Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Recharging stranded Teslas is not a thing. Welding, however, is. If cybertruck could put out enough power to weld stuff, that would be awesome.
I'm not a welder myself, but our next door neighbor plugs his arc welder into a NEMA 15-30 outlet. (We've used it for charging while people were working on our driveway.) That delivers 240V / 24A max continuous which happens to be 5.7kW. At 4 miles per kWh, that's equivalent to driving at 22mph or so. Definitely doable.

Joplin? Seems a little out of the way.

Indeed it is in the middle of almost nowhere. I lived there in 1982-3 while working at a TV station. In 2011 the apartment building in which I lived was blown away by a tornado, as were many other buildings.

It's on Route 66, the legendary but effectively defunct highway connecting Chicago and Los Angeles for much of the twentieth century. Now the main nearby highway is Interstate 44. So that's a plus.

Joplin has no water connection to oceans, which Chicago actually does have. Rail lines are minimal compared to Chicago. Population from which to draw workers is low; certainly compared with Chicagoland. I've been consulting with Illinois politicians in attempts to lure Tesla.:cool:

Last edited:
Clean air for Angelenos? "Video or it never happened":

"Helicopter View of Los Angeles (Update) | April 10th 2020"

EVs can't come fast enough, but 'gassers' gotta go too.

#EPA #DOYOURJOB
Anybody who thinks this is OT forgets how many vehicles LA County buys. FWIW, I flew out of Long Beach for a decade, flying helicopters on the same route as shown here. I never saw many of the distant sights.
We keep speculating what impact all of this will have on Tesla sales. It can only be a strong positive.

The interview is out now for early access on patreon. Im only partway through but highlights so far:

-Model Y heatpump has what Elon calls “next level” technology using a design closer to a printed circuit board rather than pipes internally. It also has a local resistive heating loop to get the heatpump started in low temps. The heatpump is mainly what lets the Y get the same range as the 3.

-Model Y’s rear casting will go from 2 piece to 1 piece later this year. The casting is only possible with giant 6000lb casting machine. Tesla has one now and will get 2nd in about a month.

- Elon says maybe Model 3’s patchwork rear frame could get retrofit with a casting later, but he has to pick his battles due to limited time/effort/money
What podcast are you listening to?

Reactions: MikeC
Tesla has been trading relatively flat for the last couple hours. High 720's low 730's, with quite high volume, I don't think it'll maintain this. I think it'll break away from this before the end of the day.

Of course, the +$80 is nice too. I'm certainty not complaining. :p
To me, this recent price action feels too reminiscent of Jan 30 - Feb 4. I remember I was watching the stock ticker when the sudden (possibly market manipulation) drop occurred at the closing minutes on Feb 4th, right before my eyes. There was a CNBC technical analyst who pointed out the spike in price and called for a drop; unfortunately he turned out to be correct.

Keeping my fingers crossed that we don't see the same thing happen again.

To me, this recent price action feels too reminiscent of Jan 30 - Feb 4. I remember I was watching the stock ticker when the sudden (possibly market manipulation) drop occurred at the closing minutes on Feb 4th, right before my eyes. There was a CNBC technical analyst who pointed out the spike in price and called for a drop; unfortunately he turned out to be correct.

Keeping my fingers crossed that we don't see the same thing happen again.

Did the 13 day shorting limit rule expiring have an effect on that? I only have know what I'm talking about. Beware!

But, hopefully someone who knows will quote this and make sense of this mess of a comment.

He mentioned that it was released to the podcast's Patreon supporters (which I'm guessing @Silent Ludicrosy is a Patreon supporter of).

Yep, it was an early release on Patreon and will be on youtube tonight. Elon leaves after the first half and Sandy stays to talk about other auto industry stuff. Mostly how other car manufacturers aren’t serious about EVs, they are “just dipping their toe in”, dont put the right people on the EV team with the right training, outsource too many things, are afraid to make changes to the culture because everyone is too comfortable with the current process. Other interesting things Elon mentioned:
- The model Y cast aluminum is a special alloy that doesnt require heat treating, which saves a lot of time & space on the manufacturing line (unlike S & X aluminum castings)
- He doesnt care about styling consistency across the brand. So he’s not going to make a cybercar just to match the styling of Cybertruck.
- Mentioned the GigaBerlin is an improvement on GigaShanghai. One example he gave is the paint shop will have the ability to do a sort of layered paint job that will give more depth and look amazing.

I'm not a welder myself, but our next door neighbor plugs his arc welder into a NEMA 15-30 outlet. (We've used it for charging while people were working on our driveway.) That delivers 240V / 24A max continuous which happens to be 5.7kW. At 4 miles per kWh, that's equivalent to driving at 22mph or so. Definitely doable.
For many years I've welded with a 120V 12A max machine.

Has this news from Missouri been priced in?

Tesla courted with $1 Billion incentive for Cybertruck Gigafactory in Missouri

Recent reports from Missouri reveal that Joplin is offering a $1 billion package to Tesla if the electric car maker decides to build its upcoming Cybertruck Gigafactory in the city. The $1 billion package includes a massive 1,042-acre plot of land at a 50% discount, a 100% tax break for 12 years, and generous state incentives. Considering that the city is located at the heart of America’s pickup truck industry, Joplin’s pitch may very well be compelling for the electric car maker.

In a briefing on Monday, president of the chamber Toby Teeter mentioned that a formal proposal outlining the city’s offer has already been submitted to Tesla Corporate about a week ago. This places Joplin in the running against cities like Austin, TX, which is rumored to be the frontrunner in Tesla’s Cybertruck Gigafactory race, and Tulsa, OK [...]​
Mizzou? No way. Holding out for the “Cybertruck, Longhorn Edition”. Burnt orange with white rims. Photoshoppers, have at it.

Last edited:
After having listened to the TSLA Thirdrow podcast, I can say that I didn't learn anything new other than Giga Berlin isn't just a copy of Giga Shanghai - it'll have a new paintshop where it'll incorporate some 3 levels of paint to make the paint look more 3D and "pop" more and that paint tech will slowly make it into US based Model 3's sometime in the next 2 years. Most of Elon's comments were echo's of what he said in the past, and Monroe and Elon only had 1-2 back and forths in the 30 minutes Elon was apart of the show.

Clean air for Angelenos? "Video or it never happened":

"Helicopter View of Los Angeles (Update) | April 10th 2020"

EVs can't come fast enough, but 'gassers' gotta go too.

#EPA #DOYOURJOB

No doubt EVs would help this but please let's not overhype this:

1) Los Angeles' air is always much cleaner after lots of rain

2) Even EVs pollute particulate matter via tire wear. That's a big deal. More EVs isn't the same as less cars on road. Why does everyone ignore this?

EDIT

Based on this study, tire wear isn't that big of a contributor. I don't know of other studies. So really, just ignore point #2. I'm a dumbarse.

Last edited: