Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Two CleanTechnica articles based on the podcast:

The Redesign Of The Tesla Model Y Body Was Inspired By A Toy Car | CleanTechnica

“The manufacturing cost is much less and we see a 30% reduction in the size of the body shop, which is huge,” Musk said.

Tesla's Octovalve Enabled A Staggering 10% Increase In Range For The Model Y | CleanTechnica

The integration of the thermal systems in the vehicle into a single functional system resulted in a 10% increase in range of the vehicle. Elon said that the improvements in the heating system tech in the Model Y result in a range that is comparable to the more aerodynamic, lighter Tesla Model 3.

Both seem like a pretty big deal, and it will be great when they get back-ported to the Model 3. (And the S, X, Roadster, Semi, Cybertruck, etc.) Though it seems like they are probably waiting on the Model 3 move to the cast rear-frame while they continue to expand and refine it:

The new rear assembly in the Model Y represents a drastic improvement over the Model 3, and Tesla is already hard at work on the next generation. “The single piece casting has no CNC machining,” Musk said on the Third Row Podcast. “It doesn’t even have datums. That’s profound, really. It took us a lot of iterations to get there. It sounds obvious.”

So it sounds like a Model 3 redesign is a couple years out.

Two CleanTechnica articles based on the podcast:

The Redesign Of The Tesla Model Y Body Was Inspired By A Toy Car | CleanTechnica

Tesla's Octovalve Enabled A Staggering 10% Increase In Range For The Model Y | CleanTechnica

Both seem like a pretty big deal, and it will be great when they get back-ported to the Model 3. (And the S, X, Roadster, Semi, Cybertruck, etc.) Though it seems like they are probably waiting on the Model 3 move to the cast rear-frame while they continue to expand and refine it:

So it sounds like a Model 3 redesign is a couple years out.

Expect the redesign to be implemented with every new GF instead of the Model. It will make a difference in the years to come where your Model 3 is produced.

Its about the machine that builds the machine and although a redesign for instance in Fremont would be a positive Tesla will not step back on production volume that it would costs . That makes a lot of sense.

The Model Y produced in Germany in a year may likely be better and lower costs than the one produced in Shanghai or Fremont.

Last edited:
No doubt EVs would help this but please let's not overhype this:

1) Los Angeles' air is always much cleaner after lots of rain

2) Even EVs pollute particulate matter via tire wear. That's a big deal. More EVs isn't the same as less cars on road. Why does everyone ignore this?

Because it's a really really dumb point.

You can all thank me for selling at $525. I could have bought at 450 but didn't. Now I will be coming to buy back my shares with my tail between my legs :(

Will reload IRA account this week

Sold 105 shares at 573 on Friday, confident that I would be able to pick them up 30 or 40 dollars cheaper after the weekend.

LOL f**#ing rocket ship. Goddamn Space X.

This is a small percentage of my overall holdings but goddam lost a quick 150 bump. See, should have sold TODAY confident I could get those 105 shares back at a lower price.

Anyway....plan to get them all back plus. Soon. Maybe learn my lesson this time. NEVER SELL ONLY BUY o_O

Have to admit if it was anything more than a fraction of my ownership would have lost my mind, so I feel for you. As it is I am OK if it continues to go up 10% a day for the next few weeks.

Yesterday TSLA was up by nearly Ford's market cap, and it's getting close to doing it again today. So now up by close to 2X Ford's market cap in two days. I think the market is telling us something.

I'm thinking if the stock continues on this tear Tesla should perhaps raise more cap to swoop up any factories that might become vacant from zombie ICE firms....

I'm thinking if the stock continues on this tear Tesla should perhaps raise more cap to swoop up any factories that might become vacant from zombie ICE firms....

It's very unlikely that those factories are set up to make Tesla cars.

So before they can build any Teslas they will have to get rid of all the junk from the previous owner. And then the buildings may not match the Gigafactory setups. So they would have to upgrade the buildings.

Sounds like a lot of extra work to me.

One thing I'd worry about building a GF in that part of the country is the damaging tornadoes. Much of the lower midwest is in "Tornado Alley," a region that receives a significant amount of unstable weather. In 2011 Joplin was hammered by a category 5 tornado.

Indeed. I briefly lived in Joplin in the early eighties. During the spring we were constantly under tornado alerts. In 2011 my apartment building was blown away along with many others.

2011 Joplin tornado - Wikipedia

One thing I'd worry about building a GF in that part of the country is the damaging tornadoes. Much of the lower midwest is in "Tornado Alley," a region that receives a significant amount of unstable weather. In 2011 Joplin was hammered by a category 5 tornado.

Tornados are scary, but do surprisingly targeted damage.

I live in the bay and was there during the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake but am from the midwest and am currently in "tornado alley" right now. Earthquakes worry more more than tornados.

Also worth noting that the biggest insurance claims by tornado are 1/5th the largest claims for an earthquake.

• Helpful
Reactions: UncaNed
So was Jarrell, TX (outside of Austin), specifically named in a recent GF rumor. I remember when that happened. Absolutely unreal.
upload_2020-4-14_15-26-48.png

"Each residence was completely dismantled, swept away, and reduced to a concrete slab, while trees in the area were completely shredded and debarked, and grassy fields were scoured to a depth of 18 inches."

1997 Central Texas tornado outbreak - Wikipedia

Last edited: