powertrain to easily be put in the S, X, Roadster, and Cybertruck. If Plaid is being used on the tri-motor cybertruck they will likely need to make this powertrain quickly or efficiently. I think there was an overwhelming amount of people who ordered that model. Cost wise, and efficiency wise it cannot be complex/unique considering they moved up the date.

S, X and Roadster will be low volume sales so with those models in mind the plaid powertrain was likely unique, expensive, and complex to make. But now that it will be arriving in a sub $100k vehicle they will need to adjust.

(plaid is the powertrain of the tri-motor correct? My theory is pointless either way but even more so if it’s not)
edit:
https://www.motortrend.com/news/tesla-cybertruck-electric-pickup-plaid-power/

It definitely will be in the cybertruck

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Artful Dodger
You're such a negative nancy. I give it a 0.00001% chance because I'm bullish on Tesla.

But seriously, I was actually wondering, with all of the automotive parts going into the ventilator, how difficult would it be to pass it as medical-grade equipment?
Mostly, medical grade equipment needs to be certified. I don't believe that where the parts come from matters all that much as long as they can pass the certification.

• Helpful
Reactions: JusRelax