Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
STOP-signs are hard, Karpathy said, and I see that they are still working on it.....
This doesn't give me very much confidence, I mean STOP - signs are pretty elementary thing for driving.
Q: do their work on stop signs only improve the stop signs detection or the whole FSD thing? I guess one can work on stop signs for a very long time (because missing them is the biggest risk) while achieving pretty good results in all the other areas.

STOP-signs are hard, Karpathy said, and I see that they are still working on it.....
This doesn't give me very much confidence, I mean STOP - signs are pretty elementary thing for driving.

You need to watch the video and see the pictures of semi obscured stop signs they are sourcing from the fleet.

Then ask how their competitors are going to solve this problem.

He did NOT say Stop Signs are hard. He said that their is a long tail of special circumstances which can occur along with the detection of a stop sign. That's what the training of the neural net does, and why data volume is important, along with the ability to query the fleet for a specific type of detection.

Further, Andrei said that Tesla creates and stores low resolution maps so that the NAV system knows that there is a stop sign at a particular intersection; the task is to find it visually. This is the way humans drive when they are familar with a route.

Confidence is based on understanding. Tesla's approach is rock solid, and like the Matrix, inevitable, Mr. Anderson.

He did NOT say Stop Signs are hard. He said that their is a long tail of special circumstances which can occur along with the detection of a stop sign. That's what the training of the neural net does, and why data volume is important, along with the ability to query the fleet for a specific type of detection.

Further, Andrei said that Tesla creates and stores low resolution maps so that the NAV system knows that there is a stop sign at a particular intersection; the task is to find it visually. This is the way humans drive when they are familar with a route.

Confidence is based on understanding. Tesla's approach is rock solid, and like the Matrix, inevitable, Mr. Anderson.

The maps thing is under estimated and something I always expected...

That is why a car might recognise a stop sign covered in snow, when it knows a stop sign was there previously...

Eventually I think Tesla can build and maintain their own maps with sufficient data for navigation...

Tesla China already sold 11280 cars in March?

Tesla is going way too fast! Slow down or Mark's estimates will be crushed AGAIN:

Spiegel.jpg

Consider what a Tesla advertisement would be like. Elon Musk driven ideals and standards would disrupt the advertising industry. Imagine the pool of talent in Los Angeles and Hollywood that would clamor to be part of the project. Elon’s gravitas would attract all the right players.
Jack, welcome back. Enjoy your posts.

This is not meant to prolong the advertising discussion but even though I may not agree with some of the pro-advertising POV's in this thread, I do agree that if Tesla did it, it would be disruptive and would be another example of first principles shaking up an entrenched, lethargic, comfortable industry ripe for a shake up.

But the main point I want to make is your reference to Simon Sinek's TED talk which I've referenced repeatedly over the years to whomever will listen. The Golden Circle explanation he uses was before Tesla was on his radar but it would have been a perfect example of the What, How, Why bullseye that explains why I'm in the tempered advertising camp.

I've linked the talk to those that may have never seen it but it really dials in to explaining the reasoning behind why Tesla has developed a cult following. For those that have difficulty in explaining it to friends and acquaintances, have them watch this and substitute Tesla for Apple.

Apple is a progressive company that spends quite a bit on sustainability and has progressive energy goals.

Apple is a marketing company. They understand the value of greenwashing, so they stick solar panels on the roof of their headquarters. Whoop-de-do. We are talking about the company who literally invented the whole idea of soldering batteries permenantly into the phone or ipad or laptop to make it impossible to buy replacements, and create a technological waste mountain. They are the company who are wolrd leaders in tax avoidance. They are the company who are world leaders in having shiny, clean-looking products made in what amounts to sweatshop conditions in the cheapest country they can find.

Teslas mission is to accelerate the transition to renewable energy to save mankind from climate change.
Apples mission is to just make as much money as possible, and pay as little of it in tax or wages as they can.

The day apple get involved with tesla is the day I sell every single share I own, and the car too.

Link to the note: BofA downgrades Tesla to sell on valuation after recet rally TSLA - The Fly

Target drop from $500 to $485,
US premarket price down 0.25%.

"BofA analyst John Murphy downgraded Tesla to Underperform from Neutral with a price target of $485, down from $500. The shares closed Tuesday down 8%, or $59.64, to $686.72. The analyst cites valuation for the downgrade following the stock's recent rally. Tesla faces several hurdles, including production challenges, a burnout pattern for new models, continued cash burn, and the prospect of new competition, Murphy tells investors in a research note. In addition, the analyst cut his global volume forecasts for autos, believing the recovery will be "tepid" U-shape as economies are reopened."

The bold part could as well have been written two or three years ago.

- The ever lasting cash burn? News flash: 2019 saw positive cash flow
- The always present dark cloud of new competition? News flash: it has been there for ten years and it still didn't start raining.
- Production challenges? News flash: Model Y proudction is half a year ahead of schedule and was going through a smooth ramp before corona hit. Model 3 production in GF Shanghai is ahead of schedule too.

I'm downgrading John Murphy. From nitwit to dumbo.

I thought he has zero position in Tesla and even wrote about reflecting on the biggest loss of his life. This is his way of reflecting? The dude needs a therapist.

This is obviously personal for him. Even if he has no position, he will continue to spew this nonsense for many years to come. My best advice to TSLA investors is to block him and pay zero attention to him. He has literally been wrong about everything over the years, so you will not be missing out on a pertinent bear case that could help your investment thesis.

Last edited:

People don't recognize stop signs that are added to an existing route.
Back in my thirties a two way stop was changed to a 4 way stop. It was a heavily wooded sleepy intersection in a subdivision.
Was stopped by a policeman and was surprised that the sign had been up for a week.